Now That's HOSPITALITY! - story from a road trip

by talesin 17 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

This is just one of many stories of a particular adventure I had, and one that I have thought of many times over the years. I?ve been on a lot of road trips, mostly in the US. I have always come across friendly folk, and this is a particularly heart-warming experience that I wanted to share with y?all tonight.

My ex-husband and were travelling to Jupiter, FL from New Brunswick. We were driving an old ?66 Mercedes down I-95 that belonged to our new employers. The trip was supposed to last a week. We were on our way to start a new life in the Bahamas, via West Palm Beach.

The car had been overheating. We had been driving non-stop from the New Brunswick border, taking turns at the wheel. So we took a break just before NYC, in Stamford CT, and had the rad checked. It was leaking. As it was not our car, and we didn?t have a lot of cash, we decided to try to make it to FL without paying for costly repairs. We filled a bunch of large pop bottles with water, and steeled ourselves to drive through NYC, praying to the Goddess we would not break down in the tunnel! We left Stamford in the early evening, hoping that traffic would not be too heavy.

As luck would have it, we barely made it! Just before we got to the rest stop entering New Jersey, on the other side of NYC, steam started coming out of the hood. So we pulled into the rest stop, had a meal, and settled down to sleep in the car, and figure out what we were going to do the next morning.

We decided to find a radiator/transmission shop ASAP. This was on a Monday. The first place we came to in the morning was Robbinsville, NJ. Pulling into the rad shop, I remember feeling very discouraged and wondering what the heck was gonna take place, how much was this gonna cost. Well, the shop was owned and operated by a lovely woman named ?Terry? and her husband. He worked on the car all afternoon, but couldn?t figure what might be wrong. He replaced the temperature guage and flushed the rad, then took it for a test drive. Still not fixed.

We had to stay the night. Terry recommended a cheap, but clean motel down the road, as she knew we didn?t have a lot of money. To make a long story short, we were there for the whole week. Mr. Terri (can?t remember his name) spent several days trying to get us fixed up, working most of the time on our vehicle and only completing other jobs that were urgent. Finally, he recored the rad, and put some sealant in it (we couldn?t wait to order the parts, nor could we afford them!), and told us that should hold us till we got to FL; just keep water on hand to top it up, and don?t push it too hard.

That was on Friday afternoon. We decided it was best to get back on the road, and drive all night, since we had lost a lot of time. It was time to pay the bill! I was secretly dreading the cost. Terry told us that all they would charge us for was the cost of the new temp guage. They would not listen to any arguments on this, there was no way they were charging us for any labour!!! So, I paid the bill, gave her a big hug, and when I hugged Mr. Terry, I slipped a $50 into his breast pocket and told him to take Terry out to dinner on us.

We went to the diner across the street (which looked exactly like the one in the movie Diner) to have a meal before we started back on the road. As we were eating our supper, one of the workers from the garage came over to get coffee. We said goodbye to her, and told her how much we had enjoyed meeting them all, and how their kindness meant so much to us.

NOW HERE?S THE KICKER!!!

When we went to pay the bill, the diner?s owner said, "It was taken care of by Mr. & Mrs. Terry across the street". They had taken our little gift, and bought our dinner with it!!!

THAT?S WHAT I CALL HOSPITALITY!

All in all, we spent about 6 weeks on the road (yeah, the story gets a little twisted after we arrived in Florida; the new boss turned out to be a drug dealer, and we ended up stranded in Jupiter, dropped at the greyhound station ? but I digress, I?ll shut up for now and save it for another time ? suffice it to say, southern hospitality was the next we experienced).

There really are a lot of good folks. Does anyone else have a good road trip story?

talesin

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Wow !! Great story tale !!!! Thanks for sharing it !!!

• talesin
    talesin

Glad you enjoyed it XW, it's a bit long but, I dunno, I just felt like sharing something good!

t

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

not long at all hon. I enjoyed it. Made me think of so many road trips. I love them. Get the map, some drinks, the camera and some people and head in one direction for the day and see what happens. Thanks for bringing back some good memories for me.

I'll tell you a funny one that I thought of. It's not mine- it's one of my best friend's stories but we tease her about it all the time.

There were 4 of them in a van traveling south to pick up her sister. So they are sleeping in the van etc. So they are all tired and really need to sleep or go off the road and my girlfriend says- Hey, I saw a sign back there for "Cattlepens", let's pull off there. So they see the sign for it and get off the highway. Well, as it turns out "Cattlepens" was just that-a big piece of land meant to keep someone's cattle in.

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Talesin,

You left out the part of the story where you found out Mr. and Mrs. Terri were really Brother and Sister Terri . . . because of course - only JWs are capable of showing true love and hospitality. Certainly this didn't come from anyone in the world, right?

Great story, thanks for sharing!

CF

• talesin
    talesin

lol XW, not too pleasant a surprise! We have some strange place names here, too, how about Come-by-Chance, or Dildo? heheh

CF

Nice to meet you! I'm glad you enjoyed my little tale. Yeah, I've learned the fallacy of that particular party line over the last 25 years, that's for sure. There's so many good folks out here in the real world.

tal

• exjdub
    exjdub

Great story talesin...Now you have to tell the rest of the adventure, especially the part with the drug dealer boss. Road stories are awesome!

• talesin
    talesin

exjdub

I'm glad you liked it! Will provide another instalment at a later date, heheh. There's lots of tales to tell. Yeah, I love road trips, too!!

So, do you have one for us?

tal

• exjdub
    exjdub

Tal,

All of my road trips have been pretty tame...maybe that's why I like good ones. I can live the stories through others. Please give us some more!

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

That is Wonderful Tale!!! you dont hear about that sort of thing anymore

One time, when I had just moved out and was dirt poor, my truck was low on gas on the freeway. My friend and I scraped together all of our change and had enough to buy just a little over a gallon, which was just enough to get us home. When i went out to the gas pump the gas just kept going and going. I went in to ask the attendant about it and he said that the guy behind me in line had paid to fill up my truck. It was the nicest thing. He took off before I had a chance to thank him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit