Question for Tina

by Maximus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Copernicus
    Copernicus

RVW and All – I enjoyed your reminiscing. A lot. I could tell you had put your hearts and souls into it in the glory days.

Today we've got BIG numbers and we have become a "throw away" society where people get thrown out and the elders say "there's more where these came from".

You’re right on the money here. The halls have become such a “revolving door” of ones coming in and even more going out, that it’s hopeless as an elder to think you’re going to do anything about it. I know the feeling.

If we can't enjoy the present what makes us think we can be happy with more?

That’s hard to do when they’re constantly telling you that the present isn’t worth enjoying, isn’t it?

I say – love your families and try to find some happiness now, it may me the only chance we have.

Glad to see there wasn’t much bitterness, but more like mellow memories. Ahhhhh. . . to have the chance to do things over again. What we’d all give for that.

• RipVanWinkle
    RipVanWinkle

Copernicus,

Talk about being bitter - I have no bitterness. While others may feel differently (and each has a right to their feelings), I am still a firm believer in a Creator. There is too much around me that says there had to be an intelligent designer. I find so much good direction for positive living in the Bible. When the Book is followed it can change peoples' lives for the better. I believe that The Book comes as a guide.

My parents had been members of the Russian Orthodox Church and were faced with some major conflicts in the church and began a private study of the Bible. Just the Bible - nothing else. They found it brought them answers to their questions along with a special peace. Later they were contacted by the Bible Students in the early 20's.

Unfortunately, there has been abuse by people who have power. In recognizing this it has helped me to shrink the influence that such ones have in my life. I can make better choices in my life rather than lean on others to make them for me.

There is nothing that I or the combined group on this board can do to right the wrongs and make changes. Having a position does not mean that positive influence can stem the trend that is being set. It reminds me of the Bible account of priest Eli and his wicked sons. They had power and abused it. But I believe that what goes around comes around - sooner or later.

RVW

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Maximus,

To answer your question re Virginia Satir's group - I think? it was called "Avanta."

Glad you experienced your first father's day. I have been enjoying your posts.

RVW, welcome, it's been a trip back to the past reading your posts.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Avanta

Yes!

Thanks very, very much--much more than a name now.
    Funny isn't it. The journey is not linear.

Like RipVW, I am not bitter but happier than I have ever been in my life.

Maximus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit