faith in god

by littlemike 16 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

An expression that totally ranckled my hide, when I first heard it, but which is beginning to make more sense:

"We are our own gods."

And, yes, I believe in a Prime Cause.

"In our image we will create them."

• dh
    dh
    After the trauma of leaving the "truth." For some of us many years how do any of you come to terms with faith in God or serving God or whatever you want to call it

i don't, i leave god alone mostly and he leaves me alone, sometimes i have a dig at him, and i think he does the same, it's a mutual understanding. the fact that i am alive, must eat, sleep, and have senses and must submit to gravity and all other phyical things are proof that i 'serve' the will of god.

(all of this is assuming there is a god... )

• logansrun
    logansrun

LT,

If you define the "divine" as consciousness, then you are correct; we are just rotting meat. Consciousness, self-awareness and all that that means is what makes us more than just meat.

Onacruse,

I'd be interested to know what you mean by "Prime Cause." Could you expound on that if you have the time? Is it a matter of faith?

Bradley

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Bradley:
    I think you know fine well what I mean, but I'll play ball...

Consciousness of what?
    Self, or that which lies beyond us, even beyond the senses?

If all we are is a watery bag of flesh and synapses (which will eventually die and rot), where is the awe in that?
    I struggle to see how you might define that as "divine".

Time for a beer - I'll shake one in your general direction, buddy

• logansrun
    logansrun

LT,

Do you find the Grand Canyon awe-inspiring? Mount Everest? Dolphins leaping and frolicking in the ocean? Trees? Birds? Stars and galaxy's? All non-spiritual entities, yet awe-inspiring, breathtaking.

Why should humans be any different?

Bradley

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I don't know about much else, right now, but this beer is divine
    LOL

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I'm still trying to figure it all out. I'm having a hard time with the concept of believing anything too soon, without really researching it first, so I'm coming up with nothing definite so far. I have more of an agnostic viewpoint, leaning hard toward atheistic skepticism, if that makes any sense.

I figure I've got a lot of time left to figure it all out. If my time comes too soon, and I must answer for it to the Christian god, then I hope he understands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit