I Threw Out My NWT Today.... I am officially a cult free household.

by shamus 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Odrade
    Odrade

LOL Carmel, I just mean it's interesting to me on a learning level, to look at the material from an investigative point of view. For instance, the appendices in the NWT reference bible, the changes in the RS book, the faulty portrayals and logic in the Search book, misrepresented quotations in the Creation book...

It's taught me a lot about how I could have put my trust in this organization for so long, and has gone a long way towards freeing me from it. I've also been able to use some of the material to point others in a more "independent thinking" direction.

I definitely did NOT mean that they are shining examples of scholarly research. LOL.

O

• bisous
    bisous
    I Threw Out My NWT Today.... I am officially a cult free household.

would that it were that easy...........................................................

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

You may want to consider holding on to such books as the NWT or Aid book. These may come in handy later on if you decide to help a JW find his or her way out of the group.

• Dawn
    Dawn
    You may want to consider holding on to such books as the NWT or Aid book. These may come in handy later on if you decide to help a JW find his or her way out of the group.

Bingo!! That's why I have held on to a few of the books and the NWT. But I don't use the NWT for my personal studies - I use several other translations and like to see how things are translated in each version - gives me a more full understanding of the scripture.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

I had cleared off much of my bookshelf making room for a VARIETY of "worldly" books - my bookshelf is now so colorful instead of the drab brown of all the years past! When my dad passed away, I tossed much of his bookshelf, but kept some of the older publications - but now I wish I'd kept more. There's times when you would like to look back at some of the ridiculous thoughts proclaimed to be "truth" - I did keep the 1975 Yearbook which is interesting with much about Russell and the early days - also, the Babylon book and Paradise book and others of the oldest stuff. I have come to realize that there could be some benefit to keeping some of it to help others see the falsity of the cult also. So my suggestion is to just pack it away in the basement or garage for a while as you go through the exit process and eventually you'll know what you want to do with it all.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny
    If you are prepared to pay for the shipping to us, let us know what you have by email.

The unbelievable nerve of those people! "You've drained your lifeblood buying and peddling these things for us, now please pay to give it back to us. "

• Maverick
    Maverick

I loaded up my pick-up truck and dropped the bound volumes off at the K-Hall one night.

Did I mention I was doing about twenty miles an hour through the parking lot at the time? It rained that night too, too bad! Maverick

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    The unbelievable nerve of those people! "You've drained your lifeblood buying and peddling these things for us, now please pay to give it back to us. "

That's not the Watchtower asking for the books back, it's the Quotes site asking for donations of old literature. The Quotes site is one of my favorite aposta-resources on the Internet!

• blondie
    blondie

I keep my green NWT for historical purposes. I also have the Book of Mormon, and several other LDS books, the Adventist, some SDA books and Buddhist writings. I have Mein Kampf in my library too.

If the WTS book is not on the WT-CD, I have that in my library for research purposes.

It takes more than tossing the NWT in the trash to be cult-free.

Read some of Steve Hassan's books to find out why.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit