Stumbling

by larc 20 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Stumbling is a term I never understood. Let's suppose I robbed a bank and a Witness was a witness to my crime. Would they decide to the same thing? The concept of stumbling makes no sense to me.

• myself
    myself

You would only be guilty of stumbling them if you deliberately stuck your foot out and tripped them as they made their escape from the bank robbery.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Makes no sense to me either larc. The supposedly scriptural basis for it is impractical - you can't worry about the consciences of the weak, weaker, or weakest among us at any given time.

And since as Jehovah's Witnesses we were always encouraged to "train" our consciences but at the same time never allowed to "follow" our own consciences without consequences, none of it makes any sense.

And now that we know that the "strong" ones in the congregations are in many ways actually "weak," the whole arrangement is skewed.

Messed up!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Hey larc, good to see ya buddy!

The whole stumble thing is just another WT control mechanism, to keep the r&f in line so that potential converts are led to believe (as I so foolishly did) that JW's are truly different from "worldly people".

• Elsewhere
  • got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

It is funny that such a simple word can describe what perhaps has happened to thousands of people who where a part of the Joe Wit org. Many thousands of lives altered, changed, depressed, family's broken up because of what the Society says is "stumbling".

Stumbling is no big deal, the big picture is that we worship Jehovah and should not let people in is earthly organization stumble us, yet we cannot worship Jehovah without his earthly organization.

HUH?

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS tries to have it both ways.

First, that individual Christians can make a personal choice.

But

Then they have to make sure no one is stumbled.

How do they do that? Conduct an individual by individual survey of everyone in the congregation or in the circuit that might find out?

w03 8/15 p. 30 Do You Remember?

Does

the burning of incense have a place in true worship today?

The use of incense was part of true worship in ancient Israel. (Exodus 30:37, 38; Leviticus 16:12, 13) But the Law covenant, including the use of incense, ended with Christ?s death. Christians can decide for themselves whether to use incense for nonreligious purposes, but it is not a part of true worship today. The feelings of others should also be considered so as to avoid stumbling them.?6/1, pages 28-30.

w03 12/1 p. 22 Do You Always Need a Bible Command?

An exemplary Christian will not be overly concerned with his own preferences or supposed rights but, rather, with not becoming a source of distraction or a stumbling block to others

And who makes that determination whether it is a source of distraction or a stumbling block to others? The individual or the elders or the individual stumbled. Based on the WTS doctrine, the potential stumblee controls the situation.

Blondie

• boa
    boa

apparently, the 'weak' can be stumbled by pretty much anyone...especially if its the prominent or 'strong' ones doing something 'stumbling'....yet the 'weak' should know better and not allow themselves to be stumbled!

its circular and I agree with those who said it is a control mechanism which is why I plan to use it against THEM if I am questioned on my 'fade' - standard reply will be - 'I've been terribly stumbled however, it wouldn't be right for me to discuss it with you.' Short and sweet.

In a sense its true....I've been stumbled from this organization by the men at the top and all they have built up once I got to know the REAL truth!

boa

• Maverick
    Maverick

Dan has hit it. The WTS use this tool to keep the RF in line. But if you think about it this concept works against the WTS in the end. People are more careful about not letting other see what they are up to. Stumbling teaches the JW's be two faced and put on the good face to each other. Maverick

• pudd
    pudd

When I went to the memorial this year a "brother" got up and walked out. Apparently his attitude was that as I had made my decision to leave then I had no right to be at the Kingdom Hall.

The next time I am asked to go to a meeting you can be sure I will use this idea of stumbling to my advantage. I will make sure they know I was well and truly "stumbled"!

In reality as much as it upset me at the time, I just think he is a pathetic self rightous individual and if I did think it was the truth I wouldn't let him or anybody eles stand in my way. So I agree that it is a ridiculas notion!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit