Blacks can't speak English - Bill Cosby

by closer2fine 129 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Scotsman,

Uneducated whites speak quite funny too, but since we were on the topic of an African-American person making 'x' comment, I just gave my honest opinion.

I'm not a racist, I just can handle the truth. Can you?

DY

• Room 215
    Room 215

Like it or not, fairly or otherwise, we're judged by how we speak; nothing said here gainsays that simple fact.

• scotsman
    scotsman

And the truth is that there are many different ways of speaking English (as Leolaia's posts excellently explain), not just one correct way.

Referring to Bill Cosby as 'one of their own' implies that you lump all black people together as something apart from non black people. And as to using Hispanics as an example of being dirty and on welfare, it's got nothing to do with their race and to suggest otherwise is IMHO racist. maybe that's a truth you don't want to face.

The thread certainly makes it clear that the class system is live and kicking.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I didn't read every post in this thread, but I wanted to add my two cents. I see a lot of comments about slang English versus correct English, but I want to comment on the wider issue that Bill Cosby seemed to be addressing that the fact many black people stay on the lower economic class or end up in jail more is because of their own choices. That I agree with.

One example I see locally is the school system. Here in DC the school system has been in turmoil for years with low test scores and poor performance and there's always finger pointing between the school board, teachers and the city government. The school board is elected right now and the mayor wants to take over the schools and appoint a superintendent. They can fingerpoint amongst themselves all they want but it is my contention that the major influence in a child doing well in school is the parent and not the school. I went to a high school that was over 80% black in what was in at least one year said to be one of the three poorest counties in the country. On standardized tests, we consistently came in the lowest in the state. Yet, somehow on all standardized tests I took, I managed to score at least in the 90th percentile (keep in mind this is a comparison against the whole country), I managed to score high enough on both the ACT and the SAT on the first go around to get my college education fully paid for, and I managed to complete my college education successfully in the top 25% of my class. I'm not a genius or any smarter than anyone else, but my parents provided the environment and support for doing the things I needed to do in school and we chose to do that.

On the other hand, these days I hear other PARENTS complaining about how much homework their child has. Are these the same people who complain about their child not getting an adequate education? It is the school's responsibility to provide a child with the information and a little prodding or guidance in the direction needed. It is the parent's and the child's responsibility to make sure the child learns it. It is not the school's responsibility to teach a child morals, proper social behavior, feed them, discipline them or build the child's self-esteem or any other part of their psyche although at times they take on some of these jobs. All of that is the parent's responsibility. When a school system or an individual teacher takes on those tasks, they are going above and beyond. Yet many parents try to push those jobs off on the school or blame the school when the parent has failed at his/her job. I don't see being in a poor or even subpar school district as an excuse not to get an adequate education. A child may not have the latest lab equipment and may not get to go on some of the nicer field trips. They may even have very 20 year old textbooks with a few pages torn out, but the basics haven't changed and a good parent will make sure their child learns the basics. I have a 22 year old Algebra text book in my office now. I was in Alegebra class for the first time about 13 years ago, so I know not much changed up till then. And I'd bet you that 99% of the material is the same as today's textbooks. There's probably a little more geared toward the use of graphical calculators. Probably more has changed in other sciences like biology with the genetic research that has gone on and I hope no one is using a 20 year old biology book, but even there much of the basics are the same.

Schools are just one example. Far too often, I see some black people pull the race card for situation over which they had control. You don't have to break the law. You don't have to insist on speaking slang English or wearing inapprorpriate clothing on a job interview. You don't have to be irresponsible on the job. You don't have to be late. (CP time is BS.) You don't have to waist your money gambling or drinking beer. You don't have to abuse drugs. You don't have to waste your time hanging out or talking with your friends when you should be studying or preparing for the next day's tasks. Many black people already know this, they find out what they have to do to go where they want to go, and they execute. Others, not only blacks, refuse to take responsibility and continue to blame others for the consequences of their own actions.

• amac
    amac
    we're judged by how we speak;

Exactly and that is only a small part of a bigger problem. Black or hispanic accents are judged negatively. European accents are not. Why is that?

many black people stay on the lower economic class or end up in jail more is because of their own choices. That I agree with.

I believe this is a common narrow view of a much more complicated and complex problem. Its hard to fault this view if one is only scratching the surface of this problem. But do you think people honestly WANT to be on the lower economic class? I am in agreement about personal responsibility being a major factor. But are blacks as a group simply irresponsible? Certainly not. When you live in a society that is slanted AGAINST you, where are you motivations and inspirations? When you are taught your own history and your people are made out to be babbling idiots, what do you expect a child to think of his future?

Look at how high school history treats black history. They make John Brown, one of the few white men to actually fight back on behalf of blacks, as being insane and fanatical. They blame the failure of Reconstruction on blacks rather than racist opposition. Today's American History is MUCH better than the pre-60's but it still fails to hold out an important position in our society for young African Americans & Native Americans and other minorities.

And this is still only a small portion of the vicious cycle of American racism.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    Referring to Bill Cosby as 'one of their own' implies that you lump all black people together as something apart from non black people. And as to using Hispanics as an example of being dirty and on welfare, it's got nothing to do with their race and to suggest otherwise is IMHO racist. maybe that's a truth you don't want to face.

I take offense to that. My mom worked 2 jobs so as a single mom of two she wouldnt end up on welfare! She is Hispanic, Which IMHO Has nothing to do with anything at all.

• Realist
    Realist

has anyone heard chris rock's "blacks hate niggers"? found that one quite educational.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

I understand if Mr. Cosby's point was that parents need to take responsibility for their kids' education, and that we all need to take more personal responsibility in our lives - but sometimes he comes across as an arrogant f*ckwit.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

"But Black English is absolutely a dialect of English"

No its bad grammer and full of slang.

"Iz tolds her dat I donts needs no school!" [Something I heard in the reception area at work yesterday] is NOT a dialect of English. Its UNEDUCATED DRIVEL.

If you want to use improper English and slang with your friends- FINE. I do it all the time. HOWEVER, when you are out in society, at work, trying to get a job, etc.. etc.. ENGLISH needs to be used.

The problem is that some people do not know ENGLISH.

I went to a 'Black' highschool and I was a certified Ebonics speaker. I remember my Parents sitting me down one day and saying "What in the Hell are you saying. We dont understand you!"

Leave the Slang at HOME.

Our Education System needs an overhual. And I still cant spell.....

• flower
    flower
    Black or hispanic accents are judged negatively. European accents are not. Why is that?

Because there is no such thing as 'black accents'. Europeans speak like people from Europe, that is an accent. Blacks who were raised in Europe also have a EUROPEAN accent. Not an ebonics accent. Blacks who were born and raised in Africa have an African accent not an ebonics accent. Blacks in France speak with a French accent.

Ebonics is slang..period. Slang is fine for casual life if someone chooses to use it but if someone cant use proper english on a job interview, in a meeting or formal situation then shame on them and they have no right complaining about being oppressed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit