Blacks can't speak English - Bill Cosby

by closer2fine 129 Replies latest jw friends

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

Im sorry if i sounded racist I really REALLY didn't want to sound like I was. I'm really not racist against any language, I'm not afraid to talk to anybody from any race, I won't hesitate to talk to a black person to a white person to a hispanic person or anything. I really REALLY didn't want to sound racist because I don't think I am. I don't really even have to try not to be racist because I just know that Im not. Sorry everybody Im like super really sorry.

• talesin
    talesin

ObviouslySecret

I know you're having a hard time right now. I've been reading your posts since day one. Sometimes when we're frustrated and upset, things don't come out exactly as we mean. I'm sure, now that you've explained what you mean, everyone will understand, hon.

talesin

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface
    Talisen : So perhaps this debate is based somewhat, on a misunderstanding in the definition of terms?

somehow I think we should have step back from there ...

What I truly like in Leolaia's job is that she truly demonstrate the fact that every structured way to communicate is a language and well it is true since 2 people can talk the same way (with the same rules even by hands or eyes) be alone with them and YOU are in trouble. Like it or not, that you or any majority do not easely understand it doesn't change that fact.

Now that is the real problem : being understood - and moreover the way you need to be (related to the situation) that is a skill (Able) but also a choice conscious or not (I am what I am).

that is why

The only people that I have seen that actually try and make something of themselves have been around white kids for a good portion of time. Sad really... Lol it's already 10 times harder for a black kid to get to college and most of them act lazier than white stoner kids.
    Amac : You've got to be absolutely f***ing kidding me...please tell me that your profile is correct and you are only 16 years old and your racist attitude is based on ignorance. Please tell me this is so and that there is a chance you may grow and learn.

Black people live in a country that is slanted against them, and you blame them for not dealing with it and overcoming it...

If someone is continually being robbed by their neighbor, would you just tell them to work harder to secure there belongings?

IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !

This is what I don't understand with those who feels in higher standard. So to the question to why this man/woman will have to work harder his whole life ? The answer would be : because he is black. Now what if this guy become your boss ? how do you feel now, how are you gonna take it ? It is like blaming the "Blacks" to be in the "Women" situation and that they didn't get totally out of it yet ... ("No woman, no cry")

I can understand that some people don't feel the need to know more about why ... That doesn't mean there's no real problem here ! Nothing that can be put as : You can if you want (NO) that's bullshit (nobody got such control on his own life - there's always a pain in the ass who can break your neck) now strong or not it will always depend on "WHAT" those "WHO" are affected have to face and what they have faced before (I mean : the cross point).

If every effort was equaly apraised I guess that everybody who wanted to to be rich would be. Now do you think that every rich people deserved to be ? Are they all more skilled ? Did they all more "whatever" ?

Obviously secret

Your apologize was very sweet ... Now you know what ? I feel sorry for you being so sorry ... forget about it

• avishai
    avishai
    (nobody got such control on his own life - there's always a pain in the ass who can break your neck)

Wow. I don't know when I've seen it put so well. Do i have your permission to use that phrase?

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Avi : "hight five !" (not my words but a peace of all of you, I've probably read it somewhere) your choice anyway ...

• Navigator
    Navigator

We are all victims or beneficiaries of our culture to some extent. Parents are an important part of the equation and must bear some of the responsibility. My mother taught Latin in the public school system for more than 30 years. She generally had quite a few Jewish students. Why? Because their parents insisted that they take the class. She was always glad to have them because she knew that one phone call home relating that "Abie" was not performing would take care of the situation.

The Fort Worth Star Telegram recently posted a page listing all of the local high schools valedictorians and salutatorians. A disproportionate number of the names were Asian. Are Asians smarter than anglo whites? Probably not. Do they work harder and have strong family bonds? You bet they do!

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

I think Mr. Cosby was only trying to stir the thinking process of his audience. There is in my opinion weight in his words. Regardless of how we wish to speak, we are subject to the opinions of those we might seek employment from, people in positions of authority and those we may happen upon walking down the street.

For a sector of society to be constantly bitching about their lot in life, and yet embrace practices and attitudes that in some encite racist remarks, is self defeating and foolish stubborness.

Wether you like it or not you are judged by how you speak, how you dress and how you act. I run a small home repair business and while some one might be more than qualified to go into a clients home and make the needed repairs, if they spoke in such a manner as Mr. Cosby talked about, I wouldn't even think of hiring them.

Its about time for those in positions of influence to encourage such ones to be the best they can be. Education is available to all. Hell the only people that pay for college any more are 40 year old white men. People should be responsible for their own situation. They have to be the ones to choose to rise above their circumstances. There are too many "easy ways out". alcohol, drugs, crime.

Embracing diversity has never been one of mankind's strong points. We are supposed to be the "United States" but we are anything but united.

Thunder

• nilfun
    nilfun

Loved Larry's comments also

My thoughts: Bill Cosby, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, MLK, Mal. X, etc. does not speak for the entire Afro-American race. They are people great in their own right, they have many fine points to make, I respect them and their accomplishments, but they don't represent me.

No race has a monopoly on proper speech.

Before the King James version of the bible was produced, English was the bastard 'ghetto' language of the day.

Education is the key to getting a better job, making more money, etc., but it's not the key for being a better human being.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is real Black Vernacular that is devoid of slang but has many dialectal features and is used in a most poetic way. It is a prayer given by Walter Simmons in the 1970s (statements by his wife are in parentheses):

"I ain't no preacher, I can't preach. Let us praise God. (Mmm-hmmm) De day is past an gone. (Lord have mercy) An de evenin shall appear. (Mmmm-hmmm) Oh, may we all remember well when de night of death draw nigh. We'll lay our garment by and upon our bed to res. An soon, death will corrode us all (Lord have mercy), an what we have possessed. Dis day, dis day, our Father (Lord Jesus), here is a few, of our own han made. We 'semble ourselves together, our Father, not because we could 'semble here, neither to be seen by man. But, our Father, I aks you please, oh please, our Father, while you ridin' (Oh please have mercy), on de route one ridin on to Jericho. Please, stop by dis house dis day, our Father, 'cause I want to give you thanks, our Father, for how las night's sleep has not found me dead. Here our early rise dis mornin hasn't found us to dead man bed (Oooh, yes). Den, den, den, our Father, you lay me down las night, an you sen your angel an you guard me alllll night long. An soooon dis mornin, our Father, you wake us up. Our Father, we are clothed, in our right mind (Lord, have mercy). An our Father, we want to give you another thanks, our Father, dat when you wake us up dis mornin, we found here a cooool worl (Mmm-hmm), where yo prayers can be ascendin an your sins can be forgiven. An den, den, den, our Father, we -- we got some boys, an we got some girls, walkin up an down wid a stiff neck an a rebellious heart. Pleeease, oh pleeease, my Father (Oh, please God), call dem, my Father, an tell em dat de wages of sin is Death, an de gift of God is Eternal Life (Mmm-hmmm). Tell dem, our Father, dat de train dey ridin on is FULL OF DEAD MAN BONES. Make dem know, our Father, dat de house is on fire, an de roof is what burnin down (Lord, have mercy). Make dem know, our Father, dat you is de God, an beside you is no other. Make dem know, our Father, dat you can defen, an you will destroy. An our Father, make dem know, our Father, dat when you thunder in de eas (Mmmm-hmmm), no man can thunder in the wes (Mmmmmmmm), after you."

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Leo,

Thaaaanks for sharing dat.

You find some good stuff,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit