I have arrived! (Bend, Oregon)

by Xander 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander

Well, folks, finally here! Actually, got here in February, but things have been INSANE trying to get the house finished.

We flew out in January, looked around, found a house we liked, bought it, flew back.

Then, had to GET here. Again, insanity! In-laws actually had a *moment* of kindness and let us borrow the trailer they used for hauling nursery stock all over Ohio and Michigan (used to be for hauling horses, so it was fairly big sized). We got *almost* everything we needed in it. My truck couldn't haul it, nor could my wife's Subaru. We ended up buying trading in both our old vehicles and buying a new car - Jeep Liberty 4x4 (2004 Renegade model - *drool* - it's COOL). Actually worked out alright, as we still had another year and a half of payments to go on the Subi, and interests rates are WAY down now - monthly payments are a little over HALF what they were for the Subi! Granted, a lot more than a year to go now, anyway, but....

Put most of our stuff in the trailer, our cats in the back of the jeep in rather large cages with my computers and travelling supplies and clothes...

Anyway, so we set of to drive across the country! MANY days across, as we went the southern route to avoid any inclimate weather and crappy roads. Cats slept during the day, but got REAL unhappy about 10 or 11 at night (and, of course, were unhappy in the morning - but they liked running around the hotel rooms!), essentially adding another whole DAY onto the trip.

New Mexico and Arizona (stayed the night in Flagstaff) are just as beautiful as I remember, by the way! Picture of us stopped in New Mexico:

(Wife won't let me posts pics of her on the 'net, so MOST of the pics on the way I can't show).

Also, idiot detour around Nevada. The straight shot through New Mexico to Oregon would require crossing the Hoover Damn....which we found out once we GOT there that we weren't allowed to cross. Police checkpoint. They required to be able to completely inspect the trailer to let us cross. Which took us 2 days to load. SO....had to drive ALL the way down to the last road that branched off the highway and went around the damn. THAT'S only 4 hours one way, so we wasted 8 hours total!! VERY irritating!!!

We were suitably impressed by Northern California, though:

Arrived to find plenty of snow still around! And, got to check out the town a LOT more. VERY, VERY beautiful area. Works cannot express.

It's a bustling town of 55,000 - so, it has almost all the conveniences of a major city suburb.....only, there is no major city nearby!

Seriously, we have, like, 4 brewpubs in town. 2 theaters - one concentrating a little more on artistic films (and a new one just opened that concentrates EXCLUSIVELY on artistic performances). About 6 community theaters for plays and music. An outdoor mall, with another under construction (no indoor malls). So many places to eat it's silly! I mean, 55,000 people and we have FOUR sushi restaurants!

It's just crazy how cool the town is!

And, better, drive 20 minutes away from 'downtown' in any direction? In the middle of WILDERNESS. Especially going east - you better fuel up before heading out, as the next gas station out of town is a good 2 hour drive! (There *are* a couple mom-and-pop convenience stores on the way. Literally. Two. They *might* be able to sell you a can of gas if they have one laying around. But, other than that, you outta luck!)

And, it's nature gone wild. The area is called "High Desert", you wouldn't normally associate that with so many trees! (And, of course, heading east, there AREN'T any). But, I understand it used to be a logging town....there are a LOT of trees around. Standing on top of Pilot Butte, you can see nothing but a carpet of forest in every direction (well, only so far - there are mountains to the north, south, and west and the forest just goes up to the timberline on them, obviously). Heading east is....well, desert. Still, the mountains are fairly far away, and little more than buttes to the south and *those* are REALLY far away.

It's just amazing.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Amazingly beautiful, Xander! Such wonderful pics....thanks for sharing. Glad yall made it!

Some great witless friends of mine from the early 90's moved up there....don't know if they're still there or not but they were terrific, laid back and fun. Hope they found their "Exodus"

Frannie B

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Californai and Oregon are my home area (Beaverton-Portalns last) ... these pictures make me miss it. Thanks for sharing ... its good that you are getting settled, and I greatly enjoyed seeing these pictures.

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Woo-Hoo, welcome to the Pacific North West!! I did the drive from Seattle, WA to Ohio, four days, moving all our stuff, (and then came back 6 months later) so I can tell you with all sincerity, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! Glad you made it safe and sound!

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

GLAD YOU MADE IT XANDER.

GO EAST TO THE OREGON BORDER WITH IDAHO AND YOU ARE IN MY COUNTRY.

HI DESERT HERE ALSO BUT ONLY ABOUT 1 OR 2 HR DRIVE TO 8 TO 10 THOUSAND FOOT HIGH MOUNTAINS.

THE SNAKE RIVER IS THE ORE/IDAHO BORDER IN THIS AREA. IT FLOWS THROUGH HELL'S CANYON. THE DEEPEST GORGE IN THE US, INCLUDING ARIZONA AND THE COLORADO RIVER. LARGE RIVER AND HUGE RESERVOIRS SOME 50 PLUS MILES LONG.

WE LIVE WHERE THE WEISER RIVER FLOWS INTO THE SNAKE.

COME EAST YOUNG MAN! I'LL BUY YOU A BEER.

Outoftheorg

• Carmel
    Carmel

Welcome to Oregon! Hope you enjoy it as much as you seem to. Was in Bend a year ago for a bachelor party of my son-in-law. Great golf courses and river rafting.

carm

• Xander
    Xander
    Amazingly beautiful, Xander! Such wonderful pics....thanks for sharing. Glad yall made it!
    Californai and Oregon are my home area (Beaverton-Portalns last) ... these pictures make me miss it. Thanks for sharing ... its good that you are getting settled, and I greatly enjoyed seeing these pictures.

Well, hopefully I'll get some pictures of Oregon up soon. Since the 'day' we arrived (at, like, 11pm) we've been running non-stop. I really haven't had a chance to do much 'sight-seeing'. Been over to Salem 4 times, though (no local Best Buy or Lowe's - the closest of either, for now, is in our state capital 3 hours away. Good thing it's a GORGEOUS drive!) and Portland once (since I've been here, I've been in Portland before - gorgeous....for a city, anyway.)

Gotta remember to take the camera out for the next trip out.

Or any of the local events! Town is FULL of stuff going on. First Friday of every month is an 'art walk' through the downtown area. Every Wednesday is a farmer's market. TONS of music coming this summer. Lots of plays always going on. It's just incredible!

HI DESERT HERE ALSO BUT ONLY ABOUT 1 OR 2 HR DRIVE TO 8 TO 10 THOUSAND FOOT HIGH MOUNTAINS.

THE SNAKE RIVER IS THE ORE/IDAHO BORDER IN THIS AREA. IT FLOWS THROUGH HELL'S CANYON. THE DEEPEST GORGE IN THE US, INCLUDING ARIZONA AND THE COLORADO RIVER. LARGE RIVER AND HUGE RESERVOIRS SOME 50 PLUS MILES LONG.

Oh, I dunno, I like our mountains.

My view west is dominated by Mt. Bachelor. A modest 9,062 ft high. And that's only 30 minutes from town. Heh.

And the Deschutes river literally runs through the center of town (Drake Park is built around a lake fed by the river), so we have LOTS of rivers in the area. It's a good (and very dangerous) place for whitewater rafting/kayaking. Plus, the mountains around Bachelor have TONS of very serious lakes in them (high-altitude lakes. Yummy. Cold, crystal clear water ALL YEAR.) perfect for lake kayaking.

Great golf courses and river rafting.

Yeah, it's very much a tourist area in spots. LOTS of *very* nice golf courses. And development is staying up-scale. They say if you own any property in Bend you make about $800 a month in property value appreciation (which is more than our mortgage is, so we are HAPPY). A LOT of Californians have second or third homes up here as investments.

• shamus
    shamus
    (Wife won't let me posts pics of her on the 'net, so MOST of the pics on the way I can't show).

A very good idea.

Hey, that looks like Kamloops up here in Canada!

Glad that you're settled in! Nice piccies!!!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Welcome "home", Xander!

Beautiful country, central Oregon is. Kate and I haven't yet headed over that way together...maybe, when y'all get settled, we could swing on through, visit with ya, and see some of the local spots.

But don't ask me to go skiing LOL

Craig

• Xander
    Xander

We don't downhill, either. But cross-country is usually pretty safe. And a MUCH better workout, to boot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit