This bothers me

by Soledad 25 Replies latest social current

• undercover
    undercover
    LOL Are you being goofy on purpose? Do you not know the history or are you not reading all of these posts? The contributions that people have made, other than the "Top 40" of the great American forefathers, are not in your face everyday. If we're not reminded, we will forget.

Some folks would rather forget and then stay isolated with others who resemble themselves. Is that you? I know too many people of colour who live like that and when we isolate ourselves like this we tend to get that us and them mentality. It's not right no matter who you are IMHO...

I'm not trying to cause trouble here but it seems a lot of non-blacks [you like that?] need to look at the history beyond what school or the media tells you.

I personally look at myself as being colourless but there's always someone down here in the South that will remind me of the legacy of the past. It's on me to look beyond the black and white division and make a difference. I'm hoping eventually we all will get beyond stuff...

I didn't mention race or color so don't play the race card on me. I was talking about the naming of streets. If it was Orville Wright or Ludwig Von Beethoven I'd feel the same. Don't name streets for people that didn't have any connections to your city. That's my personal opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree with it and that's fine. But by God don't preach to me about race and color when I wasn't even talking about that.

I'm hoping to get beyond all that stuff myself. One way to do so is to treat everyone equally. If I don't think we should name streets for people with no connections to my city, that includes people of other colors and naionalities. I won't change that stance because a possible reciepient of a street name may be black.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Some folks would rather forget and then stay isolated with others who resemble themselves. Is that you?

What is this now, a Watchtower Study??

I''m not trying to cause trouble here but it seems a lot of non-blacks [you like that?] need to look at the history beyond what school or the media tells you.

Oh, right. All "non-blacks" apparently have short term memories. Frankly, I'm starting to resent your implications here. Yes, yes, yes. We DO remember our history and our legacy.

But what in God's name does that have to do with changing a street name? You don't see to be hearing what people are saying. My street happens to be the name of an African country. Does that make me remember with fondness that country? Does that make me 'remember its history, its stuggles for freedom? Do I think about it every day? I'd squawk to no end if someone with a political agenda suddenly insisted the name be changed from an African country to Abraham Lincoln Street. You'd see me picketing too. I'm sure people would claim I'm anti-American for it. And I wouldn't care.

• gespro
    gespro

The first post I made pretty much states what your saying: It's highly inconvienient...okay, a pain in the a$$ to lose your street address for something that 'doesn't have anything to do with you ' to put it bluntly. I do know that most Southern states have a lot of racial strife. The North seemed worse to me because it's more covert.

Okay I'll come clean and stop being a jerk.

Cassi: And those screaming he will be are trying to skew the matter at hand. I think racism is bellowed at times just to assure that people will be heard even though none exists at times.

I agree that it's been misused many times.

Oh, right. All "non-blacks" apparently have short term memories. Frankly, I'm starting to resent your implications here. Yes, yes, yes. We DO remember our history and our legacy

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to imply anything negative towards you. I don't know what you know about being black in the States but I can say that people respond to the trauma of slavery in different ways. It might seem like every black person has a chip on the shoulder. Yeah I'm oversensitive about anything to do with race relations.

I do want to see what page we're all on...

With that being said, I re-read the article and at face value, the innocent are innocent and I feel bad for that whole situation getting blown out of proportion. The introduction of the white supremacist into the mix really mucked things up!

I'm here trying to separate my day to day reality being who I am and what Borg promised us as far as living in harmony with others.

I'm sorry about the name calling...

Wanna go out for some pizza...or chittlins or something?

• Soledad
    Soledad

mmmmmm chicken wings and hot sauce!!!

(how pathetic, I'm hijacking my own thread and probably killing it too!! )

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Any time--you name the place

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I'm here trying to separate my day to day reality being who I am and what Borg promised us as far as living in harmony with others.

Gespro, I missed this on the first read. One of the only positive things I have to say about the born is that I really was raised not to see color: I had and have so many close, close African American friends in the borg, and after. Only later, did I learn that the "color blindness" was only because the people were JWs. If they weren't, then the same old prejudices often apply. When I was old enough to understand my mother's REAL views about African Americans and Jews who weren't JWs, did I really understand what prejudices she was hiding. Since the prejudice wasn't instilled in me early on,

I'm sorry if I was insensitive to your experiences. Guess to be free, we have to take the bad with the good. I've had to fight battles over sexism--which of course, as a woman being in wifely subjection under the loving guidance of my husband and the elders, was in my proper role. Wait on Jehovah to make you truly happy--the world has corrupted the true role of women..

The real world is MUCH better, in spite of the battle.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit