Anybody see ex-JW, now Catholic, on TV last night?

by willyloman 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I was amazed that he would convert to Catholicism..............my old boss at one time was going to go into the Priesthood and he described all the stuff they go through. Incredibly, you don't even read the bible, you use the Catholic Catacysm, learn all these prayer rituals, cross yourself a thousand times a day, etc. etc. I don't believe the Catholic Church is "the one true church" any more than I believe the Witnesses are. But each person has to find their own nitche. If the Catholic Church is what he feels is best for his faith, then power to him.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Just replacing one dysfunctional religion for another.

Will

• Sirona
    Sirona

what would you class as a "functional" religion?

Sirona

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    what would you class as a "functional" religion?

None

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

If we all learned one thing from our JW experience I would hope it is how much hurt can be caused by sitting in judgment on others. We've all been on the other side of that haven't we? Don't we all remember the oh-so-holy elders and their gossipy wives looking down their nose at the choice we made by leaving?

We're free now, we're not slaves to mind-think any longer. But I submit all of that pain that we all went through will be for naught if we then pass it along to someone else, just because we don't approve of their choice. If a man finds what he's looking for in the Catholic religion, or any religion for that matter, then I applaud his conviction. Just I would for someone else finding their answers in atheism, science, logic and reason.

If we treat another the way the Witnesses treated us, we really haven't left that cult have we? If we ridicule someone's beliefs just becase they don't match ours, we really haven't learned and we're doomed to live in that hellish mindset.

No, I'm free and I choose to accept others for who they really are, and not what my limited mind wants them to be. I choose to surround myself with friends whose beliefs, thoughts and politics do not exactly match my own. I submit I am receiving more than I give, for I can learn from many.

Peace,

Chris

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi All:

I take no offense at the critical comments about the Catholic Church. Lord knows that the Catholic Church has very serious problems these days.

I was attracted to the Church by what it officially teaches and by reading history. I realize that much of the history of the Catholic Church and Christianity in general is marred by the failures of the followers of Christ to live up to what Christ has taught us. I am afraid that all Christians fail in this regard to one degree or another myself included.

However, the Catholic Church and Christianity in general teach us that we will not be perfect on this side of heaven and that the Church is, or should be, a place that will help us to live the life of Christ more faithfully. One of the most powerful teachings of the Catholic Church and Christianity in general for me is the Mercy of God. As a JW I had this view of God as a major tyrant who was interested in using weak human beings to prove that He had the right to rule over us. As a Catholic, I realize that God is actually a loving Father who wants to teach us to be more like Him and that is to love others unconditionally.

If you are a Christian, and you believe Jesus is God, you believe in a God that knows exactly what it means to suffer and die. As a Christian, we are baptized into the life, the death, and ultimately the resurrection of Christ. In fact, according to Catholic teachings those who suffer in this life are part of what is known as "the apostolate of suffering". By their suffering they are actually considered more closely ordered to Christ Himself who suffered tremendous pain as a human being. That is why the Catholic Church and other Christian denominations spend so much time and money assisting those in need. Jesus really meant it when He said that when we assist those in need we are really assisting Him. It is also why many Catholics will ask people who are suffering to pray for them. It is because the Catholic Church teaches that when we are suffering we are more closely ordered to Jesus than at any other time. St. Francis of Assisi said that when we suffer in this life it is Jesus lifting us up to His cross to give us a kiss.

As far as my wife is concerned, she also entered the Church. What my wife says is that when she learned of God's Divine Mercy from the writings of a Catholic nun by the name of Sister Faustina, it moved her so much that she decided to become Catholic. In any case, that is her short story.

Thanks again for all of the comments both pro and con. I hope everyone is doing well.

Jeff S.

• Valis
    Valis

Hiya Jeff...I was wondering when you were going to pop in. You know I am far from being what you might call religious, contrary to some of my friends, *LOL* but I think it is great you found something that satisfies your need for a spiritual life. Especially one you and the wife can share and help each other with. Nice to see you and hope you are well.

Sirona & LT...good on ya friends!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• willyloman
    willyloman
    If a man finds what he's looking for in the Catholic religion, or any religion for that matter, then I applaud his conviction. Just I would for someone else finding their answers in atheism, science, logic and reason.

The words of a truly spiritual man.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Good job, Jeff. I appreciated your knowledgeable answers to questions about the JW religion.

I may have to take a look at the Catholic religion. I know that their schools turn out some sharp folks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit