Throwing mags away in public places

by gwyneth 23 Replies latest jw friends

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

I did a search and couldn't find another post on this subject, so I hope this hasn't been addressed too recently already...

I systematically throw away WTBTS literature that I find in public places (restrooms, and most recently, eight, count 'em, EIGHT mags at the train station that had about 20 chairs in it (Four sets of the same magazines--someone had a good month!) I rolled them up and deposited them into the trash, my father was shocked and said that people should be given the chance to read them. I said I was saving people from exposure from a cult. Do you think it's wrong to throw out magazines that I find in public places? Or should I let sleeping magazines lie?

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

I say you are doing a public service!

I also know some have stuck a little page inside magazines they find in public, giving any potential readers a better understanding of just what JWs are all about....

Either way, anything that prevents others from being exposed to their indoctrination materials is a good thing. If someone really wants to read the WT publications, they can contact their local Kingdom Hall or wait for them to stop by.

• Corvin
    Corvin

Throwing away mags I find in public places is now my own personal policy.

To me, it's like tossing a moldy loaf of bread. I just don't want anyone to come along and accidentally eat it.

Corvin

• exjdub
    exjdub
    To me, it's like tossing a moldy loaf of bread.

hahahahahahaaahah! Corvin, you are on a tear this week. Your scathing wit is on a new scale and I have been enjoying it.

exjdub

• Mulan
    Mulan

I was at the nursing home last summer, where my father was recovering from a stroke. In the family room were the latest WT and Awake. I dropped them into the waste basket and told the administrator what I did. She thanked me, and left them there while we concluded our business. The next day, I checked and they were still there under some new garbage. So, yes, I do it too.

• amac
    amac

I think it is presumptious to throw them away. Because you do not agree with something does not give you the right to deny it to others or the authority to "protect" them from information. It's called censorship, unless, of course, it is your property that they are left on.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I'm a firm believer in recycling.

If the WTBTS can continiously recycle their propaganda, I can recycle their publications. Blue bin here we come.

• xjw_b12
  • Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Whenever I go to the laundromat - and there are mags there - I throw them away. However... I try to rip them in half first. That way... they are REALLY trash... not too many folks would try to 'rescue' a ripped up magazine. (One magazine almost refused to be ripped... thoughts of 'demons' and 'demon posessed' filled my head... and I gave it a final twist - and it tore. hahahahahahaha)

I do as inconspicuously as possible. If someone is reading a magazine... I allow them to finish... then make another 'sweep' of the place, and quietly snag the 'litter'-ature, and toss it.

I do NOT feel that I am 'censoring' as someone else pointed out... rather, I am protecting innocent people from a cult.

Part of my 'un-witnessing' - if you will... up to -30 hours for the year. Just trying to figure who to turn in my un-time to. *wide grin*

Regards,

Jim TX

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I think it is presumptious to throw them away.

While I can see some point to what you say, I say it's just as presumptious for the JW's to leave their magazines scattered about in public places. There's a time and place for everything, and unless there's an actual INVITATION to leave literature from the owner of the train, the laundromat, or whatever building -- then it is technically UNINVITED and can be viewed as a nuisance.

The same goes for leaving magazines in telephone booth, benches or other open-air places -- they mostly just get blown away or thrown away anyhow.

I actually think it's disrespectful for JW's to scatter their magazines uninvited everywhere, as if they had some calling from God to do so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit