What truths have you come to embrace?

by Steve Lowry 27 Replies latest jw friends

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Wow, I don't agree with ANY of you! Here's mine:

- I am the only one in charge of my life
    - People only have an effect on my life if I let them.
    - I have the power to kick people I don't like out of my life
    - Happiness should only be built on my own existance, not someone else's
    - I can change my morals, thoughts and opinions if I don't like them.
    - If I spend my life waiting for other people, I'll grow old and die.

Well (I couldn't just dare that) cause sometimes it just seems not "that" true. if you see what I mean ... But we can DREAM ON, BUT I have faith ...

• Special K
    Special K

I've tried to embrace this one for some time now..

Keep what is worth keeping and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.

that helps me at times

Special K

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Hello frenchbabyface! I didnt get any of what you said, except:

BUT I have faith ...

I've given up on faith. Faith just doesn't work. I've put faith into so much (ie god, relationships, my parents, friendship) and most, if not all has been quite disappointing. I don't like setting myself up for disappointment. Faith is a way to brush aside reality.

However, I do believe in hope. Is it more realistic to have faith that my mother will leave the JWs, than hoping she will?

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Faith in me ... (I have to at least)

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

My new truth is along the lines of LT, it can be boiled down to "love".

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/71836/1.ashx

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

All of these responses have been great! And I will take some time to ponder on them. Thank you for your input.

Now, as to my observation on the truth or principle, if you will, concerning how it is impossible for anyone to do anything for someone else without some element of selfish motivation attached, allow me to expound. I came to this self-realization some years ago and know this to be true for everyone (regardless of status). I have gotten friends (especially Christians) really going at dinner parties with this statement. People automatically join a negative association with the term selfish motivation. We have all been trained to think of it as "bad" or negative behavior to act "selfish". However, to think I can do something for someone else without some selfish motivation attached to the act, is self-delusional. The following are two examples use to help illustrate:

1. A homeless person on the street asks a man walking by for money. The man refuses and walks on. By not giving money to the homeless person, we believe he acts in a selfish manner.

2. A homeless person on the street asks another man who is walking by for money. The man gives him a dollar. By giving money to the homeless person, we believe he dose not act in a selfish manner.

But the truth is that both men acted out of selfish motivation. For one it is not important to help but to keep his money in his pocket, and selfish motivation is satisfied. For the other it is important to help others and by giving, selfish motivation is satisfied. He fills well that he gave money to the needy person. This isn?t to say that both are equal, for they are not. One satisfies selfish motivation without benefiting his fellow man. While the other satisfies selfish motivation while benefiting his fellow man. I call it negative verses positive selfish motivation (or gratification). One is egocentric and the other is symbiotic or synergetic. Negative/positive, but both selfish in nature. This may seem like "hair splitting" but it is actually a very important distinction. When we realize that what we do (whatever it may be) primarily satisfies US and not who we envision we are intending the "good" act for (even though they may benefit as well), then no frustration is necessary when our "good deed" goes un-thanked or unappreciated.

You will always do that which satisfies you (first), even if it seems as if your act of kindness has no self-seeking motivation. To believe otherwise, is not a true principle.

To embrace your selfish nature is OK. Acknowledge it, and do something with it that benefits others

• poppers
    poppers

- I am not who I think I am.

- I cannot tell you what I am, I can only tell you what I am not.

- Words to describe what I truly am would include "boundless, pure, eternal, and that which can never be harmed".

- Now is all there is - to rehash the past or fantasize about the future is to miss the opportunity to discover what I truly am.

- Experiencing the world without a conceptual framework to distort it is to live in freedom and peace.

- No one can tell me what "truth" is, especially churches, philosophers, and gurus - it must be discovered for myself, moment by moment.

- There is no "inner" and "outer" - there is only "what is".

- Freedom, truth, and peace are closer to me than my very breath.

- To see my true nature in all people/things is to live life anchored in love.

- There is nothing I need when living life from my true nature.

- I am.

• Brummie
    Brummie

To value other peoples lives even if they dont believe that same as we do, and to enjoy diversity rather than see it as a threat like JWs do.

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit