Why don't JWs observe Kosher laws? or Should JWs eat that juicy steak?

by M.J. 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M.J.
    M.J.

According to AJWRB.com,

even a thorough bleeding of a slaughtered animal leaves as much as 50% of its blood in the flesh...

Since JWs are so emphatic about not "taking in blood" when it comes to blood transfusions, what is their reasoning for not observing Kosher laws, at least with regard to the draining of the blood? Do most JWs feel conflicted over eating a juicy and bloody rare steak? Is there any official prohibition against this? Do they realize that cooking it well-done doesn't remove any blood, but only changes its color?

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Good point MJ, my parents never let us eat any meat that was not cooked until barely recognizable. I had my first steak medium rare only a couple of years ago.

• Room 215
    Room 215

I think you're asking JWs to do much more independent reasoning than they are prepared to do -- or conversely, conditioned NOT to do. It's my hunch that carnivorous dubbies who love their sirloins and bloody hamburgers are quite content to let this ``sleeping dog" lie since they know well that writers at Bethel are conditioned almost by reflex to shout ``NO" to any question of this type. Negativity is their specialty.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

WT$ lingo BIG word of the day: " Extravascular fluid" We had a lesson way back in the early 1980's on residual meat 'juice' and why it's WT$ permitted.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    Do they realize that cooking it well-done ... only changes its color?

And ruins its taste & texture ...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes I have my Kansas City Strip and Prime Rib Rare - wonderful

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

One would think that since the JWs tend to pick and chose which of the Mosaic Laws that want to inforce, and which they dont, then you'd think they would have inforced this one as well. This was my very argument about tattoos. The mosaic law forbid it because the Egyptians used tattooing to mark the Jews as slaves. The verses above and below this law also say not to cut your hair and not to eat certain meats.

If they chose to inforce the abstaining from blood rule, then it would naturally make sense for them to also inforce Kosher laws.

chevy of the "loves her local kosher deli cause it's just so yummy" class

• M.J.
    M.J.
    We had a lesson way back in the early 1980's on residual meat 'juice' and why it's WT$ permitted.

Not knowing the argument presented by the WTS, I would have to guess that they backed into the reasoning that the law is based more on one's intent of steering clear of flagrant blood consumption, not the absolute prohibition of all incidental and unverifiable blood consumption...But yet their scriptural basis is: "you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood" (Gen 9:3-4 NKJ). Anyone knows full well that that red "meat juice" is blood, so how can a JW in good conscience buy "flesh" from the market that comes dripping in its own "juice"?

Because the WTS says they can.

It would seem that the WTS's word is stronger than the scriptures they quote.

I would like to ask the WTS whether the orthodox jews are being "too legalistic" in their attempts to honor this law...

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

M.J. I had the same question about holidays and the calendar. If holidays are pagan in origin, and shouldn't be observed, why isn't the whole calendar? What could be more pagan then the names for days of the week or the names of months? Shouldn't they use the Jewish calendar? D Dog

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    What could be more pagan then the names for days of the week or the names of months? Shouldn't they use the Jewish calendar?

What could be more pagan than the month of Tammuz in the Jewish calendar?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit