Freedom to Choose God

by UnDisfellowshipped 774 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlanF
    AlanF

Sirona said:

An interesting point. In my experience (I'll keep this oriented toward ex-JWs) thoughtful ex-JWs usually go through a period of intense questioning after they leave the JW cult. Then they either become agnostic/atheist, or some kind of other Christian. A very small number join non-Christian religions. I don't consider the ex-JWs who go off and get involved in really stupid behaviors like doing drugs and so forth to be thoughtful.

: That is not a very scientific statement. Did you research that yourself? Do you have statistics to back up that assertion?

Absolutely not.

But note that I said "in my experience", which is obviously a subjective evaluation and not meant to be a scientific judgment.

: There are a fair few on this board who hold non-christian religious beliefs, so perhaps you'd be surprised.

I know that, and I'm not surprised. But I'm using more than a dozen years of experience with ex-JWs, both online and in real life, to form my opinion. That opinion is certainly subject to revison.

: Beliefs are very personal. I would condemn a religion (group) which was destructive to the person in any way, but I won't condemn personal beliefs. They are valid to the individual and as you know, not everything can be scientifically tested.

For the most part I agree with you. However, expressing opinions about beliefs expressed on a board meant for discussing such is something that's guaranteed to occur. And because people disagree, conflicting opinions will be expressed, sometimes backed up by a lot more than a desire that something be so. For example, I consider astrology to be a crackpot idea, even though an awful lot of people put stock in it. While I don't generally go around condemning that belief, I might well express an opinion about it in the proper context of a thread on this board. Of course, others are equally free to disagree.

AlanF

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Alan F

So the origin of the Christian God is as mysterious as is the origin of the Big Bang.

I didn't say: He was a mystery. I said: "God had no cause". But if you're saying that the universe came from nothing, I have some land I want to sell you, real cheap! If something can come from nothing I will write you a check for a million dollars, take it to the bank and try to cash it. As for the Big Bang

According to the physicists who are the keepers of this idea

Can you name them, because the leading ones, like Stephen Hawking and Neil Turok would not agree with them.

: But you're the one with all the answers.

A typical Christian answer -- you don't speak truth. I never said or implied anything of the sort. Indeed, I don't even particularly believe that The Big Bang is a good explanation for the origin of the universe, and even if it's a partially decent explanation, it's far from complete.

What I mean is, you are telling us that you know more about the Christian God than the Christians do. It sounds like you are saying that if I knew what you know I would stop believing in God. Alan I didn't know you were such a bible scalar.

Living one's life based on realities that can be observed and/or produce real, observable effects is invariably better than living it based on unrealities such as Santa Clause. Many Christian claims, and ideas found in the Bible, are demonstrably unreal.

You must mean things like how something came from nothing or the spontaneous appearance of life? The scientific explanation of those things by most takes much more faith to believe in, than the bible does. Sorry, if believing in something bigger than myself or what I can see, offends you

Unlike many religious people who think they know the mind of the Christian God or some other god.

I do not make the claim to know the mind of God. I'm just trying to understand what He reveals in His word, and I don't think His word contains His entire mind.

: Yea, your fallen nature makes you feel good.

This comment has nothing to do with this thread, and serves only as a meaningless ad hominem that shows you can't answer the problems I posed.

Well, I think it has everything to do with this thread. Would you not agree that you (personally) can't choose to believe in God? D Dog

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

gumby

Deputy dog,

It's a natural human reaction to get all pissed and shit at others who might ruin or at least cast doubts on your belief system.....so don't feel bad, I did the same thing.

I'm not sure what you mean, if I didn't enjoy this, I could get rid of you guys with just one click. But I think I found AlanF's hot button

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

gumby

I don't see anything anywhere in the bible that says God is holding "children responsible for what their parents did". Adamic sin simply proves that man can and will sin. So I don't think you know the "Bible tale" of how mankind needs saving. Are we punished for the sins of others?

Sorry, I was refering to Adamic sin

I like your chart! I think I see a good thread topic on it. "Are we punished for the sins of others?"

D Dog

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

AlanF,

: Are'nt you relying on logic?

I like to think I am.

: If so where does this logic come from?

Our brains, which evolved over several million years into the best social computers the world has ever seen, and into excellent survival machines that rely specifically on logically putting those "real, observable effects" into actions that result in survival.

How do you relate the above survival notion to your analogy of a grain of sand surviving?

All of the grains obey certain statistical physical laws in falling through the hole, but it can hardly beargued that physical law was designed to enable a sand grain to survive

In the end does man has the same fate as the grain of sand?

Are you under the same laws as the grain of sand?

ellderwho said:

: So your mind is derived from "natural" laws?

Right

: And the end result is your mind/brain has risen above these natural laws to give you a pupose of survival?

Not at all. The notion that survival is a purpose in evolution is flat-out wrong, according to evolutionary biologists. It's a statistical thing. Suppose you pour a cup of sand into an hourglass. There's going to be a last grain of sand that falls through the hole, even though no one can predict which grain it's going to be. That grain might be said to have survived the longest. All of the grains obey certain statistical physical laws in falling through the hole, but it can hardly be argued that physical law was designed to enable a sand grain to survive. It simply turns out that way, without necessarily anyone designing a purpose into the sand or the hourglass or matter itself.

I confused, didnt you say,

" Our brains, which evolved over several million years into the best social computers the world has ever seen" and into excellent survival machines

Then you state,

The notion that survival is a purpose in evolution is flat-out wrong,

This is what Im trying to understand, is how does AlanF break out of the mold that molded you?

Obvisiously you've evolved to the best something, for the fact that you used the word evolve and the word survival indicates you have risen above the "natural laws' that brought you forth as a "being".

You have demonstrated that you have escaped the limitations of "natural laws" and now have a purpose.

This is why I asked you first,what is mankinds purpose?

: If so, how does your brain evolve to elavate itself above its natural origins? ie. chemical reactions in your brain.

Apply my above comments and you'll have your answer.

I dont see what observing a physical action has to do with AlanF rising above the natural laws you want me to observe.

E.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT

Man DOES have responsibility. To deny that denies the founding principles of Calvin's theology.

Man has responsibility for his sin, but not his salvation, so how does that deny the founding principles of Calvin's theology. (not that I agree with Calvin on everything)

I have little difficulty with what Paul has to say, just your interpretation of it, which makes it more extreme.
    Does Paul anywhere say that man has no responsibility? Instead I find him saying "God forbid", a few times, regarding this.

What texts specifically?

D Dog

• AlanF
    AlanF

Deputy Dog (or is it Babalooie?), your reply is chock full of fallacious reasoning. I'll point out a number of examples.

:: So the origin of the Christian God is as mysterious as is the origin of the Big Bang.

: I didn't say: He was a mystery.

I never said you did. This is example (1) of your fallacious reasoning.

: I said: "God had no cause".

That you did. But you fail to realize that the claims that "God has no cause" and "God had no beginning" are exactly the same as the claims that the universe had no cause or had no beginning. This is example (2) of your fallacious reasoning.

: But if you're saying that the universe came from nothing, ...

I didn't say that. This is example (3) of your fallacious reasoning.

: As for the Big Bang

:: According to the physicists who are the keepers of this idea

: Can you name them, because the leading ones, like Stephen Hawking and Neil Turok would not agree with them.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. A simple web search turned up the following URL http://pupgg.princeton.edu/www/jh/news/STEINHARDT_TUROK_THEORY.HTML which contains the following statements about Neil Turok's ideas:

A new theory of the universe suggests that space and time may not have begun in a big bang, but may have always existed in an endless cycle of expansion and rebirth... The theory proposes that, in each cycle, the universe refills with hot, dense matter and radiation, which begins a period of expansion and cooling like the one of the standard big bang picture... The new theory provides possible answers to several longstanding problems with the big bang model, which has dominated the field of cosmology for decades. It addresses, for example, the nagging question of what might have triggered or come "before" the beginning of time.

A careful reading of the rest of the report shows that the only difference between Turok's new proposal and the standard model is that it specifically addresses the question of the origin of the Big Bang by claiming that it's part of an endless cycle of oscillations (which harks back in an important way to the old "Steady State" theory) that has no cause, whereas the standard theory explicitly refuses to deal with such issues. At the "moment" of the Big Bang there is no difference between the standard theory and Turok's new one.

What does Turok have to say about these origins questions and religion? The URL http://www.counterbalance.net/transcript/nt-frame.html contains several audio clips of Turok's take on "The Religious Significance of Beginnings Questions". Here's a transcript of one I think is significant:

Personally I don't believe that the beginning of the universe, with understanding the beginning of the universe, will have any significance as far as the question of whether or not a God exists. I think it's just another question in science, and if we can answer it, if we can have a complete mathematical theory of it, that will stand as a scientific theory, just in the same way as the theory of the electron, or any other piece of science stands.

This is example (4) of your fallacious reasoning.

I'll leave it to you to prove you claims about Hawking.

The above material raises the question of what modern physicists are teaching. The following material is from a lecture series at the University of Oregon for the course "Astronomy 123: Galaxies and the Expanding Universe" by Professor James Schombert. The course is designed for non-science majors, so most anyone with a high school education should be able to follow the material. The index page is: http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~js/ast123/index.html .

Lecture 17 concerns the Big Bang and the origins of the universe. I'll reproduce the material that I think is relevant to our discussion. The URL is: http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~js/ast123/lectures/lec17.html

Birth of the Universe:
    Physics of the early Universe is at the boundary of astronomy and philosophy since we do not currently have a complete theory that unifies all the fundamental forces of Nature at the moment of Creation. In addition, there is no possibility of linking observation or experimentation of early Universe physics to our theories (i.e. its not possible to `build' another Universe). Our theories are rejected or accepted based on simplicity and aesthetic grounds, plus there power of prediction to later times, rather than an appeal to empirical results. This is a very difference way of doing science from previous centuries of research.
    Our physics can explain most of the evolution of the Universe after the Planck time (approximately 10-43 seconds after the Big Bang)... However, events before this time are undefined in our current science and, in particular, we have no solid understanding of the origin of the Universe (i.e. what started or `caused' the Big Bang).
    Cosmic Singularity:
    One thing is clear in our framing of questions such as `How did the Universe get started?' is that the Universe was self-creating. This is not a statement on a `cause' behind the origin of the Universe, nor is it a statement on a lack of purpose or destiny. It is simply a statement that the Universe was emergent, that the actual of the Universe probably derived from a indeterminate sea of potentiality that we call the quantum vacuum, whose properties may always remain beyond our current understanding.
    Quantum Vacuum:
    The cosmic singularity, that was the Universe at the beginning of time, is shielded by the lack of any physical observers. But the next level of inquiry is what is the origin of the emergent properties of the Universe, the properties that become the mass of the Universe, its age, its physical constants, etc. The answer appears to be that these properties have their origin as the fluctuations of the quantum vacuum.
    The properties of the Universe come from `nothing', where nothing is the quantum vacuum, which is a very different kind of nothing. If we examine a piece of `empty' space we see it is not truly empty, it is filled with spacetime, for example. Spacetime has curvature and structure, and obeys the laws of quantum physics. Thus, it is filled with potential particles, pairs of virtual matter and anti-matter units, and potential properties at the quantum level...
    With respect to the origin of the Universe, the quantum vacuum must have been the source of the laws of Nature and the properties that we observe today. How those laws and properties emerge is unknown at this time.
    Quantum Fluctuations:
    The fact that the Universe exists should not be a surprise in the context of what we know about quantum physics. The uncertainty and unpredictability of the quantum world is manifested in the fact that whatever can happen, does happen (this is often called the principle of totalitarianism, that if a quantum mechanical process is not strictly forbidden, then it must occur).
    For example, radioactive decay occurs when two protons and two neutrons (an alpha particle) leap out of an atomic nuclei. Since the positions of the protons and neutrons is governed by the wave function, there is a small, but finite, probability that all four will quantum tunnel outside the nucleus, and therefore escape. The probability of this happening is small, but given enough time (tens of years) it will happen.
    The same principles were probably in effect at the time of the Big Bang (although we can not test this hypothesis within our current framework of physics). But as such, the fluctuations in the quantum vacuum effectively guarantee that the Universe would come into existence.
    Planck Era
    The earliest moments of Creation are where our modern physics breakdown, where `breakdown' means that our theories and laws have no ability to describe or predict the behavior of the early Universe. Our everyday notions of space and time cease to be valid...
    The Universe expands from the moment of the Big Bang, but until the Universe reaches the size of the Planck scale, there is no time or space. Time remains undefined, space is compactified. String theory maintains that the Universe had 10 dimensions during the Planck era, which collapses into 4 at the end of the Planck era (think of those extra 6 dimensions as being very, very small hyperspheres inbetween the space between elementary particles, 4 big dimensions and 6 little tiny ones).
    During the Planck era, the Universe can be best described as a quantum foam of 10 dimensions containing Planck length sized black holes continuously being created and annihilated with no cause or effect. In other words, try not to think about this era in normal terms.

So, according to the above quoted college professor and keeper of the ideas of physics James Schombert, my earlier statement was precisely correct: "According to the physicists who are the keepers of this idea, nothing caused the Big Bang, either. It's a quantum mechanical notion and has a lot to do with "quantum fluctuations" and Heisenberg's so-called Uncertainty Principle."

Since you disagreed with my statement and have been proved wrong, this is example (5) of your fallacious reasoning.

::: But you're the one with all the answers.

:: A typical Christian answer -- you don't speak truth. I never said or implied anything of the sort. Indeed, I don't even particularly believe that The Big Bang is a good explanation for the origin of the universe, and even if it's a partially decent explanation, it's far from complete.

: What I mean is, you are telling us that you know more about the Christian God than the Christians do.

I never said or implied any such thing. I certainly said that, based on my personal experience, I don't believe that this God exists. So this is example (6) of your fallacious reasoning.

: It sounds like you are saying that if I knew what you know I would stop believing in God.

I said nothing of the kind. This is example (7) of your fallacious reasoning. But I do think that otherwise intelligent people mostly believe in this God for emotional reasons, not logical ones.

: Alan I didn't know you were such a bible scalar.

Actually I'm more of a Bible vector pointing directly away from it. (hint: look up the word "scalar" in a dictionary)

:: Living one's life based on realities that can be observed and/or produce real, observable effects is invariably better than living it based on unrealities such as Santa Clause. Many Christian claims, and ideas found in the Bible, are demonstrably unreal.

: You must mean things like how something came from nothing

I've already shown that modern physics does not teach this, and so your comment is another straw man, and example (8) of your fallacious reasoning. As I've already said, I personally leave open the question of ultimate origins.

: or the spontaneous appearance of life?

No one has any real idea how this came about. Maybe God, maybe "quantum fluctuations", maybe super-intelligent space aliens. No one knows the origin of God, either.

: The scientific explanation of those things by most takes much more faith to believe in, than the bible does.

Yawn. This old chestnut has been dealt with ad nauseum by clear thinkers. Tell me, what takes more faith to believe in? An unintelligent universe that has always existed, or a Supreme Intellect, intelligent and powerful enough to create the universe, that has always existed? Explain your answer.

: Sorry, if believing in something bigger than myself or what I can see, offends you

I guarantee that I don't give a rip one way or another.

:: Unlike many religious people who think they know the mind of the Christian God or some other god.

: I do not make the claim to know the mind of God.

Then you're not much of a Christian, nor do you have any right to tell people about your God.

: I'm just trying to understand what He reveals in His word,

I think you're trying to do a good deal more than that. You want to convert people to your beliefs, no?

: and I don't think His word contains His entire mind.

I didn't know that.

::: Yea, your fallen nature makes you feel good.

:: This comment has nothing to do with this thread, and serves only as a meaningless ad hominem that shows you can't answer the problems I posed.

: Well, I think it has everything to do with this thread.

You need to prove that rather than merely claim it.

: Would you not agree that you (personally) can't choose to believe in God?

No.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

ellderwho said:

::: Are'nt you relying on logic?

:: I like to think I am.

::: If so where does this logic come from?

:: Our brains, which evolved over several million years into the best social computers the world has ever seen, and into excellent survival machines that rely specifically on logically putting those "real, observable effects" into actions that result in survival.

: How do you relate the above survival notion to your analogy of a grain of sand surviving?

Whatever individual sand grain happens to be the last down the hole we can call the winner. Suppose that after a trillion trials we find that one particular group of sand grains wins a good deal more often than the rest of the grains. Then we can say, in this framework, that they're better at "surviving" than the others. Now suppose we magically transform the sand grains into living ones that reproduce themselves (with a small chance of imperfect reproduction) a short time after they drop down through the hole, then die. Then we repeat the test with their offspring. Furthermore, we throw out all of the grains except the last 10% on each trial. It should be obvious that after a huge number of further trials, simply by trial and error due to reproduction errors the grains left over will be significantly better at surviving the drop than were the grains a trillion trials earlier (this kind of cycle has been demonstrated by appropriate computer programs, btw). Now expand the analogy to human ancestors evolving into modern humans. I think you can take it from here.

:: All of the grains obey certain statistical physical laws in falling through the hole, but it can hardly be argued that physical law was designed to enable a sand grain to survive

: In the end does man has the same fate as the grain of sand?

What do you think the fate of the grain of sand is? I didn't postulate one.

: Are you under the same laws as the grain of sand?

Of course.

::: So your mind is derived from "natural" laws?

:: Right

::: And the end result is your mind/brain has risen above these natural laws to give you a pupose of survival?

:: Not at all. The notion that survival is a purpose in evolution is flat-out wrong, according to evolutionary biologists. It's a statistical thing. Suppose you pour a cup of sand into an hourglass. There's going to be a last grain of sand that falls through the hole, even though no one can predict which grain it's going to be. That grain might be said to have survived the longest. All of the grains obey certain statistical physical laws in falling through the hole, but it can hardly be argued that physical law was designed to enable a sand grain to survive. It simply turns out that way, without necessarily anyone designing a purpose into the sand or the hourglass or matter itself.

: I confused, didnt you say,

:: " Our brains, which evolved over several million years into the best social computers the world has ever seen" and into excellent survival machines

: Then you state,

:: The notion that survival is a purpose in evolution is flat-out wrong,

: This is what Im trying to understand, is how does AlanF break out of the mold that molded you?

My point is that "survival of the fittest", if you will, is a result of the working out of physical laws, not the purpose of those laws. So there is no mold to break out of.

: Obvisiously you've evolved to the best something, for the fact that you used the word evolve and the word survival indicates you have risen above the "natural laws' that brought you forth as a "being".

You don't understand the way evolutionists use the word "evolve". While a good many 19th-century evolutionists mistakenly thought that evolution was supposed to have a purpose, this was not a product of clear scientific thinking but of Victorian philosophy and the belief that Western Man was on a long spiral upwards toward perfection. These silly ideas have long been abandoned by scientists, although as usual, the media and the public are ridiculously slow at adopting the change. In modern parlance, evolution merely means change -- change that can be in any direction, toward more complexity or toward more simplicity of form and function. In other words, evolution has no direction, and nothing rises above natural laws or breaks out of molds.

: You have demonstrated that you have escaped the limitations of "natural laws" and now have a purpose.

That's a new one on me. What do you think my purpose is?

: This is why I asked you first,what is mankinds purpose?

You devil, you! You tried to trap me! But I didn't fall into your evil trap.

::: If so, how does your brain evolve to elavate itself above its natural origins? ie. chemical reactions in your brain.

:: Apply my above comments and you'll have your answer.

: I dont see what observing a physical action has to do with AlanF rising above the natural laws you want me to observe.

Perhaps you can now see that no rising above natural laws is happening.

AlanF

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

AlanF:
    You're verbose but also hypocritical.

You ask for "specific" points, but confess that some of your replies are "rather non-commital", include "subjective judgements", and then duck back to a "preaching to the choir" mentality, when you do receive such desired lucid replies. Above and beyond that you are generally dismissive in tone, which doesn't really make for enjoyable conversation.

I will pick up just one comment, at this point, though:

DDog: I do not make the claim to know the mind of God.
    AlanF: Then you're not much of a Christian, nor do you have any right to tell people about your God.

Now who's comparing apples and oranges?
    I could tell someone that I know of a really interesting guy called AlanF, that they should come listen to him sometime, and (were there such a group) that they should join the "F-ites". Would the fact that I dont know the mind of AlanF mean that I wasn't an "F-ite", or that I have no right to tell people about you?
    (and kindly don't sidestep by declaring that there will never be such a group... the point I'm establishing is surely obvious)

As regards your dismissive opinion of my understanding of science, I stand by my comments.
    I no more think of the scientific community as a corporate body than I do religion. That you should raise the issue, regarding science, but fail to confess it regarding religion perhaps indicates your own predilection...

Finally, regarding your "challenge", I answered you concisely, which you have since obsfucated . You just don't seem to see it...
    You start with a false premise, by declaring that the Bible declares that God created man after "the fall", which is patently untrue.
    Are you ignorant of the Calvinist/Arminian debate? If so, maybe a read of the last 15 pages might not be such a bad idea, after all. It's a bit more revealing than a Watchtower.

The thread has been railroaded enough, though I'm pretty certain you're enjoying it
    Since your "challenge" is now about the justice of BibleGod, shall we continue on that theme, for a moment, before getting completely back on track?

• The bible-viewpoint is one of contracts/covenants.
    • Adam was effectively offered a contract whereby if he ate, he died
    • That should be the end of the story, period, from a biblical perspective
    • Noah is taken into a covenant, whereby he makes a boat and doesn't drown
    • Abraham, also, whereby he left his land to be blessed
    • Moses and Israel are later taken into a covenant of (IMHO) futility and shadows
    • Jesus' Disciples are taken into a covenant of grace, where he pays the price for their past/present/future failure, becoming the payment and payer.

Would you like me to elaborate further on that latter point, seeing as that seems to be the crux of what you find so ludicrous about the Christian belief system?

DDog:
    Man does have responsibility for his sin, which is why Paul exclaims "God forbid" (KJV) on several occasions (Rom.6:2,15; 7:7,13; 1Cor.6:14). Since the wages of sin are death (Rom.6:23), man is responsible for that.

I never declared that man was responsible for his salvation, since that would be a distillation of the Arminian viewpoint.

Double-predestination (Hyper-Calvinist) declares that God predestined some to damnation. That places the onus of responsibility on God, not man. In view of the foregoing, can that be true?

• Sirona
    Sirona

LT

I could tell someone that I know of a really interesting guy called AlanF, that they should come listen to him sometime, and (were there such a group) that they should join the "F-ites".

ROFLMAO. Sorry, that is just a really funny way of illustrating your point.

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit