Biking for a reason...

by Evesapple 18 Replies latest social physical

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Hello everyone!

On June 6th I will be in Tahoe doing my first Century ride. I took up biking after my baby was born, because it became difficult to keep up my running, my gait was a little off and I kept suffering injury after injury. I felt the best way to really put my all into a new sport was to join a team. I found Team In Training, what a great group and a great cause. Not only have I learned so much about biking but also about Leukemia and Lymphoma Society that we are raising funds for. One of my very close friends father is currently dieing of Leukemia he's not responding to any treatment any longer. The young girl that I am honoring passed away before the age of 12, she lives here in St. Charles, IL.

The foundation has made much headway as far as getting closer to a cure. I'm glad I am a part of a great team that can support such a worthy cause.

If anyone is interested in obtaining further information, please visit my website: http://www.teamintraining.org/participant/steinberg-160224

Any donation would be very much appreciated as well.......

Thank you in advance for your support.......Wish me luck!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I just recently started researching Team in Training. What a great idea.

Best wishes on your ride, and I will definitely contribute for you.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Oh, thank you so much!!!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Eva how awesome!

I just viewed your website and it brought back so many memories! You are going to love this event, LSA treats it's participants first class all the way! I did my first century ride with them and went on to do several others and like you I learned so much about bike riding who woulda thought there is so much to riding a bike, eh? LOL

Oh and doing America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride at Lake Tahoe!!!!!! OMG!!!! Word of caution keep your eyes on the road remember the bike follows where your eyes go.........you could easily end up down a cliff looking at the beautiful lake, LOL

ENJOY!!!! ENJOY!!!! ENJOY!!!!

Please let us know how the ride went and PM me if you want, I'm really excited for you!

Kate May the wind be at your back and all the lights be green.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Hi Kate!

Thanks so much for your words of support...I will PM you as I will definitely want to get some input regarding that ride.

We were supposed to do an 80 mile training ride out in Long Grove, IL today, but we got rained out...we've had severe thunderstorms all day long. Two weeks until the big day...I am a little nervous but I am ready to do this.

I'll PM you tomorrow.

Thanks,

Eva

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    We were supposed to do an 80 mile training ride out in Long Grove, IL today, but we got rained out...we've had severe thunderstorms all day long. Two weeks until the big day...I am a little nervous but I am ready to do this.

Rained out! That won't stop a bike event and something you most likely won't face in California land of sunshine! If you can do 75% of the ride even if it's two back to back rides that add up to 75% at least two weeks before the event you'll do fine come event time. Don't push it the week prior to the event, in that weeks time you should only bike 50-75 miles total for the week, save your strength for the big day. Oh and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate starting 7 days before and cutting back two days before the ride. You know you've hydrated enough when your pee is clear. Very important coming from a moister climate to a dryer one like California, nothing takes a cyclist out quicker than lack of reserves.

I rode a major bike event in Arizona and 3 years in a row the weather was perfect 70+ then the 4th year it was awful, cold, windy and we even had a few showers but the event went on. My coach told me to always train in the worst days, rain, wind, cold, heat no matter what because you might have to face the extreme come event time, uggg!!!! I was glad I had these days to reflect on I knew I could endure it as long as I could stay on the bike and pedal, albeit my times were slower but the finish was that much more glorious!

Now I live in the rainy NW and long for the dry desert...............but I did my Saturday bike ride despite the rain today, the warm shower felt so good when I got home.

Oh yeah more great advise from my coach, "Love them hills!" MikeTĀ®

Thanks so much for your words of support...I will PM you as I will definitely want to get some input regarding that ride.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kate

• Princess
    Princess

Rained out? That doesn't stop anything around here!

Seriously, like Kate said, it's all about hydration and fuel. I rode my first century last summer. Actually, it was a two day 206 mile ride and my first century ride to boot. I discovered at 130 miles that it's all about the food. If you don't eat right, you will bonk and that is not pleasant. I was able to clip out (barely) and quickly scarf some power bar bites in order to make it the last five miles that day.

Keep a good supply of clif bars and gel shots. I assume the ride is well supported with sports drink and a good lunch?

Don't be nervous, you'll do fine. Before my ride, the farthest I had gone was 70 miles and at the end of the day I was at 135. Your legs are ready, it's all about the fuel. Plan accordingly and have fun!

Good luck,

Rachel

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Princess is so right about the fuel! Hey Princess I've been getting my legs back and maybe, just maybe I'll be ready to do the STP with you all this year! If not the whole ride maybe the last lag of it. It would be awesome to have some Apostate jerseys advertising this site too! lol

Keep a good supply of clif bars and gel shots. I assume the ride is well supported with sports drink and a good lunch?

LSA keeps it's riders in plenty supply of everything needed to finish the ride. The provide a hardy lunch and water and eats all along the ride plus they have spotters driving the course to help with flats or any other mechanical problems. I can't speak enough at how awesome they are from the first initial recruitment to after the ride once you are home, they are awesome! First class all the way!

If ever anyone wanted to donate money to a good cause this is the one foundation that spends most of the money collected to find cures for many cancer related diseases such as, leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma. . Dollar for dollar your money goes to research and to patients and their families who need the help! I rode for my Grandfather who died from lymphoma as well as my honored patient who was only 4 years old when she got leukemia, she has been blessed to be one of the many success stories and is now 12 years old!

Eva I'm going to revisit your website and donate to the cause!

Kate (putting my money where my mouth is)

• Princess
    Princess

I see Team in Training all the time on the local trail. They provide such good support for the training runs! When I ran a marathon in January I was really impressed with the support along the marathon route too. The marathon was very well supported but the Team in Training coaches were everywhere and they'd jump in and run along with the Team members all the time, checking on them and encouraging. They had their own little cheer squad wherever they went. Very nice!

I ran a half marathon last month that had a few Team in Training members and about mile 12 there was a group cheering everyone on. It was really nice to see. At mile twelve, you need all the encouragement you can get!

Kate, that would be awesome! You keep in touch and let me know what you want to do. We start day two at mile 135 (Steve's mom's house) and you are more than welcome to drive up and spend the night there so you can take off with us in the morning. It leaves day two at 70 miles, pretty do-able!

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Thanks to both of you! The encouragement helps a lot! Also, I should clarify....it was not just a rain out, we've rode in rain...but we've hade torrential downpours due to severe thunderstorms....there were flash flood warnings when I got up, so I was surprised that the ride was on...regardless I managed to drive out there just in case....but of course it was one big black cloud....all of midwest is getting flooded from these storms....it was just such bad timing. It was my last chance to get those 80 miles in.

Right now, I'm fighting bronchitis...which puts a kabosh on my continuous training....I'm going to just pedal on the indoor bike and not overdo it, so I can get healthy again....

Thanks again guys! And if I'm ever out your way, I will look you up....I love the Pacific Northewest.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit