"You're insane."

by Markfromcali 13 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

This quote is taken from the movie Fight Club, spoken by Edward Norton's character "Jack." Tyler, who is Jack's imaginary friend, responds by saying: "No, I think you'll find that you're insane."

The reason Tyler says this is the fact that Jack is the one who is imagining Tyler into existence, and taking him as real. I was thinking of this today, as the whole JW experience can be described as insanity. It is like believing in the JW identity as real, when the real you is the one that is responsible for the delusion.

However, at the same time I would have to note that because it is essentially an unconscious process, the whole matter of self deceit is from a point of view that is quite innocent. Ultimately nobody goes into self deception knowing that's what they're doing, although certain Stuart Smalley-esque positive affirmations comes to mind, but even then there's a certain degree of unconsciousness. So the question is, are we going to look and see what we're doing, the insanity of lying to ourselves? In the beginning one may be mislead, but as we know that way of thinking takes on a life of it's own and becomes self-perpetuating years later, even if it changes form into something we no longer recognize as self deception. Isn't it time to wake up?

-------
    "I want to live a real life. I don't want to dream any longer." -Vanilla Sky

• Corvin
    Corvin

Ah yes, the metaphor . . . and you used one of my favorite movies, Fight Club, to make yours. The perception of truth is the detection of an analogy.

"The metaphor is perhaps one of man's most fruitful potentialities. Its efficacy verges on magic, and it seems a tool for creation which God forgot inside of one of His creatures when He made him."

-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Being in the organization is like waiting at the bus stop for too long and you?re holding last year?s bus schedule. Then you say, "Crap! It?s obviously not coming when the schedule says", so you do the prudent thing; you start walking.

Corvin

• mrbarthoss
    mrbarthoss

now, THAT is a metaphor!!!!!!

• Fed Up
    Fed Up

OK Mark, but I have to ask. Why are you a Spoonmonkey from rathergood.com?

• Odrade
    Odrade

I thought those were spongemonkeys...

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I just saw these two replies. I just thought it would be a cool avatar - and if nothing else a lot of people probably know them from that Quizno's commercials where they were singing "We love the subs!" Somehow it just seems appropriate with all the ridiculous stuff that pop culture is coming up with these days - anything from reality shows and Arnold Schwartznegger as governor of California.. Which reminds me, I need to catch up on my current events by watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Awww! put it back! I lmao when I saw your avatar. Now I'm sad...

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Okay just for you O, a live-sized version:

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Mark are you on acid?

good gawd........I remember being a good little dubbie girls and having these imaginary convos with myself and gawd who I know now doesn't exist and I would always wonder if he really knew me I mean really knew ME....you know the one who would pick her nose thinking no one saw.....the one who would tell that little lie.......steal that little thing......think a really mean and evil thought.....hell want to have hot sex with the box boy at the super market or worst yet the hunk of a guy saying his wedding vows at that crumby JW wedding.........*gawd seeing him without his shirt on at the car wash made me soooooo freaking hot, and I was 32, with 5 kids, whew*

gawd damit then I woke up! Life can sometimes suck ya know..............here it is 20+ years later and who the hell cares. I'm ok, you're ok...........who the hell cares! Life goes on and we live it the best we can, we cut out all the crap and just freakin live, who the hell cares!

Ya know when we die the worms will eat me just like they will eat anyone of you.............hahaha I'm opting for creamation, [edit] those damn worms!

Kate

• Mulan
    Mulan

Kate..................what???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit