Brits find a new use for condoms!

by ozziepost 16 Replies latest social current

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

On today's news downunder is this piece about what some Brits did with their condoms:

Two charged over Blair stunt
    10:04 AEST Fri May 21 2004
    AFP - Police charged two fathers' rights activists with lobbing a condom full of purple-coloured flour at British Prime Minister Tony Blair in parliament, triggering a security alert.

The incident, during Blair's weekly question period, prompted a full-scale review of security at the British parliament, focusing minds on what could have happened if toxic chemicals had been involved.

"This was a serious incident," Hain said. "I have asked for an immediate report."

The main public gallery overlooking the Commons, the lower chamber of the world's oldest parliament, has been enclosed behind air-tight glass since Easter as a security precaution.

But the well-dressed activists gained admission to another, unenclosed VIP gallery, using tickets given to a charity auction by a member of the upper House of Lords, Baroness Llin Golding, press reports said.

Heads swung up from the MPs' green leather benches as the condoms came down at Blair, who was exchanging rhetorical blows with opposition Conservative leader Michael Howard 18 minutes into Prime Minister's Questions.

One of the condoms narrowly missed the prime minister, but the second hit him at the back at shoulder level, sending up a puff of purple haze.

Blair took refuge in his parliamentary office as police in chemical suits declared the substance to be harmless flour. The Commons resumed sitting 70 minutes later to debate pension legislation.

Seems they really love their Blair!!

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Ozzie,

I saw the video. His reaction was rather calm, considering the condom could have been filled with anthrax or something worse .

Jst2laws

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Everyone was calm, that's the British, you just have to admire them. The guy who told everyone to leave even admitted on tv that he made a mistake, pointing out that he had done the exact wrong thing if it had been a biohazard. No justifying, ass-covering, or blaming of others. I was so impressed.

• talesin
    talesin

I couldn't help but think about this .

Prime Minister Jean Chretien is seen in a four picture sequence as a man throws a cream pie into his face during a visit to Charlottetown, P.E.I. Aug. 16, 2000. (CP PHOTO, CBC-TV) LMAO!!!! Looks good on ya, Jean!
  • Englishman
    Englishman

Here ya go:

alt

Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

So, the Canucks use creamy pies and the Brits use creamy condoms!

The Brits always liked the sexy stuff, didn't they!!!

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

myauntfanny:

"Everyone was calm, that's the British, you just have to admire them" LMAO!!!!!

I think you must be viewing the English through rosie coloured glasses - were as bad as anyone else...

As regards the admitting mistakes were made, that's the new way of politicians 'covering their asses'. If they don't admit it, an inquiry will be launched, fingers pointed and someone has to resign. If they do admit it, it's now the new 'open and honest culture' - big pat on the back, 'there there there', don't do it again, 'aren't we more honest than the conservatives' routines.

All the efforts of those poor fathers rights activists will only be forgotten or ignored anyway, but at least it made us smile!! I wonder if they could use a different container for the flour next time though... baked bean tin, coconut.... Grenade maybe ??? I wonder if they'll take service improvement suggestions on their websites....

• Brummie
    Brummie

They guy who threw this is a real jerk! He even looks like a prat and sits there saying he was only trying to show that the Prime minister wasnt safe and needed protecting...durr! Well with loonies like him around its of little wonder.

Brummie

• Angharad
    Angharad
    that the Prime minister wasnt safe and needed protecting...durr! Well with loonies like him around its of little wonder.

Well yeah he did show the government security up, because a screen costing £600,000 was fitted just weeks ago and they got in front of it just by winning an auction !

This group have done a number of high publicity stunts lately to draw attention to their cause (climbed Big Ben and some suspension bridge as well I think).

• logical
    logical
    I saw the video. His reaction was rather calm, considering the condom could have been filled with anthrax or something worse

Thats cos he knew all about it in advance. He signalled right before it happened... first he repeated the same words 3 times, then he signalled with his glasses. It was all a stunt, to keep drumming in the "terrorism" shit into people, and to further restrict our rights. Eventually the commons will be totally closed off to the public.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit