Question for Tina

by Maximus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• RipVanWinkle
    RipVanWinkle

Larc,

You got me beat. We only had between 9 and 13 pubs. Used to put up the big chart in front with the congregation service numbers.

You're right it was tough times. I got chased off 2 times at the end of a rifle, and had the german shepherd dogs sigged on my Mom.

Of course I remember that after handing people the testimony card and afterward asking them if they would like the offer, some were amazed that we could speak. They thought we were deaf mutes.

We had a brother who was very aggressive who used to put his foot in the door and refuse to leave until he gave his message. It left a bad taste in the mouth for the next witness.

It's been a mixed bag. In some ways we've improved and in other ways we've lost ground - just my opinion.

RVW

• larc
    larc

RVW,

The first hall, I went to, I can't remember the sales chart/records, whatever you want to call it. I do remember it when we moved in town to a bigger congretation. I was just like a sale chart for IBM. It had, as I recall, total hours, average hours, average magazine placements, books placed, number of bible studys. In our Kingdom Hall, it was on the left side of the platform. I see in my mind right now.

• LadyBug
    LadyBug

A trip down memory lane for larc, maximus and RipVanWinkle.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Lovely to see how a thread can turn positive for a change....

Thanks guys for your reminising. I enjoyed reading your experiences.

• Tina
    Tina

Salutatio Maximus and All!
    Love the memories here.
    Im happy to hear you had a fab Father's Day!! My thinking is that these are simply family rituals that promote family cohesiveness. We all need these 'ritual' in our lives. And that's a 'good thing'. The good old wts can take something so simple and elegant and give it such ugly negative conotations.
    Ahh V Satir,,,,I'm glad Bijou was able to help you out!(((((TY Bij)))))
    She developed and left us some great paradigms in family therapy.A non-blaming approach, Non-rigid and flexible techniques.
    She is essential reading for one's self-discovery journey.
    My connection with her is unfortunately only thru her work and models she left us. I don't know about that group you mentioned,but will ask around.
    Enjoying everyone's trip down memory lane! Thanks! warm regards,Tina

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

Maximus-I'm glad you had a happy Father's Day. I remember when Dad was still alive he got upset that we couldn't even celebrate Father's/Mother's Day. I was still steeped into JW belief's and trying to be loyal to the borg, I made sure that I didn't even call him on that day. Now I could kick myself. It would have meant so much to him. Whenever I think about what the borg has taken away from not just me, but so many others, I want to scream.

So, I wish you a belated Happy Father's Day in memory of my own dad.

P.S. Do you think he knows?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

I was interested in the little reminiscing and the mention of A.A. Worsley. Would that have been Arthur Worsley?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

• RipVanWinkle
    RipVanWinkle

Oz,

You got that right! it was Arthur A. Worsley. He visited us in the early 40's. If my memory serves me correctly he was waiting for an assignment in a missionary field and until his papers were completed he was sent out on the road. Not sure which class of Gilead he attended. Some time back I remembered seeing his life story in WT. I think he had traded a chicken for literature.

I hope I haven't made an exaggeration here, but that's what I remember. The Servant to the Brethren was the forerunner of the Circuit Servant.

Do you know him?

RVW

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Happy Fathers day Maximus,

ain't it grand!

• teejay
    teejay

And here i was thinking that I went back far. Whew! The only things that
    ring a bell is the big chart in the front of the hall. Kinda bittersweet, though. The
    memories, the people you remember. The lost and stolen simple joys of life that
    can never be recovered. Makes me sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit