Beautiful Artwork to Look at!

by Dolllie 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Roddy
    Roddy

That's unfortunate for you. Witnesses have to "sell" pretty pictures because the articles lack any depth. Same principle as Playboy if you think about it.

I remember when the cover of the Watcthower never changed. Just the grand two color picture of the Watchtower and then a frame in the center of it with a partial list of articles. The Awake was just a cover with a partial list of articles. Only VERY special articles had full artwork on the cover.

Then someone in the WTS who probably graduated from high school came up with the idea of having nicer looking covers for the magazines. Even (gasp!) using more than two colors and employing graphics. You can see how the covers of the magazines, and in the inside, got more attractive and stylish. After all, now that the magazines are offered with the donation arrangement, you have to guilt-trip people to giving something because of the high quality artwork.

All I have to say to that is this:

(NWT) Psalm 127:1 Unless Jehovah himself builds the house,
    It is to no avail that its builders have worked hard on it.
    Unless Jehovah himself guards the city,
    It is to no avail that the guard has kept awake.

• Dolllie
    Dolllie

I disagree! I think the "good artwork" adds to the value of the article. I read the ones on Moses that had the "good pictures". I would have read it anyway, & I am not a "Witness".

"Bad artwork", (or no artwork) can make an article go flat. Same principal works with children's books. There were a "series" of articles on Moses. You can't read that long (pages) without a visual brreak (a picture) comfortably..... it kind of structures you through reading the enture thing.

• Corvin
    Corvin

Interesting. The WTBTS has a history of horrendous artwork. They have improved alot over the years, however.

Dave Malone, a very accomplished artist and former JW, was summoned to Bethel in the early 80's to consult with the art and photography depts to help improve the overall quality . . . especially since the WTBTS was on the verge of acquiring brand new state of the art digital imaging equipment and begin printing everything in the four-color process. No point in having such nice equipment if your artists and photographers suck, thus, Malone was asked to consult.

Malone referred to those who worked at Bethel as "hobby artists" and had very little respect for their ability. Maybe Malone's 2 week consulting trip to Bethel had some effect on the quality of the artwork afterall.

Corvin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit