Anybody see ex-JW, now Catholic, on TV last night?

by willyloman 18 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

Jeff Schwehm, an ex-JW who sometimes posts here, was on EWTN, the Catholic network, last night. He posted an announcement on this forum several days ago.

Did anyone see it? What did you think?

I thought he came across as a very nice man, sincere and full of conviction. When it was over, I wanted to congratulate him on his spiritual journey out of the WTS. I am a bit skeptical about his choice of the Catholic church, but that's my bias.

He was apparently a Witness from age 6 to about 20. He went to Bethel at 19 and stayed one year. After he got home, he got married, moved to another state, and started going to college, leaving "the truth" in the process." So, except for the side trip to Bethel, he was the typical JW youth who grew up and out.

He was interviewed on a talk program called "The Journey Home" by a host who didn't know how to pronounce the name of the JW religion, which was disconcerting. He fielded questions from callers and from email, a couple of which were from ex-dubs, the rest from people confused about JW beliefs.

EWTN has a web site where you can see it if you missed the broadcast. Here's the link:

http://www.ewtn.com/journeyhome/index.htm

• Undecided
    Undecided

When you look at the history of the Catholic Church I don't see how anyone could believe it to be the truth from God. Of course I don't see any religion that could rightfully claim this.

Ken P.

• minimus
    minimus

That's like [edit], imo.

• stichione
    stichione

Undecided, I have a comment for you. After having carefully studied all WTS doctrine and how it compares to the Bible, I can honestly say that the Jehovah's Witnesses religion is NOT any better than any of the other religions, and the leadership of the Society will have to answer to God for many of their doings. This also means that any other christian religion is acceptable. Yes, including the Roman Catholic Church. What is important is the kind of Christian you are and how you as a person follow the teachings and example of Jesus Christ and how you apply this in your day-to-day life.

• willyloman
    willyloman

What came across to me was that he was the studious type, and researched thoroughly. He had gone back and read the earliest Christian writings, supposedly penned by those who learned from the original apostles. He said he was struck by how those writers viewed the recently deceased Jesus Christ and how different their view of "true Christianity" was from the teachings of the JWs.

Later, he determined somehow that these early writers were all members of the original "Catholic" church and so he decided that's where he needed to be.

I was hoping someone on this forum knew him, or something about him. I'm curious, for example, how his wife's own personal spiritual journey is going; he didn't say much about her during the interview. As someone on his own journey and in mid-fade from the WTS, I'm always interested in how other people have done it.

• Undecided
    Undecided

What I don't understand about Jesus and his sacrifice is that the price for sin was paid 2000 years ago and nothing has changed. We still get sick and die because of Adams sin. What good did the sacrifice do? If the results don't show up until we die, we have then paid the price of sin by death ourselves.

Also, if we don't die when we die, but pass on to some other world, why did Christ have to be resurrected if he was still alive in the spirit world? None of the Christain doctrine makes any real sense to me anymore.

Ken P.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I saw it, and I called into the show. He did a great job and I admire him for discussing his ideas. He was very sincere, objective and knowlegeable. He encouraged people to question, and to pray from the heart. A very good program!

• jwsons
  • Sirona
    Sirona

Minimus

That's like a dog going back to his vomit, imo.

You are entitled to you opinion, yet I must comment on this. Firstly you are using a biblical term which was twisted by the JWs. They use it to put everyone else down who isn't JW by saying their like dogs eating vomit. Nice eh? So now you use it regarding a man who chose to be catholic? In my opinion that is well out of order. It also shows something about you as a person. You know, maybe some people know the history of the church but choose to go to it for other reasons. How about the fact that the catholics do a lot of charitable works? How about the fact that they have more spirituality in them than the JWs? (I'm talking about devout catholics, not the ones who just say they're catholic due to birth or whatever). The catholics have beautiful services (mass?) and show great reverence to their God. All religions are guilty of wrongdoing. I just don't think we should be judging each other and calling names based on our religious preferences. IMO that is just the same as racism. Sirona

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I have to agree with Sirona.
    If you're looking for a "right" religion, you'll not find one. Not even one!!!
    Peter's comments on dogs and vomit refered to those who had been enlightened and turned back from it to the world.

Spiritualliy transcends such human constructs, IMHO.

I'll look at that site later. It sounds interesting. Thanks for drawing it to our attention.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit