Blatant Lie, or is it possible?

by pseudoxristos 23 Replies latest jw friends

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Quote of a Witness, while discussing the Jan 1, 1989 Watchtower versus the 1989 bound volume:

"The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed IN OUR 20TH CENTURY."

[emphasis added]

However there are some that actually read like this:

"The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed IN OUR DAY."

[emphasis added]

It was an interesting study to say the least. My copy read as the first example but my wife's read as the second example. There are things that are refered to as "typo" errors. Mystery solved.

I feel relatively sure that this is just a blatant lie, but I am curious if this could even be remotely possible. I?m also wondering how to handle this in a debate situation.

Pseudo

but the FACT is once out of the congregation, once outside the organization, an enormously large percentage of them go on to practice filth and debauchery of ALL sorts.

--Anonymous Jehovah's Witness (2004)--

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I feel relatively sure that this is just a blatant lie, but I am curious if this could even be remotely possible.

It is a fact. If you've seen the literature, then you know this is a fact. If you've seen the literature and wonder if those FACTS are "remotely possible," then you are, to say the least, really REALLY stupid!

In all fairness to the WTS, this is one of the very FEW changes they've made from the magazines to the bound volumes. They are mostly the same. But this makes it even more significant. Why just this one? What does it mean? What are they trying to hide or cover up? Nonetheless, this is a significant change and a devious one. They changed their doctrine by this change, and they never notified their followers about it. The WTS hopes they can get away with murder using stealth publishing. Unfortunatly for them, there are we demonized apostates who won't let them get away with anything. We have nothing to lose, and we know that they have EVERYTHING to lose by their lies and deceptions and manipulations when they are exposed by the likes of us. No wonder they don't want their followers to see the truth or even ASK about what is the truth. They would lose all that power and all that manipulation and all that big money. And all their followers. This would not be good for them.

Wanna pet a lion in paradise? This is what they offer you. It only costs you your entire life invested in them to realize this lion you might just pet.

Farkel

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

typographical error

(typo) An error while inputting text via keyboard, made
    despite the fact that the user knows exactly what to type in.
    This usually results from the operator's inexperience at
    keyboarding, rushing, not paying attention, or carelessness.

Lets face it, it ain't a typo. The 'spirit directed' author believed it.

• Crooked Lumpy Vessel
    Crooked Lumpy Vessel

I have a box of Watchtowers and Awakes in a box underneath my stairs dating back to 1982. I could never throw a magazine away because I thought it was like throwing God's word in the trash or something. Or maybe the armaggedon would come and all the nazi-like monsters would ban the religion and this would be the only place I could get my spiritual food.(Ok...you can all laugh at me now) If you havent guessed yet, I am still much of a basket case.

Anyway, maybe sometime this week I will pull my box of magazines out and compare it to my bound volumes. I have bound volumes dating back to 1970.

I dont understand why the bound volume would be different than the actual magazine. When you open them up they are basically a years supply of Watchtowers and Awakes smooshed together in a bound cover. Nothing to retype. And as far as the CD-ROM, all the text materials were already on a computer disk anyway(copy/paste). Nothing would need to be retyped except materials that dated back before the computer was introduced.

Well, I guess it will be interesting.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    In all fairness to the WTS, this is one of the very FEW changes they've made from the magazines to the bound volumes. They are mostly the same. But this makes it even more significant. Why just this one? What does it mean? What are they trying to hide or cover up? Nonetheless, this is a significant change and a devious one. They changed their doctrine by this change, and they never notified their followers about it.

I really hope that many, including our lurkers, have taken notice of Fark's important point.

It's like those who re-write history. They reveal something of themselves when they do it.

So it is with re-writing of doctrine.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Crooked Lumpy Vessel
    Crooked Lumpy Vessel

I just spent the last 40 minutes under my stairs. I found Feb 15,1989 then my 87s. Urgh! Then I went to my bound volumes for 1989....its missing. I have everything from 1965 to present but 1989 in missing. I am extremely curious now.

My next step is to visit one of my pioneer sisters or visit the Kingdom Hall. It would be much easier if someone could scan the article.

Phew!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi and welcome CLV!

From the CD-Rom (which follows the bound volume):

About 47-48 C.E., God, through holy spirit, indicated a decisive move for the expansion of the missionary work. The record at Acts 13:2-4 tells us: "The holy spirit said: ?Of all persons set Barnabas and Saul apart for me for the work to which I have called them.? . . . Accordingly these men, sent out by the holy spirit, went down to Seleucia [the seaport of Syrian Antioch], and from there they sailed away to Cyprus." How thrilling that must have been for Paul and Barnabas?sailing to their first foreign assignment! The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our day.
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

The CD and Bound Vols have "...in our day".
    The original Wt, which we took around the doors, had "...in our 20th Century".

I checked it, when I first heard of it from this site, nearly three years ago.
    I showed my wife and family, but they were unphased.
    The ironic thing being that it was my wife's study copy - LOL.

Sadly I can't photostat it for you, as I left the library with herself...

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Here are a couple of scans I made of the change:

http://www.network-innovation.net/WT-1-1-1989-original.jpg

http://www.network-innovation.net/WT-1-1-1989-bound-volume.jpg

If it was just an honest mistake they could have added a footnote in the bound volume to explain it.

Walter

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Typo my foot! I saw them editing and inspecting several times at Bethel.

No, I wasn't a bethelite. I went there for a tour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit