My Catholic wife chastised the JWs coming to our door

by franklin J 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• franklin J
    franklin J

My wife just called me to tell me that as she was leaving the house this morning to run some errands, there were 2 " nice looking" ladies coming up our drive.

We have a 200 foot driveway and she encountered them already on our property approaching the house, just as she was driving out. She said she knew they were JWs because of the conservative looking clothes and cheap vinyl book bags. She immediatley stopped the car and asked them what "congregation" they were from and then proceeded to tell them how she was Catholic, but that my father had been an elder for many years; he had fallen away and when he passed on ; NO ONE from the congregation even bothered to call my mother to offer condoloences, much less attend the service. " And what kind of religion is that?" she asked them. They did not reply; and she continued " there is OBVIOUSLY no God in your congregation if your religion could be so cold hearted. Now, please leave my property, we are not interested ." The ladies left.

My wife is a delightful , friendly personality who maintains an "open door" policy at our home. I have never seen her treat anyone this way who has come to our door. She obvioulsy did this for me. Knowing her very well, I am sure it was said in a respectful but " to the point" delivery ( as if she was instructing the children).

"Thanks, Patty," I wish I could have been there to see it. Good family unity.

I have always been friendly and tolerant to them when they have come to my door ( having been there). But since this incident with my fathers passing; I am more inclined to SLAM the door on them. I know this is not a rational response; (but it would feel so good) .

• Sassy
    Sassy

I can understand why your wife would do that. She has seen the negative and cold impact that has come from them. And she cares about you, so it is not uncommon for us to have passionate feelings about things that cause hurt or harm to those we love...

• kls
    kls

Good for her, she said what she felt in regards to you . That is family!

• exjdub
    exjdub

Congratulations Franklin. There is nothing that feels better than a loved one being defensive and opening up a can of whoop-a** on somebody because of what they did to you.

Exjdub

• Odrade
    Odrade

See? and this is how normal people view that kind of behavior. Good for your wife for sticking up for good behavior. I wonder if those two "sisters" will even think about what a "bad witness" the congregation gave to your father's family or if they will dismiss the scolding out of hand.

Seems like when the JWs leave the "world" behind, they also leave behind good sense and common decency.

It's kind of funny. Your wife's comments made my day. Always validating when someone who has never been a JW can see right through the BS.

O

• prgirl79
    prgirl79

Good for your wife to do that it shows she cares. She knows how it has impacted you. It always did bother me how they called each other brother and sister yet were so cold. I was never a JW (THANKFULLY :) . I do agree they do seem to lose common sense and decency! My "wordly" friends would never have done that yet they think they are better than anyone else, and that they really care! My ex didn't go to the funeral service for his own grandmother neither did his mother how caring is that. I really don't understand how that can be justified. I find it rude, disrespectful and downright cruel. I guess if i died or anyone i cared for he would do the same things because hey who am I! Definately not as important as his own grandmother.

Unfortunately these two "sisters" probably took it one of two ways 1) just a bad incident (witness) 2) or someone else who went overboard and is just angry.

• bebu
    bebu

Good for her!!

A door slam alone would feel good--but good for her to take the wind out of their sails. Your wife is right to be angry about the treatment your dad received.

Your post made me remember something...

My VERY FIRST contact with JWs was when I was watching cartoons on a Saturday a.m. (I was probably about 7.) The doorbell rang, and my dad answered it in his ratty blue bathrobe. I overheard a conversation that went sort of like this:

Ladies: "Good morning! We are in the neighborhood asking people whether the lack of peace in this world concerns them."

Dad: "Thank you, we'll be doing our best to make the world peaceful." (*shuts door in their surprised faces)

I was absolutely shocked at my dad's "rude" behavior, because I didn't know anything about this cult. But my dad said they were a very strange religion (he obviously had learned some things about them), and we were not going to listen to them now.

(Good for you, too, dad!! )

bebu

• Special K
    Special K

Hey Hey Franklin.. Hats off to your wife.

I've always felt that way about my husband too. I can describe it as feeling.. "Hey, you treat my husband with disrespect and an uncaring attitude... sorry people, I won't accept that.".. move along because I won't accept that kind of treatment to my husband."

I feel that with all my family members. If you hurt a member of my family then you are hurting me and I will let you know about it.

I think this speaks of a wife's love for her husband.

Good stuff

sincerely

Special K

• minimus
    minimus

she sounds cool.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I wonder if those two "sisters" will even think about what a "bad witness" the congregation gave to your father's family or if they will dismiss the scolding out of hand.

Collectively, they will view it as more evidence of the promised (by the WTS) persecution. Individually, if they have anything left in their hearts, it will eat at them and maybe, who knows, a seed will take root.

Franklin: You must be so proud! Remember when they used to tell us that JW women made the best wives?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit