Reason for going to Bethel

by pratt1 19 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

Oh, did I mention I too thought of going to Bethel. Hehe...

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Being a Bethelite means you volunteered to work at Bethel. Nothing more, nothing less. You can still completely suck ass at being a human being.

This pretty much puts it in perspective.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

Ex Dub MS

You are hilarious

• Bulldog
    Bulldog

Well we never made it to New York cause we were in the Canada bethel, and didn't have time or enough vacation days or money to visit the New York side of the borg.

Why did we apply to the Canada Bethel--cause we were told to, and it seemed that since we applied and were accepted in six weeks, that Jehovah must have been directing us to go.

We were having trouble as regular pioneers finding part time work that paid well, and were having financial trouble, and so sought out the advice of our CO who said " Don't quit--apply to Bethel, wait on Jehovah and he will provide!" Six weeks later comes a call from the young single brother who did these calls, and we, being completely igorent of the way Bethel was since we had never even seen one before, asked him what to bring. He said just the clothes you need, get rid of everything else ( Thanks a lot Kam!) so we stupidly did.

Little did we realize that everyone brings all kinds of furniture, china, microwaves etc,.. so we had to buy all that stuff again, and used some of Bethels stuff too.

Also we didn't know that my husbands trade was the primary reason we were called in such a hurry not our glowing spiritual reference or history. They were needing desperately the trade he was in and I think would take anyone in this trade who was not inactive.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

My Dad used to sit at the dining room table and admonish my sisters not to bother with any man unless they were Bethelites. "Why get a bologna sandwich when you can get steak instead?" He would say.

Oh right. "Steak" equals a man who makes $20 a month, lives in the equivalent of a dorm; is basically a slave to the borg by offering them hard work for board & feed. And if you marry him and they let you stay, YOU'LL be doing household chores for others making pennies....yeah, that's "steak" alright.

I had the "opportunity" of visiting a couple who were related to someone in our congretation while I was back in NY. Nice people. But I remember thinking (even then) "how can they live like this?"

They were really a cute, bubbly couple. (Later they divorced, and both left the JWs).

• shotgun
    shotgun

Ex dub ms

Your dad gave new meaning to where's the beef.....bethel apparently

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I went to Bethel because I was very young (19) and I thought at the time I wanted to go and maybe go on to Gilead. But also it was something my Parents, especially my Father wanted me to do.

I'm glad I did my year, because it opened my eyes and I knew that nothing dealing with the Org was for me. After it was all over I maybe realize that I was brainwashed by my parents, the org, but then my eyes were opened.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    Being a Bethelite means you volunteered to work at Bethel. Nothing more, nothing less. You can still completely suck ass at being a human being.

well said

and btw

WELCOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I was 22. Had been a special pioneer for three years and was beginning to enjoy it. MS with elder responsibilities in a small cong. Nice people, nice friends.

At the conventions we heard talks about Bethel. I wasn't attracted to it at all. Hated community life (I had several experiences of it in my youth, one when my father and stepmother tried to make a "little Bethel" with several pioneers working part-time in their large house, and this ended pretty badly).

But there was this kind of weird, twisted, perverted "faith" of mine: what I disliked most was naturally what "Jehovah" wanted me to do... (call it Abraham's god/demon syndrome if you like). So I "prayerfully" applied, leaving the matter into His hands... and was called.

I did regret my pioneer service a lot in the first few months, but in time it turned out to be an interesting experience which led me directly out of the org (this I already told earlier).

(Randy, I didn't forget your request... Have to gather a few posts and complete the story one of these days.)

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

hmm i was from a small sexually repressive town with no prada, dolce gabanna, and Hermes stores

so you tell me!

it was that or move to a place full of muscular sexually charged boyz-ooooogaaaaah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit