What happens when Bethelites are too old, infirm, or disturbed to work?

by True North 28 Replies latest jw friends

• True North
    True North

In Barbara Grizzuti Harrison's book Visions of Glory: A History and a Memory of Jehovah?s Witnesses (which is online at http://www.exjws.net/vg.htm -- I highly recommend it) there's an account of heartlessness at Bethel that I found particularly troubling. It's in "Chapter IV. Accumulating Wealth While the World Refuses to Die" (http://www.exjws.net/vg4.htm) and is as follows:

"When I lived at Bethel, I saw, or heard of, these failures of charity....An old man, who had been at Bethel for thirty years, grew senile. His senility took the form of his muttering obscenities at the dining-room table. He was given two "warnings,? which his hardened arteries obviously couldn't assimilate, and then ordered to leave. He had no resources, financial or emotional. He was last seen begging in downtown Brooklyn."

This account and other, related accounts I've read, make me wonder: what is WT policy towards Bethelites who become too old, infirm, or disturbed to work? I'm sure that the GB members are fully taken care of, but what of the rank and file? Are there any sort of retirement arrangements? How about health insurance?

Also, what about Bethelites injured on the job? Are they covered by any sort of Workmen's Compensation insurance? Or is there some sort of "opt out" provision for religious organizations?

Finally, do you think there are many older Bethelites who feel held hostage, that they must keep their doubts or disenchantments to themselves rather than face being turned out on the street without food, shelter, or medical care?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

True North,

You bring up a very good point that needs to be concidered.

I personally think that there are many old timers that fit your discription "being held hostage". One day It may reach critcal mass where some one goes bezerk at bethel,,and it gets all over the news.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

I have been tempted at times to write some of my former friends at Bethel. Just a simple note:

If you ever want to leave I can help you. Here is my phone number ********* I have a job for you if you ever need it. You will not be alone. As always I remain your friend, Uzzah

What do you think the response would be? I'd have be judicious as to who I send it to but I agree that many do feel captive. It might be good for them to know they do have an option. hmmmmm

Uzzah

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

From what I hear if they are disturbed or infirmed they send them packing. THe only way to get into bethel is good health and the ability to work. If either of those are hendered they start trying to send to back home.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The guy that married Knorrs wife became senile and use profanity and they allowed him to stay. Of course how would it look for the WT to throw out a husband of "Knorrs Wife".

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

The grey hairs have been cursing at bethel since dirt was new. I think it is a privalage.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

They kicked Ed Dunlap out when he was 69 years old,, and even though he tried to keep a low profile and keep quiet about what he knew,, and later they disfellowshipped his brother for offering him a job to survive. Imagine that.

• Corvin
    Corvin

According to Dave Malone, Fred Franz in 1983 was slipping down the road to senility. He often talked to his shoes.

Your question is a good one and I am wondering the same thing. It would really suck if one had devoted their entire life to serving the org and then got nothing when they could no longer work.

• VM44
    VM44
    what is WT policy towards Bethelites who become too old, infirm, or disturbed to work?

Ever see the movie Soylent Green?

--VM44

• onacruse
    onacruse

Corvin:

Fred Franz in 1983 was slipping down the road to senility. He often talked to his shoes.

At least his shoes understood what he was saying.

When I was a Bethel (for a short time), I heard plenty of stuff along the lines of "you live here, we'll take care of you, and you'll die here, well-taken care of."

Heard of it; never saw it.

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit