One prayer that works for you.

by Steve Lowry 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Admittedly, this thread is for believers. Is there a prayer that when you pray it, you feel that it gets answered faithfully? For example, maybe when you?re afraid you pray for courage and you?re given it. Or maybe it?s something else. It doesn?t have to be very deep. Even at the age of forty-eight, I still have some very scary and or depressing dreams. It may very well be the result of being raised a JW, especially concerning the scary ones. Anyway, when I have had a few bad nights in a row, just before I go to sleep I ask God the following:

"Lord, I pray for a restful and peaceful night?s sleep. I can?t help about what I dream, so please grant me pleasant dreams tonight."

Now, it may sound silly to you, but practically without fail, when I pray this prayer, it is honored. I have seen this happen so many times in my life that I try to remember to pray this prayer every night now. I forget for a time to pray the prayer and then I am reminded to ask again. And faithfully He honors my request. Believe it or not, this is one major way that I know God loves me. It?s a little thing but it tells me a lot about His love for me.

Is there something like this in your life?

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

I'm not posting this for the purpose of disagreeing with your theory in a God that does actually answer prayers. But when I "pray" it is more for a reminder to let my subconscious mind bring back the positive thoughts that I would like my conscious mind to realize. I believe that reminding myself of these positive thoughts, especially just before bed, (when our conscious mind is at rest and cannot interfere with our subconscious) is actually why the "prayers" are answered.

Even though I don't believe that it is a separate being that makes these good things happen, I still get the same results as people who "pray".

But if people don't believe in the results happening then no matter who they are directing it towards, it will likely not work. Interesting how suggestable and yet how powerful the mind is, eh?

By the way, my favorite is the "God grant me the serenity one"....... I'm sure everyone is aware of that one.

Brad

• shamus
    shamus
    Admittedly, this thread is for believers.

Can you get any more cryptic? What the hell does that mean?

God never answered one of my prayers. Not once. And I did everything that I could for that person.

God is dead; and I don't care.

Kind regards,

Sham.

• Lizard_King_DoorBell
    Lizard_King_DoorBell

God is dead; and I don't care.

That sounds like a prayer to me. At least thats how my prayers sound.

LKD

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

My prayers have thus far been answered 100%
    God is good...

• onacruse
    onacruse

Steve, interesting that you ask this.

The night before last, I felt a need to talk to God.

At first, I used the name "Jehovah"; then, I stopped myself, and said (mentally) "Father," and then "No, I'm going to speak to you as "Prime Cause."

The next thought I had was "Forgive me for my imperfections." Then I said to myself NO!

My final expression was: "Accept me for what I am, for this is what you made me to be."

And then I passed, peacefully, into sleep.

Craig

• talesin
    talesin

Steve,

What a lovely post. Thank you for sharing.

I don't sleep much. My bedroom window faces on the back yard.

Just before the dawn breaks, I can hear the birds twittering as they wake. I know that soon, the sky will begin to lighten. Slowly, the sky turns to a light grey, then brightens to a lovely blue (on the sunny days). I love birds. There is a robin who sings to me each morning, and a flock of pigeons lives two doors down. We also have quite a lively community of crows.

Hearing these lovely creatures greet me every morning, watching the beauty of nature and the wonder of the dawn, is like a prayer to me. It brings me much peace and joy, so I guess that even though I may not be a believer in God as such, my prayers are answered. I hope you don't mind my sharing, but I get your sentiment and understand where you're coming from. Just wanted to share my version. We are not that far apart, are we?

peace, love and happiness

talesin

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Craig:
    Just a thought:
    "It's not about you" (or me, for that matter).

If it were, it'd be no bigger than us.
    We can create "God" in our image, and define "Him" with our words and mental processes, but once we do "He" has ceased to be "God".

Why has "God" got to accept us at all?
    If we call the shots as to what "He" has to accept, then "He" has ceased to be.
    If we pay no regard to what "His" plans may be (if we accept that "God" has intelligence and personality), what is our place in the flow of universal life?
    My attitude to this matter (I believe) has probably contributed to the success of my own prayers.

I suspect a major part of deity is awe and respect.
    Once that has gone, the god of our choice has ceased to exist.
    I believe that's true for any relationship and that is surely what the crux of prayer is about - relationship!

Btw, I never use the name "Jehovah", either. It reminds me too much of a false god I used to worship...

All of this is just IMHO, of course.
    I have a great deal of respect for the way you've handle the road that you've walked.
    It's quite different from mind, and puts me in mind of something I was once told:

"We all have our cross to bear and no matter how difficult it might be, it's shaped to our shoulders. Another person's cross would be even more irksome than our own, so learn contentment, yet within that strive to be better..."

• Sirona
    Sirona

LT

Why has "God" got to accept us at all?
    If we call the shots as to what "He" has to accept, then "He" has ceased to be.

Yes. I think that this is where Jws in particular go wrong, because they call the shots as to what God wants or does not want. They also judge others as though they are gods.

I'm curious about this comment:

We can create "God" in our image, and define "Him" with our words and mental processes, but once we do "He" has ceased to be "God".

I agree that we cannot define God. However the "gods" are our way of having a representation of God so that we can at least comprehend having a relationship. Do you have a mental picture or idea of God when you pray? God tends to be in our image, or in the image of something earthly when he/she interacts with us. That is how we can comprehend. The bible shows that various faithful ones "saw" god as a man on a throne, etc.

Do you want to explain a bit more what you meant?

Sirona

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Brad,

That?s an interesting perspective. I wonder if we both can?t be right? I dunno.

I also pray (not everyday) that I can resolve the problems I encounter today effectively and efficiently at work and at home and that my day flows together so I can get the most done in the time given. Now while not every time I pray this prayer does it happen as I wish, most days when I take the time to pray ?over the day? I see the difference. Honestly, I don?t think there is an inner power that I can connect with that effects the events in my day of which I have little or no control over simply because I ask or wish for it (following with your dream "prayer" concept). Generally I have forgotten about the prayer early into the morning. Its at the end of the day that remember, "Oh yea, I prayed today".

Sham,

I don?t understand how the beginning of my paragraph comes off cryptic to you? Seems rather evident in its meaning to me. Folks who don?t believe in God usually aren?t interested in discussions about praying to Him.

Talesin,

This spring a family of birds took nest in my bedroom wall. At first I was a little irritated at hearing the screams of baby birds for food at dawns light. But now I lay there and listen in my mind's eye, to momma putting her morning goodies into their hungry little throats. In a short while the screams for food quiet down and I know all is right in the world, at least in that little space in my bedroom wall. I was gonna close the hole in the wall after graduation day, but I think I?ll leave it alone for the next family looking for a little real-estate.

Onacruise,

We are of a mind, you and I.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit