Joel Osteen, Pastor

by new light 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Honestly, if his church were in this area, I would gladly attend every week.

I'm with you.... I like the guy...

• Perry
    Perry

Joel Osteen rocks. Once in a great while I'd tune in to his father. But when he died and Joel took over things really caught on fire at that church. They doubled almost immediately and are now listed as the largest chuch in the US. They started in the poorest part of Houston to provide help to the local community.

Some Christians think he preaches too much Grace. Others think it too worldly. However, I think most pastors preach too much sin and redemption. He is controversial.

But there is no doubt about it. After you listen to him for a while you get fired up to work harder, be a better whatever, and not sweat the small stuff, etc. He is electric yet very kind and genuine. Very interesting blend of qualities.

One time he said that our Enemy sometimes will send us stupid people in our daily life to try our patience and get us upset. I about fell out of my chair.

Edited to add: My wife and I made a trip there for their Easter service. Was awesome, simply awesome. I highly reccommend going to visit if possible. If not you can tune in on Sundays At 7:00pm cst for his 30 min talk. It's short, but crammed full of info and meaning. He gives a quick paced delivery.

P.S. Glad I'm not the only one who likes this guy on here

• Dolllie
    Dolllie

"But is he real?" He is from my religion, a Born Again Christian. He may be little more than an "actor", someone who just delivers some "rehersed" words.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I like Joel Osteen. It's always upbeat. I do like his idea of "acting as if it depended on you, but praying as if it depended on God". I've always believed that, but you find few Christian pastors that do. He basically teaches that you are in control of your actions and that you have more control of making your life positive than anyone or anything else.

Joyce Meyer has always appealed to me too. Mostly because I like her candor. She readily admits to her faults (especially her mouth!) and I SOOO connect with that.

Candor and honesty is something I really respect!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit