convention time is here... i can smell it in the air

by in a new york bethel minute 19 Replies latest social humour

• Atilla
    Atilla
    but basically the point was that convention time is the best way for the WTBTS to advertise its product.

Yes, it probably is because of the concentration of so many JW's but it seems as if the WT bungles their opportunity. You may have 20 thousand dubs in Philly but they all stick to themselves for the most part. They have to get up early, get some free hotel breakfast food, maybe an extra bagel for lunch as well, shuffle to the convention, lot leave the stadium during lunch, and then back to the hotel maybe with a stop off for something to eat maybe. The process seems so isolating. To me it's like taking a field trip yet not seeing anything. Here they have the power of some mostly 20 thousand good willed people, yet the WT throws it away because they are afraid if you interact with the community, bad things might happen.

• Ciara
    Ciara

The biggest thing that I hated about the conventions was that I got roped into working at every single one just because I was a P.O.'s daughter. I remember back when we had lunch booths at the conventions. I used to get stuck in the kitchen in the hoagie assembly line for hours on end.(Of course they stopped serving food because it was more convenient for the "delegates"-HAHA) The last convention I was at I slept through the entire thing except for the drama and even those aren't interesting anymore.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

When I read this topic I remembered how much I truly loved the district conventions. It was a time to get away from home, the parents tried to act somewhat normal durning the summer convention.

It is really sad to think that a 16 yr old girl, looked so forward to taking notes, and the highlight of the day would be if a young brother looked your way. I remember how just a smile from a guy would be the most exciting thing all the young girls could ever hope for. We spent so much time getting our clothes, hair, makefup just right. Not all of it was for boys,,,it was like a big fashion show for the most part. You know at that age it is just normal ,no matter how strict your parents were, or if you were not of " marrying age",,,,, we still all tried to be as normal as we could possibly be , yet still trying to remain "seperate " form the world.

I guess I was thankful as a JW kid to have the district conventions to have even the little bit of freedom I had, which was none at all at home. I could walk around with my friends , go out to eat with them, and meet other young people at the pool. I always hated to have to go home.

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

I usually take the district conventions as hel on earth but I might take it differently this time. Learning that the truth isn't the truth has gave me a boost of confidence. So I'm going to be asking quite a few sisters if I can carry their heavy books, a tip from a JW kid on how to pick up chicks at the assembly and the district convention. I'm going to spit major skills this year.

• Fleur
    Fleur

i loved them when i was a good little dub.

the other day i happened to see a shot of the inside of our local convention venue on the news. it literally made me shudder, and gave me goosebumps. just seeing it. and did i mention that i can't go anywhere near a dome physically for any reason without having panic attacks now? sadly i am not kidding.

ugh.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

So I'm going to be asking quite a few sisters if I can carry their heavy books, a tip from a JW kid on how to pick up chicks at the assembly and the district convention. I'm going to spit major skills this year.

Here, this might help you a bit:

(From: The Seduction Library)

What do you do when Jesus is her man? Not to worry! As the players of ASF will tell you, bible chicks are among the easiest to seduce, because they have repressed their sexual desires in the name of religion, and are often craving an outlet, but torn between their commitment to their religion and their desire to fulfill their desires. Even if they are in relationships (which are often nonsexual even if they are dating ), the player who taps into their hidden sexuality often hits the jackpot.

The Bible serves as an excellent barrier to the nice guy, who respects her commitment to her religion and doesn't want to aid and abet her sinning. The player sees the bible-chick for the secret slut she is, however, and between the lack of competition and her secret desires for sexual fulfillment, often finds she is child's play to seduce.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I've actually almost forgotten them, since it's a long time ago now. There are two things I remember. My mother didn't want to spend the day traipsing back and forth to the bathroom so she would only let us eat oranges, not drink anything, and in Pasadena in summertime it is really hot and dry, it was just miserable. The other thing was a little boy in the bathroom, crouched on the floor sobbing while his mom waled on him with a leather belt. She just didn't stop. Everybody in the bathroom looked uncomfortable but they didn't say a thing, spare the rod and spoil the child, right? Besides, jdubs do NOT call social services on each other. So, to sum up, what's left of my memory of assemblies is not pleasant.

• micheal
    micheal

Don't forget to ask your employer off work for the Friday of the District Convention. You may miss that riveting experience of the young lad who got baptized at age 8 ( long applause ) then pioneered from grade 5 to grade 12 ( long applause ) then went to pioneer school at age 11 ( long applause ) and is now living at home with mom and dad at age 33 while receiving a weekly allowance for mowing the lawn and taking out the garbage so he can donate to the worldwide work ( long applause )

Yes, now we all know why it is so vital risking your job to go to Friday of the district convention. You just never know what you may miss.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    is now living at home with mom and dad at age 33 while receiving a weekly allowance for mowing the lawn and taking out the garbage so he can donate to the worldwide work

And by the time he hits 65 years of age and still no armageddon he'll wonder why the government's persecuting him by not giving him Canada Pension payments. He'll forget that he paid nothing into it because he never had a real job.

Walter

• Ciara
    Ciara
    bible chicks are among the easiest to seduce, because they have repressed their sexual desires in the name of religion

So that's why I fell off the bandwagon????Way Too Happy

Ohh, the shame....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit