my reaction

by wasasister 17 Replies latest social current

• wasasister
    wasasister

I saw just enough of the beheading video to cast me in a terrible depression. That - added to the prison abuse still photos - leaves me wondering why humans continually sink to such depravity. (I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm sick of seeing naked men.) Yes, there are many examples of men and women who have shown great integrity and demonstrated outstanding courage in the face of challenge. Yes, we can still take comfort in the fact that the individuals who participate, condone, or ignore such atrocities are not in the majority; still I am sickened to think that people are capable of doing such terrible things to each other.

Some would blame the culture of the Muslims, but I would remind them that it was not that long ago (a short time when human history is being considered) when Christians were burning people alive for heresy. Nazis - nominal Christians - turned murder and torture into an art form. All cultures and faiths have been guilty of extreme cruelty, slaughter, ethnic cleansing, etc. One only has to read the Old Testiment accounts of the "cleansing" of the Caananites from the Promised Land to be reminded that this sort of thing has gone on, in the name of God or gods, as long as humans have recorded their history.

When I watched the Disney cartoon version of the story of Moses, I wondered: "Who was more culpable? The Egyptians who slaughtered first-born baby boys, or the Hebrew God who slaughtered first-born baby boys?" I'd give it a tie.

Much has been discussed about which is worse - acts of humiliation in an Iraqi prison, or the brutal murder of an American contractor. My opinion is that both are unacceptable, and I don't want to be part of either culture. Blame is easy to throw, but in all of the party rhetoric being bandied about, have we asked ourselves what that young man who lost his head was doing in Iraq in the first place? Did he need work because he could not earn a fair living in his own country? Should you expect trouble when you insert a group of people into a place they are not welcome and for which they are not prepared? Does this sort of thing transcend politics and get to the core of who we are as human beings?

Questions I cannot answer, and I wonder if anyone can. Tonight I am sad not only for the family of Nicholas Berg, but also for my species.

Wasa

• sandy
    sandy
    Questions I cannot answer, and I wonder if anyone can. Tonight I am sad not only for the family of Nicholas Berg, but also for my species.

I know exactly how you feel Wasa. Whenever these aweful things happen I always think of the words of Anne Frank:

"It?s a wonder I haven?t abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.

It?s utterly impossible for me to build my life on a foundation of chaos, suffering and death. I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty too shall end, that peace and tranquility will return once more" - July 15, 1944

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I am continually aware that things of this sort are happening all over the world, all of the time. So sure, I get a visceral reaction inside when I read of this guys parents, or if I place myself in his last moments... but then, I am quickly brought back to the big picture, and in the big picture, unfortunately this is happening in various places all over the world, every day. Why should I let this incident define anything for myself? I knew the conditions were ripe for it before it happened.

My JW mom, the other day, tried to do the old "end times shuffle", as I was bitchin and moaning about the damage done by the prison abuse. "I can't say it really surprises me, I would only expect this sort of thing, as things go from bad to worse", she said. "Worse than what?" I replied, "worse than 4000 years ago, with Isrealites killing women, babies, old people?" She saw my point.

Our species is in for more of this sort of thing. That doesn't mean our species hasn't made, or isn't making, progress.

• onacruse
    onacruse

We've already had three threads locked/moved about this topic, tonight.

If the discussion can stay civil, without profanities and personal attacks, then all for the best.

With all respects to those whose threads have been locked/moved...your patience and understanding, please.

Sincerely,

Craig

• bebu
    bebu

Here is the answer to one question, perhaps--who was Berg and why was he in Iraq? Sounds like he was a very compassionate person.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/11/berg.victim.ap/index.html

Tonight I am sad not only for the family of Nicholas Berg, but also for my species.

((((wasa)))) Me too.

These are emotionally hard times for many people. The ability for men "in this day and age" to be heartless staggers the world .

Aleksander Solzenitzen has a famous quote, "Wouldn't it be wonderful, to take all the evil people and put them over there, then we wouldn't have to deal with them. And all of us good people would stay right here. But the line of good and evil does not run between countries, or ethnicities; it runs through the heart of every person." (...A London newspaper once sought the help of its subscribers in addressing the problem of evil, inviting readers to send in their responses to the question, "What is wrong with the world today?" One response, particularly brief, read, "I am." It was sent in by G.K. Chesterton, who had come to the same conclusion as Solzenitzen.)

I personally think that forgiveness is the only route out of this mess... and that means that absorbing the pain, instead of passing it along again, is going to cost a lot, emotionally. (I do not advocate pacifism per se; but mimicking the hatred of the insurgents--who mimicked the hatred of the M.P.s!!--is surely bound to poison us...)

bebu

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I resisted reading about this horror until I looked at the one thread. I am very sorry that I did read of it now. I'll probably have nightmares.

My son tries to tell me that this is the Yin and Yang. Could there be some truth to karma? Or did someone just release the Blue Meanies into Pepperland? Are we all still waiting for Ringo to remember the 'ole in his pocket?

Sad, so sad. When will the madness end?

Flyin'

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Craig

We have a thirteen page thread speaking of how horrible a dozen or so Americans are due to the cruel and unusual punishment of POWs in Iraq. I already spoken my mind on such and will not comment further. There are also several other threads which remain unlocked dealing with the atrocities of the American soldiers in the prison.

It seems that when American's are outraged at such horrible events such as a man having his head sawed off with a knife while he screams for which seems a lifetime-- we are not able to express our outrage and concern. Of course tempers are going to flare. This is far from a "G" subject matter as are the abuses by American soldiers. I agree the attacks upon other forum members are not helping situations and need to be avoided.

But to crush any outpouring of shock, sympathy, compassion, any form of comment on the matter is only going to hurt those affected by this horrible revelation.

My .37 cents.

Cassi

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Thank you sandy and bebu for the quotes. They helped me a lot.

aunt fanny

• FMZ
    FMZ

Without wanting to sound flippant about the subject... To be honest, this story doesn't seem to have any effect on me.

War = death. It is a simple fact. Whether the person is killed by a bullet or a knife, whether they are beaten to death in a prison cell or killed and burnt in the street, whether they have their head sawed off or have their torso blown in half by an RPG... it is all still death.

Some deaths are more humane than others, sure. But I believe this only to be so because usually, the person being killed is a threat to the killer, and it is safer to dipatch of them quickly and efficiently.

I am not saying I am pro-war or anti-war... the jury is still out for me on that one. What I am saying however, is that we need to realize that this kind of thing happens in war. Regardless of what spin gets put on it, it is just another casualty of war, among the hundreds of others. I am very sure there have been soldiers on both sides that have had a more painful death than this man.

Again, sure it is sad that a family from Philadelphia has lost a son / father / brother... but why does this have such an impact on the rest of the world?

Please do not think that I don't care... I do, and it is somewhat upsetting, but no more than the little girl playing outside on her bike that died in Hiroshima, or the father of two that died on 9/11, nor any other innocent casualty of war that we never even heard about on a personal level.

FMZ

• onacruse
    onacruse

((Cassi))

To you, and all others concerned about "crushing" expression: In the time-line of such a fast-moving db as this, decisions often must be made (as much as possible with concensus, as this was), that may prove, within just another hour or two, to be "water under the bridge," if we let it so be.

To be honest, my own feelings are running very hot and heavy about all these recent "revelations."

Sincerely,

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit