THE END is no longer...

by Martini 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Martini
    Martini

...at the tip of my tongue!

Question:

I know we are not into end time dates anymore.However suppose you are in your
    mid-forties,would you feel comfortable
    saying to non-believers that the end of
    this wicked system is expected within
    your life time?
    Personally I cannot bring myself to utter
    those words anymore, as I did prior to the
    'generation' change. I simply say we do not
    know when the end will come, this despite
    the fact that our publications still place the End as imminently upon us.

Martini,
    P.S. Please delete if this post is found
    offensive or controversial.
    Many thanks.

• claudia
    claudia

Martini,I also dont commit to a time, saying we dont know when the end is to occur is just being honest. the bible even says nobody knows.

• EyesonthePies
    EyesonthePies

The gate was closed back in the 1930's for those who desired the reward of heavenly life. Since that time the vast majority of those coming to the organization have had the Earthly hope. I remember at one DC in the early 90's the statement being made that the end would have to come soon for the sake of those whose hope was Earthly as many of these people were advanced in years.

I'm still hoping within my parent's life time. (My Dad is 70 this year)

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

The re-definition of the word 'generation' should give you a pretty good idea of the direction that's being taken. It was quite disturbing (to put it mildly) to many witnesses when it finally dawned on them exactly what was being said. In an effort to cushion the impact the cry of 'the end is imminent!' still rings out but to many it strikes a dull chord. How can you say something is near while at the same time admit that no one knows when it will be?

I stay away from the terms 'near' and 'close' and 'just a little while longer' when speaking about the end. Even the apostles got caught up in this and fully expected the end to come in their day. Why can't the lesson be learned then?

It's quite simple. Nothing motivates people to action like the cry of 'wolf!' It works quite well once you learn that you have to keep thinking up of new terms and ways of doing it so people don't really grasp what is happening.

Many, many people have died since the first cry of 'wolf' went out. Many, many more will die before the wolf actually comes.

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

test.

• Moxy
    Moxy

whoa. time warp. im reading this thread thinking... what the hells going on here? did i stumble into a workhole? then realization dawned...

mox

• Celia
    Celia

What's this ?
    Did I stumble into a WOL thread ?
    [:?]

can someone tell me why the "puzzled" emoticon doesn't work for me ?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Wow "Eyesonthepies" -- our friend Thirdson!! This is the 2nd early-2001 thread someone has brought back today. What is it, nostalgia week at jw.com???

Celia, you might try [ : | ? ] all together. The | is a capital \, above the right "enter" key on many keyboards.

Put it together, hope this works:

J.R.Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Celia
  • expatbrit
    expatbrit

What happened to Claudia? She was a fox!

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit