Please becareful when mowing your lawn

by kls 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Special K
    Special K

I'm such a clucking mother.

Two of my sons 17 and 15 mow with the ride on and the push mower (2 acres of mowing)but......I still...won't let them mow the side hill. Their Dad has to do that. I'm scared the ride on will tip over on them and I'm scared their feet will slip under the push mower.

sincerely

Truly a mother.

• maxwell
    maxwell

Those are some sad mower accidents. I don't see how any adult could intentionally put their hands near a moving mower blade. I started using a push mower when I was 9, had a riding mower for a short time later, and I used a tractor with a bushhog regularly after I was 12 and never had any mishaps. A couple of things we (my dad and I) did to be extra careful: Walk the area to be cut before running the mower to see if there's any trash or big rocks there and remove them if you find them. As one poster pointed out, those things can become projectiles, and they can also damage your mower. You might not see or find every potential projectile, but it might reduce the risk. If for some reason you do need to look at the at the blades on your mower, obviously you wouldn't do it while the mower is running. However, we would take the extra precaution of removing the wire from the spark plug to prevent accidental starting. I really don't see how that could be much of a problem with most mowers which are started with a chord pull, but it was just and extra precaution.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Detective-it was a hot summer, and he'd waited 'till dusk to mow. He was finishing up near where the porch light was, but the main part of the yard was pretty dark. Also, I wasn't there to see it, I only heard about it later, so I'm going by what he said. At any rate, the injuries were too messy, and the toes too chopped up, to consider reattaching them, so I guess it's nice in a way that the toe didn't go entirely to waste.

• kls
    kls

Also watch for bunnies, i feel so bad there was a nest of them and i didn't see them and i was on my tractor ( i feel so bad) and i ran one over and killed him . I am a murderer ; (

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit