Joel Osteen, Pastor

by new light 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• new light
    new light

Has anyone else ever watched televangelist Joel Osteen, pastor of the Lakewood Church in Houston, TX? I believe he is aired pretty much throughout the U.S. Even being the faithless slug that I am, his sermons never, ever fail to move me. He is so inspiring, so positive. There is no bible-thumping or dogmatism, just practical ways of living a better life and giving the same to others. Honestly, if his church were in this area, I would gladly attend every week. If you have not seen his program, I recommend checking it out.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I'm probably his biggest fan in Utley, Texas (pop. 25 and a mule). His voice is so soothing, and his message so forthright and honest. I really enjoy the show, and would like to go there myself one time. It's only 100 miles away.

CG

• pc
    pc

Where can it be seen? Has anyone listened to Cliff Knektle he does a thing called give me an answer. He goes to college campus' and discusses religion with the students. I think he's great too.

• new light
    new light

He's coming to Madison Square Garden on 10/22. I'm considering making the trip (100 miles). The fact that I am even thinking about

attending a Christian service shows how powerful Joel's words are. His delivery is so meek, so full of love. You can tell he is on the verge of

tears for much of the sermon. Truly a spiritual person and a very gifted pastor.

• Roddy
    Roddy

I agree. I like him. He is really upbeat. I find him refreshing from the constant recycled egg-sucking themes in the public talk schedule in kingdom halls. One time I could swear that I heard the same talk subject about 10 times in the same year. And each time it was still boring.

I never figured out why elders couldn't make their own talks. I'm sure if one was allowed to give a talk that one can really specialize in or that comes from the heart, that can really benefit the listeners. I guess it's another one of those WTS control things.

Coming to New York City? I'll see if he has a website and if he is touring around to other places.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

YIKES!

No offense intended, NewLight and other Osteen fans, but I got a rash from just reading this thread!

- NN "Gonna need an ocean of Calamine Lotion" class

• new light
    new light

Look, Nathan, even the most diehard atheist has to admit that Osteen's message is upbuilding and has a positive effect on people's lives.

He doesn't resort to a bunch of scripture or blabbing on and on about the devil. He just imparts positive information that happens to be based

on a Christian belief. I find most Christian programming gives me the willies, but Osteen is a refreshing wind of enlightenment. Unless you are

opposed to goodness or happiness, where's the problem?

• SuperMommy
    SuperMommy

I like him, too. My pastor back in KC,MO is has a similiar style.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Joel Osteen is the only person I have listen to preach on television.

I agree even if I do not know for sure what I believe as far as religious matters, his sermons usually are about making yourself a better person. He doesnt condemn with his words, but makes you think of how to better a situation. I have found his sermons to be comforting and I guess I am just drawn to his style of delivery.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I don't listen to televangelists and I am not at all familiar with Osteen's work or style of delivery.

If he makes you feel good I am happy for you.

Personally, I prefer my miserable boil-licking existence as it is without the "aid" of theologians of any (skunk-like, IMO) stripe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit