How Long did it take you to re-build?

by Scooby 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

9 years for me too, just over I have been out, the first few years were hell, sheer torment in my soul, after which, time healed and I met new genuine people who cared and showed me new perspectives. I love natural landscapes and often would take myself out on walks just .... to be, to be in my thoughts, to not feel shame for thinking the worst, to cry like a baby when I needed it, to just let the emotions flow through, over me, until eventually, a great recovery started taking shape. I also saw voluntarily a psychologist when I was at my most suicidal, which help, benefited vastly.

Today, pretty much so, I am happy and though I have the odd moments of melancholy, I reckon I've become quite level headed anmd very positive on the whole.

May peace always be your companion and friend.

My kindest regards to you and best wishes.

Celtic Mark - West Cornwall, UK

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Hey Scoobie,

I'm really newly out so I don't know much rebuilding I've done. I will share my philosophy on how I'm doing it though. :)

Like you, I wasn't raised in. I too am going back to my early 20's. I'm back in school, and am trying to start a home-based writing business. Both are dreams I had since back then and even though it's huge work to do it, they help me with the pain of the losses I've suffered.

My losses, however, aren't all JW related and for me that is my biggest focus. I'm looking into abandonment and loss recovery and some of the JW stuff spills into that (like the shunning and my blood related sister).

I agree with the posters who said they 'took a break' from religion. I feel that all my perspectives are skewed on that and while I go through waves of wanting to know more and have answers, on the whole I am trying to avoid anything deeper than a 'bird's-eye' view of it. I'm also looking at all sorts of information that was formerly 'taboo' with the intent that knowledge is power. I've read some interesting things on Goddess worship, Wicca, Astrology and various Christian publications/websites. I'm trying to lay a foundation of general beliefs the world over, just for my own information and curiosity. Whether I'll believe anything, or nothing is still to be seen and I'm learning to be patient with myself over that.

I don't know if I'll ever find answers, but at least I won't be ignorant while I'm answerless. At least I hope I won't be. hehe

My 2 cents.

• gumby
    gumby

First I want to say how nice it is for everyone to put in the kind of effort they have on this thread for this guy scooby......lots bleeding hearts

I don't know what to say in view of what has already been said.

I don't believe a time element can be put on anyone person as far as how long it takes to shake the dub out of a person. I believe I will be affected for the rest of my life to be honest. I have zero guilt that I displease god, or that I made the wrong choice leaving the Witnesses.....absolutely zero doubt in my mind.....yet in some strange way can get a feeling of "dubguilt" in certain scenarios as if I feel I'm the one whose wrong and I screwed things up. These are the feelings that are hard to shake. Your convinced your life is cool and on the right track, yet a part of you will still somewhat condemn you.

What makes the journey hard for me .....aside from a dub-induced family mess.......is wanting answers to the things that appealed to you before becoming a dub such as "why am I here, where am I going" type questions.......and not being able to find answers......except through the journey. While your on this "journey" if you find anything......let me know cuz my roads barren as far as answers go.

Have fun in life, be good, and be safe......and keep on your journey road, having fun while your on it.

Gumby

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

How to break the cult spell? The time will come..... Yes, that moment of truth.You will reel in convulsive horror. That sudden impact shocker,knowing that your life of dreams are dashed. The anguish and the agony of,having to renounce the life long convictions of your heart. Soul Rape, to know that all you believed in is a LIE. Prepare your family and yourself as you would for a disaster drill. Remember our survivalist creedo;"There is( a good) life after the cult". Help is only a mouse click away. Undaunted Danny,AKA Rollingthunderboywonder

Read his story in the Maine Times [text version] I was raised 3rd generation X 33 years.I'll call myself a 'typical God fearing indoctrinated devout JW. It took 5 years to accept and resolve in my heart that they are a man made false,'fraud in the name of God' ripoff religious racket. My exit date was January 5th 1992 I'm still rebuilding. There was NOTHING available to help with my exit back then.Now help is only a mouse click away. www.freeminds.org www.DannyHaszard.com
  • talesin
    talesin

I think that in some ways, it will always affect me. The loss of immediate family (once ma and pa are gone, that will be IT) is the hardest and has the most lasting effect on me. We were really never close with other JWs, too much time spent door-to-door, etc. to socialize a lot. It took a few years for me to let go of Harmageddon, and the religious stuff.

Reading, educating oneself about other belief systems, can be very comforting and enlightening. Open your mind to the possibilities - they are limitless. Explore philosophy. Discover where your spirituality lies. For me, that was key. My solace came from nature. The beauty of the sky, the comfort of looking into a puppy's eyes, the fluttering of the leaves in the breeze, and MOST of all the sound of water - especially the sea.

But, I have found that, as an another poster said, there were greater issues. Specifically, abuse that I received as a child (which is in no way limited to the JWs) was the real problem that I had to overcome. These issues haunt my sleep (what little I get), and have affected my health and relationships all my life. Therapy has helped me, but I was able to find someone who came from a similar repressive religious background, so she understood the isolation of the JW upbringing as well as my abuse issues.

I sometimes think of the healing process as climbing a mountain. It has been a long climb up that mountain, and sometimes I slip back on a shale slope. At other times, I take a break, set up camp and rest for a while, enjoying the view from my present position. The journey continues, but I will get there, to the top, eventually. I can see it now -- and it looks like the view of the world from from the top of my mountain is gonna be glorious!

You'll get there, Scooby. Be kind to yourself, rest when you need it. Take time out to have some silly fun whenever you can. And if you have 'other' issues, I urge you to deal with them as well.

talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit