Presents all year round!

by Nosferatu 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I always wanted to puke when i heard that "we get presents all year" BS. My father had a decent paying factory job and I can count on my hand the times he ever bought us a toy. what a crock the society puts out

• dh
    dh

i remember telling other kids that i got presents all year round, knowing full well it was a lie. i never really got many presents at all, the ones i can remember i can count on one hand.

• Ciara
    Ciara

Pretty much same here. My parents celebrated their anniversary, but all that meant to me was that they got to have a special day and I didn't. And the only present I got year-round was a ton of teasing from everyone at my school.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Tell me about it sis! I remember vividly coming back after Christmas Break to the bragging of the other children. "OOooo what did you get ?" and the mega lists of things they'd received. Then inevitably they got to me. I remember the feeling of my stomach dropping and stammering. The shocked look on their faces, the look of confusion as to why I did not get stuff. The LOOONNGGG drawn out discussion as to why. The looks of pity, snickering, and even down right cruelty. I did get to celebrate some with my father, before mom keboshed that.

X.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Xandria

Tell me about it sis! I remember vividly coming back after Christmas Break to the bragging of the other children. "OOooo what did you get ?" and the mega lists of things they'd received. Then inevitably they got to me. I remember the feeling of my stomach dropping and stammering. The shocked look on their faces, the look of confusion as to why I did not get stuff. The LOOONNGGG drawn out discussion as to why. The looks of pity, snickering, and even down right cruelty. I did get to celebrate some with my father, before mom keboshed that.

F'ing dubs. That is awful!

I only joined the troof when I was about 13, so at least I had a reasonable first 13 years. That number was unlucky for me... my teen years were wierd, having to stop celebrating everything.

Poor dubbie kids.

Sirona

• simplesally
    simplesally

I did not grow up as a dub. But I got married and the only time we had an exchange of gifts was on our anniversary. It was also the only time our family gave us gifts. I felt sorry for his single sister who complained that while she was constantly buying wedding presents and anniversary presents for her friends in her congregation and there were parties for these people, she was always the giver and never on the receiving end.

As she said, no one gave her a surprise party, there was no special day for her to look forward to, etc. Single people really get the short end of the stick when they are in the org.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I actually did get presents all year round, but they were not gift wrapped. The funny thing is, so did all my non JW friends. They got the big presents on holidays, but they got presents all year too.

Mom always took me shopping the day after Thanksgiving, and we bought a ton of things for me, mostly clothes, as I recall. My family had money, and usually all I had to do was ask my Dad for money for something and he would fork it over. I didn't take advantage of it though. I wasn't spoiled, I wasn't spoiled, I wasn't spoiled.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit