Freedom to Choose God

by UnDisfellowshipped 774 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Undi said;

***Romans Chapter 10 shows that for mature adult people, in order to be saved, they must:

1: Hear or read the Gospel
    2: Believe with the heart that Jesus is Lord and that God raised Him up from the dead
    3: Confess with their mouth that Jesus is Lord
    4: Call on the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation***

or Baal, Allah, Jehovah, Ra you name it;

1:Hear or read the sacred writings.

2: Believe with the heart that Baal is God and Baal lives for eternity.

3: Tell other people about Baal

4: Pray to Baal to save you.

The same things religous priests have been telling thier tribe members for over 6,000 yrs. Nothing has changed Undi.

How you can make simply such a complicated belief into, such a brief emotional plea. Then tout it as the answer to everything is mind blowing.

Danny

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

DannyBear said:

How you can make simply such a complicated belief into, such a brief emotional plea. Then tout it as the answer to everything is mind blowing.

My answer: I have experienced Jesus Christ.

Jesus is the answer to all of my problems.

If everyone followed Jesus' teachings on how to treat one another, there would be NO crimes and NO war.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Undi,

The same could be said about following Ghandi's words. Someday someone will make up a relgion based on his teachings. Maybe there already is such a movement.

As is true with most believers, your comments reflect a feel-good, emotional basis for believing. Can't prove a word of what you claim, but it sure feels good to say it. That is a common denominator among all true believer's.

Heart, gets more mention than mind, hands down.

Danny

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

DannyBear said:

Heart, gets more mention than mind, hands down.

Actually, the Scriptures talk about using your mind and reasoning with people quite a bit:

Acts 17: 10-12: Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. Therefore many of them believed, and also not a few of the Greeks, prominent women as well as men.

Acts 17: 2-4: Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus whom I preach to you is the Christ." And some of them were persuaded; and a great multitude of the devout Greeks, and not a few of the leading women, joined Paul and Silas.

Matthew 22:37: Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Once again you revert to the "Scriptures". That is the point Undi, you and those people gathered in the Synagog 2,000 years ago, had nothing but someone elses writings to turn to.

If you can't prove the writings to be inspired, then your left with acceptance by faith. Faith, faith, faith. The definition enough to prove my reasoning.

Choose god but don't expect, others to make the choice based on a book whos authenticity cannot be proved.

Danny

Ps. Iam already tired of this, because it never changes. You and others like you, who tout all this belief in Scripture, never give one iota of recognition to the alternate view. I understand you can't do it, it would take that big rafter holding up your very exsistance and rock you to your knee's.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Danni:
    Actually you are being disingenuous, regarding Ghandi

By amazing coincidence I have been reading about him, just since Sunday.
    Whilst he remained Hindu he was greatly influenced by the character of Jesus, after reading Tolstoy, and others.

I have to agree on many of your points, though. Taking the premise that "God" exists, all the religion and reading in the world (and dependance on the traditions thereof) will avail you nothing if you don't simply accept "Him" for yourself.

Undis:
    I'm interested in your theology to the point that I'm wondering what "Systematic Theology" you ascribe to.

Unless we are alive, how can we repent?
    To this end I shall ask the oft debated question:
    In your opinion, what comes first, regeneration or conversion?

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

MoHatMoLittleToi,

***Taking the premise that "God" exists, all the religion and reading in the world (and dependance on the traditions thereof) will avail you nothing if you don't simply accept "Him" for yourself.***

Thank you. In addition it is also not unknown that some people (including myself) can visualize and accept "Him" for themselves, without the need for 'scripture' or any other religious based dogma.

Regards,

Danni

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Danni:
    The more I meet people, and see commonality of experience through diverse exposures to "spirituality" (not religion, I might add), the more I understand this to be the case.

I believe the essential ingredient is "submission of the ego", but that draws the question "to what / who?"
    To this end, I maintain a belief that the loving "Christ" of the bible is perhaps the easiest way (though I accept that I am biased). Meanwhile, however, I make it my constant aim not to judge others.

Ghandi is a fascinating character...

• gumby
    gumby
    Ps. Iam already tired of this, because it never changes. You and others like you, who tout all this belief in Scripture, never give one iota of recognition to the alternate view. I understand you can't do it, it would take that big rafter holding up your very exsistance and rock you to your knee's.

Dannybastardbear,

It also bothers me badly that regardless of how much logical, factual, documentation that you show to "some believers", they are NO different than a dub who will not listen to, or even think about the fact that what they hold so dear, is based on falsehood. They choose not to even consider it. It's blasphemy! It's spooky! It's leaving your psuedo comfort zone that keeps you sane!

You and others like you, who tout all this belief in Scripture, never give one iota of recognition to the alternate view

Dannybear,

If LittleToe had not been a part of this forum, many would not have experienced something. He ...to me.....is a invaluable gem of an example, that not ALL believers have closed minds. He will admit to truths that may contradict what he once believed truth. He will reason. He doesn't judge.He will stand face to face with anyone on any question because he has the smarts to know that the god he believes in would WANT him be truthful to himself.

Sorry for the idolization of LT My point is.... it's nice to know that their ARE people who will reason and change viewpoints if need be. People like him are like people were in field service......out of 100 people, you get one who will step out of their boundry where need be, even if it means offending fellow believers. I'm not saying LT lost his faith, ....just saying he will discard elements of that faith if they don't belong there.

Thanks LT for saving dannybear from going into hiding again and giving him some hope that some things do change here and that their are those who will admit to things and change former thought if need be.

* Heads out the door to Wallmart to try and find a stuffed LT teddybear to mail to dannybear*

Gumsmartass

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Undis:

Jesus Christ is THE Judge, not me or anyone else.

On another level, I don't believe he is at all. Sure, the Revelation of John uses that term, but it appears to be more in a sense of handing down a sentence.
    In that respects I tend to lean more heavily towards John 3:17-21, in that people judge themselves.

Gumby:

Stop gushing, yer embarrassing me!!!

Regarding "faith", I'd rather use the term "belief system".
    I'm just being pedantic, but I seem to be one of the few around here who defines "faith" as something spiritual, rather than merely mental.

I'll be candid in saying that my belief-system has been stripped down to "simply Jesus", on a number of occasions. But you know how I love theology, as a subject. I keep on clouding the issue with my penchant for intellectual conundrums (especially regarding a certain body of Middle-Eastern literature, not exclusively the "Bible").
    Better to be a child, IMHO, as "Daddy" gives you more slack.

I cannot dismiss the bible out of hand, because I see within it examples of people striving to explain "spiritual" encounters within a physical context. The all-or-nothing approach is unhealthy, at both ends of the spectrum, IMHO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit