Backpacking and Travelling, New Friends and New Experiences

by Celtic 19 Replies latest social physical

• Celtic
    Celtic

How many of you balmpots have ever had the travelling bug before? How close have you come to just simply dumping everything, donning your backpack and making off for new horizons? Perhaps you have already caught the travelling bug and already seen many exciting new places, new, strange to you cultures and experienced the life on the road, on a minimal budget.

Can you tell us where you would like to go, where you have been and any stories about your travels? Can you provide weblinks to inspire others here to get out of the ruts often in life we find ourselves in and create an inspiritory tale, storytell your experiences?

I guess I'm not looking for the posher holiday and/or vacation experiences, but the kind where you were not afraid to really experience something new and different from the general mould.

Storytell away now ....

• Simon
    Simon

No, wish I had .. .but never had the chance. Having kids makes it impossible.

Maybe in anothe life or years to come ...

• ball.
    ball.

I have thought about it. After many hard years, I have suddenly found myself free of any outgoings and with a house but no children or partner. I could just let my house out and go. Tomorrow. But do you know what? I get home sick on two week holidays. I love England so much, for all it's faults. I love nothing more than to come back to England after a holiday and I get a warm feeling when travelling on the road into my home town. I may at some point take a break longer than two weeks, but I'm staying put for the time being.

• Elmer J. Fudd
    Elmer J. Fudd

Well, Celtic,

I have been a resident of the following States:

Illinois (twice) , Kentucky (three times), Ohio, Califonia (three times), Iowa, Georgia, North Carolina, Maryland, Indiana, Florida (three times) and found I wanted to reside in Florida.

I backpacked in North Carolina for years. I used to hire a boat at Fontana Lake Dock to take me to trout streams in "The Smokies" and would stay for a weeks at a time. My favorate place in this country to backpack, flyfish and bird watch is Glacier Park, Montana. The spectible I seen before me at the park made me feel smaller than an ant. I caught and released more trout there than I did in Alaska.

My two cents.......

Elmer

• 4JWY
    4JWY

At this very moment my husband is on his adventure dream trip to Italy with his bicycle. Not me, but that's ok - we couldn't afford for both of us to go, but it's my gift to him for our 25th anniversary coming up soon AND in celebration of our new life. When we married, and before he converted, he was racing bikes, but then gave up the racing for the "truth". It was still his serious pasttime to be out on the bike - for which he was of course looked down upon as he should have been spending that time in theocratic pursuits right?

He's having the time of his life climbing in the Dolomite Mountains today and lookin' for Lance for a challenge! Meeting people all along the way, lugging a two ton bike case on planes, trains, buses, and taxis as he makes his way around the country. Enjoying immensely the cuisine and wine!

The "Dream Dashers" did not prevail and we look forward to many journeys together.

ENJOY YOUR TRAVELS! THERE'S A WHOLE WIDE WORLD OUT THERE.

• Gadget
    Gadget

Erm, I'm going backpacking to Toronto the day after tomorow, does that count? I'm not touring round as much as what I normally do, but am still stopping in all the backpacking hostels. I can't wait!!!!! I'm going to tour Northern France and the south coast of England in July on my motorbike enroute to Englishmans bbq in July too. In 99 I spent a few weeks backpacking around Romania, that was amazing. Visiting the orphanages and the childrens hospital(More like a hospice....) just ripped you in 2. I loved the whole country, and want to go back there sometime just need someone to go with because its not the sort of place its wise to go to on your own...........

• talesin
    talesin

Well, I can tell you about my frustrated international travel plans.

I always wanted to bum around the world, working at underground jobs to survive, enjoying the indigenous cultures of many lands. About 12 years ago, I made plans with a friend to leave. I was vigilantly saving my coin, making lists, getting advice on how to survive abroad. We were going to get to Europe by hook or by crook, then make our way East on an extended wander. The eventual goal was to end up in Australia via Asia.

One month before we were scheduled to leave, my friend landed his 'dream job' and cancelled out on me. He didn't feel he could give up the opportunity. So, being the wimp that I was, travelling alone seemed an impossible feat.

There ya have it.

Someday, I will fulfill this dream, even if I only make it to Oz!

BTW, I have a thread going re: hospitality which tells a short tale of some of my travels in the good ole US of A. You might enjoy reading it.

tal

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I've driven from the Northern US to the Southern US, and back, a number of times, but it was to reach a destination. I've always wanted to slowly meander across the continent, perhaps taking on work occasionally to pay my way and meet people. I'm not a skilled outdoorswoman, so maybe towing a small camper is a better idea than trying to pitch my own tent! It still amazes me that I've barely seen any of our neighbor, Canada; I need to remedy that.

Ahh, it would be so nice, just me, my truck, and the open road- you've got me thinking of ditching my apartment for a few months!

• dh
    dh

i recently spent a couple of months in south africa, but that was the first time i have really backpacked, it was fun and a really great experience, i think for hostels south africa is one of the best places in the world, i haven't ever been in hostels in other places, but some hostels i stayed in there are better than hotels i have stayed in in other countries!

anyway, it was an awesome place, beautiful scenery, lots of adventure, beautiful weather, nice friendly people, there are lots of poor people, but i didn't see anything extreme, and there's high crime but i never encountered that either.

anyway i stayed in the eastern cape for 3 weeks, then toured down the garden route to cape town and up the western coast and back down to cape town, staying in hostels and b & b's most of the way, driving a banged up volkswagon beetle, it was fun, hiked up table mountain, that was free, and all the game parks i went to cost peanuts, peanuts being like five pounds to get in. food is cheap there also. and in cape town the girls outnumber the guys 4 to 1, and it's a lot of fun when the weekend hits, in cape town almost every other girl out at the weekend is a model, it's mad. but there's tonnes more to it than that, the whole country is beautiful, people, places, rivers mountains, hills, wilderness, it has everything for everyone, and it's affordable... i will totally go back there.

statistics about cost of hostel pricing there... you can get a dorm room in a hostel usually for no more than five pounds per night... in cape town you might pay seven pounds, that's like 10 dollars, so it's not expensive, you can fly from cape town to jo burg for about 800 rand, and to durban for around the same, in cape town there are guys who hire vw beetles out on a monthly basis, for like 2000 rand a month (about 180 punds)... there's good public transport, which is good because something always goes wrong! like one beetle blew up halfway to cape town and had to get a greyhound the rest of the day, only half a days wait! and there's internet access everywhere, and phone network and cellular network as good as anywhere i've been, and the people speak english, which was great! for me i get sick of nobody speaking english, so that was a feature for me!

i can go on and on! if you wanna see some photos of scenery there pm me, i think it's a cool place, beautiful place, affordable, and if you can only afford one flight to one place, there and back, i think south africa has more to offer than most countries, more unforgettable things...
    blah blahblah.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Roll along October!! I'm off with my backpack to do 3 months of travelling or so, possibly Indonesia or Sri Lanka or similar though there is also an invitation to Brazil on the cards, handy knowing the daughter of a former cabinet member for the government there. After which I am planning still on coming over to the States. Buy myself an old banger of a vehicle, something big enough to sleep in, and driving from East coast to West coast in a somewhat zigzagging fashion, perhaps next time I write this post, in about the same time next year I can post pictures and have further tales to tell too. So far, I've only spent about 6 months travelling the Greek islands which were beautiful. Corfu, Paxos, Anti Paxos, Zante, the Pelloponese, Corinth, Athens, Delphi, Crete, Rhodes, Santorini and Naxos. I've also been to Spain hitch hiking around, starting from Madrid, then into the full bull fighting season to Toledo and Valencia and many small towns en route. Not much but enough to whet the appetite. Oh and Weston- Super-Mare up in deepest Somerset to see a madcap bunch of characters there, way, way, way up country.

Tally ho!!

Mark

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit