Old Family Photo's - Where We Come From

by dh 14 Replies latest jw friends

• dh
    dh

I was going through some photo's today and I came across this one, the scene is Poland, World War II, it is my grandma getting married to my grandfather who was killed shortly afterward.

I often look at old pictures to get a perspective of who I am and where I come from, my life exists because of wars, and it is because of those wars that I have so few blood relations, and those I did have I never knew, like i never knew my father, he never knew his father, my mother never knew her father and the only person who knows anything at all is my grandma, because grandmas know everything. no uncles, no aunts, stepfathers going back generations... Sometimes I just look at photos and wonder.

I can see in the faces that I share the same blood as these people, I just sometimes wish I knew them.

anyone else got any old photo's the feel like sharing?

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I can't help it, I have to comment how beautiful your sentiments are and how much I love this photo.

I have a number of old photos, but don't have a scanner.

For me, the only one who ever tells us anything about our family's past is my 96 year old aunt. But from her I only hear about my father's side of the family.

My mother's is kind of a mystery. My mom was always so mum. She told us a few little items, but when questioned, she would say, there's nothing you would want to hear. And when asked why we didn't find out till we were adults that we had a cousin of hers very nearby, she said something like "he's not worth meeting."

We were acquainted with her sister and her sister's kids, but that's about it. I didn't even meet father's sister till I was about 13 and didn't know her till I was 22. So much for family, huh?

But it's all right I expect.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Uncle Jim was interesting. He was more interested in birds than family gatherings. My relatives all but wrote him off when he married "that Greek woman".

• Purza
    Purza

Thanks for sharing your family photo -- I love seeing old photos like this. I have some of my grandparents, but I am a bit paranoid about posting them. The bride and groom in this photo look very young. Any idea how old they are in this picture?

Purza

• Mulan
    Mulan

This is my grandmother's family. She is the little girl in the middle, 4th person from the left. Her mother is on the far right and her father, far left. All the rest are her brothers, sisters, aunt and cousin. They all moved to Seattle in the late 1800's from Chautauqua county New York. My great grandfather went to the Yukon shortly after this was taken, searching for gold. He never found his fortune, and committed suicide in 1906. The second photo is grandma when she was 16. I look a lot like her, and so does Princess.

akers1895.jpg (45380 bytes)mattie.gif (450534 bytes)

• codeblue
    codeblue

DH: Thanks for sharing your family photo!!! Unfortunately, I can't share mine cause I am "fading"...lol

I kinda share something in common with you. When you talked about family history...mine is very similar.

My mother died when I was 14, her mother died when she was 14...kinda weird???

I never knew my mother's grandparents. My Dad died when I was 28....I only have sisters left and my children.

Such a small family I have and hardly any contact with them....NOdenial finally met my sisters...they pulled out additional pics of my Mom and Dad...he said I looked like neither...(he is right)...kinda wondering who I look like, since I don't have many grandparent's or any great grandparents pics.

Because I never really knew my Dad's Mom all that well or my step grandmom......I am writing a legacy of my life for my sons...that is encasing all my heritage, names etc...

Codeblue

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

Isnt it nice to see where we came from, Thanks for sharing the photos

• Sassy
    Sassy

Awesome pictures. I do have some but for some reason can't seem to locate them tonight. Maybe I have them on my pc at work. I'll check tomorrow.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Nice thread topic dh.

This is a photo of my great grandmother Ann after her confirmation (Lutheran)

I don't remember all the details, but this was close to around 1910, she was 14 (??). She died the spring of 1996 which put her at 101 and a few monthes. Huge family. HUGE. She was first or second of fourteen children. Most I have never met. Mainly in parts of Wisconsin; Rhinelander and Pelican Lake. Her full name was Anna Maria Magdalene Buckholtz Müller, during WW I, the entire family changed the name to Miller. This photo is all I have of her.

• Mulan
    Mulan

This is one of my favorite old photos. It is my mother and her sisters and brother, taken in 1917. Mom is the little girl in the middle. The second one is my mother's grandmother, born in 1874.

riley2.jpg (15672 bytes)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit