faith in god

by littlemike 16 Replies latest jw friends

• littlemike
    littlemike

After the trauma of leaving the "truth." For some of us many years how do any of you come to terms with faith in God or serving God or whatever you want to call it

I still find this difficult as i really did think i was serving God, but now I know I only thought that because I was told it was the only way

• logansrun
    logansrun

If you get a chance, check out a book called "How We Believe" by Michael Shermer.

Bradley

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Little,

Welcome to JWD.

I wouldn't worry about some big "sky daddy" looking over your shoulder to kill if I don't beleive in him.

This bible god is a myth,,that has all the ear marks of a human invention so don't worry about him he can't hurt you,,or help you,,since he is just a myth.

Instead of looking to an imaginary god for help and discipline,,look to yourself for these,,you will be surprised how well you can do without these ffruitless props.

JWD will be of help to you,,there are many good poster here that can give directions and advice.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Some days you make me feel really good about the fact that you have something so positive to offer, and that you are so 100% sure of, Bradley

• logansrun
    logansrun

LT,

Now what was so atheistically miserable in my post that warrented the reply you gave?

Some days you make me feel really good about the fact that you have something so positive to offer, and that you are so 100% sure of, Bradley

The book I mentioned, although written by an agnostic, is simply about why people believe certain things (although it's mainly about belief in the supernatural). There are some positive things said about religion in there, I might have you know. Have you read it?

As for me, I'm not 100% sure of almost anything, especially when it comes to matters of religion. Yes, from a purely rational perspective it appears that there is no God and that this life we have is all there is. But that is not necessarily the only perspective one can take.

Even IF it is true that we live in a universe devoid of a spiritual dimension, that would not necessarily be a terrible thing. It's all a matter of how you look at it.

Bradley

• Carmel
    Carmel

Logan's not off the mark. Taking some time and space from the whole God/Not God thingy is healing. Your psyche has been damaged and it needs to forgive and forget. Focus on being what you want to become and in time you will feel much more equipped to address issues of theology and the like. You've got the rest of your life to come to terms with these issues and hurrying will only increase the chances that you will regret hasty moves.

Relax and enjoy being alive and free.

carmel

ps for what it's worth, I'll never believe in the god that the dubbies and most Christians describe

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Drop the doctrine, bigotry and religion, and what are you left with?

Something far more pure and "divine".

Drop the divine and you're left with 180lb, or so, of rotting meat...

LT's positive thought for the day...
    Just my humble opinion, of course...

• Sirona
    Sirona

LT

Drop the doctrine, bigotry and religion, and what are you left with?

Something far more pure and "divine".

Drop the divine and you're left with 180lb, or so, of rotting meat...

So it is. (except the 180Lb bit..LOL)

Thanks for that LT

Sirona

• FMZ
    FMZ

It also took me a long time to restore my faith in God. For a short time I even believed there was no God. Recently though, with the help of a friend, I have been learning more about the idea of God. And whether the God portrayed in the Bible is real or not, it all comes down to what he represents to humanity... which is a loving father.

Even if you don't believe in the Bible's God, still try to feel the love.

LT: Drop the divine and you're left with 180lb, or so, of rotting meat...

Interesting thought. That poor cow in my freezer must have lost all faith.

FMZ

• Sirona
    Sirona

FMZ

Even if you don't believe in the Bible's God, still try to feel the love.

What a lovely thought. I agree completely.

I don't believe in the bible's God, at least, I don't worship him. However, that doesn't mean I don't believe in the Divine. My Divine is God and Goddess both and my obligation is to contribute positively to everything / everyone around me. Difficult it is too! Basically, it comes down to love - showing love as much as you can to yourself and others.

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit