abortion...Do parents have the rights to know..

by Brummie 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Brummie
    Brummie

..if their young daughter is going to have an abortion?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolpda/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_3709000/3709681.stm

I think this mother had the rights to know, British law doesnt think so.

Brummie

• blondie
    blondie

It depends on the law in your area and whether you are discussing the legal or ethical aspects. In the US,

Laws Requiring Parental Consent or Notification for Minors' Abortions

Forty-four states have laws on the books requiring parental consent or notification prior to a minor's abortion. Thirty-four laws are in effect. One is scheduled to take effect. Six states and the District of Columbia have no law.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/library/abortion/statelaws.html

• flower
    flower

I dont understand why they wouldnt contact the parent. If the child were caught smoking in the bathroom or writing on the walls or cheating on a test they would most definately let the parent know. What do they think the harm is in giving the parent a chance to talk to their child about what to do? How can that decision be left up to a 14 year old kid?

• flower
    flower

and who is it that makes the judgement as to whether the childs parent is in the 'good supportive parent' class or the 'bad abusive parent' class? this childs mother, while disappointed was ready and willing to support her daughter and help raise the baby.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    If the child were caught smoking in the bathroom or writing on the walls or cheating on a test

When my daughter got caught without a seat belt she told us before the court date. Guess she needed someone to pay the fine. And that is it in a nutshell, if the child can be fined for his/her act the parents will know in a minute, but abortion does not fall into this catagory so officials can act noble and with hold the info. Bug

• simplesally
    simplesally

I believe parents have the right to know before any medical procedure is administered to their child. I also think I would prefer that my daughter tell me and not the courts. No matter who tells me, if this situation ever happened to us, I would help her and support her. Being angry would not help, being supportive and crying with her because she may be upset is how I would hope to handle it.

• Ciara
    Ciara

But if the parents are abusive, and only have their own interests at heart, then no, the poor child is better off getting help and advice from a non-related qualified person who will not notify the parents, period.

Maybe I'm biased here but I was pregnant at 15 and if my father had ever found out... I'm sure me and the baby would have been in physical danger. I'm not an advocate of abortion but I do think that girls should have the right to have counselling and make decisions independant of their parents.

Ciara
    Custom Smiley

• bebu
    bebu

... The schools here will not allow a nurse to administer aspirin, Tylenol, or ibuprofen to a student, or bring it to school--even with a parent's permission. So they'd better not ever send any daughter of mine to an abortion clinic without my knowledge!

When I was in high school, I used to wonder why parental consent was such a big issue... Being a parent, I finally understand what the big fuss is about.

bebu

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Maybe I'm biased here but I was pregnant at 15 and if my father had ever found out... I'm sure me and the baby would have been in physical danger.

So sorry. Unfortunately, this situation is as common as dirt.

If you're a decent parent, you have nothing to worry about. The law is to protect those who need protection.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

I would like to know who takes responsibility if something happened to the girl during the abortion. The school or would the parent have to take responsibility? What if she was allergic to the pills and died? Would the school be culpable?

Would they have been made to tell the parent if it were a surgical procedure? Here in the states medical facilities need consent prior to treatment.

Cassi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit