Religion..

by Sassy 37 Replies latest members private

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

IMHO religion can be a stepping stone to spirituality, however once that spirituality has been attained it may then become a very slippery stepping stone indeed.

Look at those who are religious, with no spirituality, and then compare them to those who are spiritual with or without a religious life.
    The contrast is obvious.

How often the slippery road of legalism is entered upon, though.
    If only folks would remember the tenets of "love" and "liberty", so much pain of soul (own and others) might be avoided.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow
    I can assure you that when I'm finally rid of this WTBTS, I'll never ever join another religious organization!

DY

You and me both, doubtfully!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Sassy,

I don't get too involved with religious debates,,but enjoy reading them (usually skim read).

This board has a lot of different levels of people coming out of the WT,,some still need these types of discussion and we have some excelent posters that have good reasoning ability for helping some with religious issues.

I don't think I would ever join a "religion" ever,,no need in my estimation. Reading the religious debates here only strenthen my resolve never join a religion,, because they all serve up some type of bull shit,,

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Religion is often just mental created concepts and beliefs about God or truth; abstracts void of Life and truth. When inner wisdom consciously recognizes religion as a source of spiritual malnutrition there is an opportunity to step out of the confines of the mind and it's beliefs, and into being more present with this moment of Life. Perhaps what we seek is already here, now......if we really, really look. j

• little1
    little1

I spent many years being very fire and brimstone religious-one of my ex-husbands was a minister. In my opinion religion divides and alienates us from each other. I believe spirituality-seeking that part of each of us that longs to know someone or something bigger than ourselves-is much more satisfying, and a lot less stressful. I think it bothered my ex-JW boyfriend that I, apostate that I am, seemed to have a close relationship with God. I asked him about his relationship with his God, but he didn't seem to have one. I guess the org doesn't think that's necessary as long as one follows all the rules.

Enjoy a break-or take a break forever if that's what fits you. I'll never go to church again, I think. It gives me the heebie jeebies. Besides, I like enjoying my Starbucks in my jammies on Sunday morning, not rushing around wondering what to wear to impress the other church goers.

little1

• Sassy
    Sassy

I guess for me.. the thing that prompted this thread and my reaction regarding religion was the fact that a couple nights in a row in the evening chats, people were quoting scripture and WT and KM stuff and having a discussion not about why they are wrong, but more like you are sitting in on a bible study.. or at the Kingdom Hall. It wasn't a good feeling. It also reminded me of the emails my mom sends me trying to get me to come back.. I so feel abused regarding the WTS, that I was kind upset to hear mostly pro JW talk in chat.. I realize this is a JW discussion board.. so I guess I had no reason to be upset. but I didn't enjoy it.. and although I have been in chat some since.. I have cut back some depending on who I see in the room..

• little1
    little1

I can't stand talking doctrine/scripture/dogma. I spent too many years arguing ad nauseum about those things. Going to church, hearing scripture read and all the songs just triggers bad memories for me. I don't want to talk about it. I went on a blind date with a guy who started yammering on and on about religion after I told him I don't like to talk about it! I said, "You're making me want to kill myself here, can we change the subject?" Needless to say it was our last date Religion is a way to keep women in an inferior position. It sucks.

little1

• Sassy
    Sassy

OMG.. I'd probably end that date fast...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit