Why Sex??

by PopeOfEruke 48 Replies latest social relationships

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Since being de-Borged, I have come to appreciate that the answer to the old blue book "Did Man get here by Evolution or by Creation" is probably "Evolution".

One thing about evolution which is still hard to explain is Why or How did Sexual Reproduction evolve? Of course now that we have it, I guess most of us would not like to go back to the "old" way, of either dividing ourselves into 2, or else self-fertilizing ourselves from our own 2 sets of sex-organs (ewwww!!!). I know a lot of men try this anyway but to no avail.........

But what motive force could have existed to actually evolve sexual reproduction in the first place? It seems this is a tricky subject for science to explain; most articles I read suggest a few options like The Red Queen theory (that one's from the north of England I believe) but mostly the scientists like to explain the advantages of sexual reproduction but try to dodge or minimize the reasons for it to develop in the first place.

I came across one scary thought however:

One man could produce enough sperm in a fortnight to provide one for every fertile woman on Earth.

Anyway if there are any resident biological scientists on the Forum, maybe you could help with some explanations for the origin of sexual reproduction.

Pope

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

That's why I think evolution is kind of crappy.... Cause most abdaptations that most the evolutionist preach aren't really much of a chemical change it's more of a "more convient" change. Like the giraffe thing. They preach that thing to death, but what freakin chemical reaction made them grow necks? And wouldn't it take years upon years for them to change? If they needed long necks that badly then they would have died off on the fist generation. What abdaptation made us need 5 fingers? No chemical reaction makes it NECCISARY for us to have 5 fingers. I can go on and on with that stuff.

Evolution in my opinion is more of a religion than christianity even. They depend on assumptions and those assumptions become reality.

However sorry I just don't know lol. Even if you get an answer from a scientist it will be a theory. Like everything else.

I have to admit stuff abdapt but heh this perfectly? Thousands upon thousands of "Big Crunches" when the universe is born again and closed again, just can't make it that perfect... especially when they abdaptations are more of a convience than chemical.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Hey Pope,

Sexual reproduction arose as a means to increase genetic variablity through
    sucessive generations. In sexual reproduction the genetic marterial from
    TWO distinct individuals is combined whereas asexual production only uses
    the genetic material of ONE individual. Sexual reproduction is possible
    without sexual organs. In fact it first appeared in single celled
    organisms. For example a green algae known as Chlamydomonas has a primitive sexual reproduction whereby two separate strains
    (plus and minus) will combine to exchange genetic material. As these single
    celled organisms evolved into multicellular organisms the sexual
    reproduction systems became more advanced and developed into discrete
    sexual organs. Lower plants such as ferns and mosses
    were some of the first organisms to appear with sexual organs, ie a "male
    plant" and "female plant" and provide a good basis for learning about the
    evolution of sexual reproduction. For a good web-site which details the
    evolution of sexual reproduction in plants click here.

I had no earthly clue, but I thought this a good question and felt the need to look it up finding this explanation, sounds pretty good to me.

Cassi

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    maybe you could help with some explanations for the origin of sexual reproduction

See, now this is one of the things that I take as proof of a Divine Being.

We have genitals. We can rub our genitals together. We have tongues. We can rub our genitals against one another's tongues.

DO YOU THINK EVOLUTION PRODUCED THIS???

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    DO YOU THINK EVOLUTION PRODUCED THIS???

No? I think the great Bonabo in the sky made us this way.

• wasasister
    wasasister
    I have to admit stuff abdapt but heh this perfectly? Thousands upon thousands of "Big Crunches" when the universe is born again and closed again, just can't make it that perfect... especially when they abdaptations are more of a convience than chemical.

Obviously Secret....seriously, Dude. Huh? You can go on and on with this stuff? I implore you, please do not.

If your post is in support of Creation, then I can add nothing. lol and stuff

• onacruse
    onacruse

If it wasn't for sex, the miserable batch of beings called "humans" would not continue to infest this planet, and all would be well.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    If it wasn't for sex, the miserable batch of beings called "humans" would not continue to infest this planet, and all would be well.

We don't need no stinkin' sex no more we have turkey basters and petrie dishes, thanks to the evloving human brain we now have no need for ourselves!

Cassi

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

You don't have to be a creationist to have some reservations about evolution as it's currently explained. I read in Scientific American a few years ago that evolution theorists themselves are bothered about the eye. It is apparently an extremely finely tuned mechanism which could not work if any part were missing, and they were wondering how it could have evolved over time. Since it would not be functional without any part, their would be no evolutionary reason for one particular part to develop. It's interesting. I think there are still some questions unanswered. Stephen Jay Gould came up with punctuated equilibrium a few years ago, and I remember the outcry against it, but now I believe it is considered a valid theory. So there are probably more developments to come. Personally I like the biologist Rupert Sheldrake's theory about morphogenetic fields, but a lot of scientists loathe him.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Forgot to mention, ROTFLMAO Dan-o

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit