Presents all year round!

by Nosferatu 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

So, how many of you got presents all year round? Most worldly kids get 2 days of presents a year, Birthdays and Christmas. Some even get something on Easter, Valentine's day, and St. Patrick's Day! My mother came up with a one day a year substitute: Present Day. It was normally done at the end of the school year. It wasn't nearly as exciting as it would have been for my birthday or Christmas.

So much for presents all year round.

• Nocturne
    Nocturne

I always loved that expression. When someone always asked if i felt left out for not getting presents on my birthday, I always gave the conditioned response "but I get presents all year round, and I don't need a special day to receive presents", but of course the day when someone said that they also get presents all year around plus birthdays, and christmas....let's just say I didn't know what to say.

Besides, I never really got presents "all year round".

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Yeah, the "Presents all year round" BS was just a way to fend off criticism. My folks just stopped almost entirely, right after joining the Dubs. I never knew anyone who received "Presents all year round". Some did the "special day" thing, usually around Christmas. I think without some sort of occasion, it's easy to let it slide.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

We used to have "Family Day", which was on my parents' wedding anniversary. But the fact was that my parents staying together year after year, really wasn't much to celebrate-Elder father chokes pioneer mother, son tries to stop violence, mother beats son for disrespect to father, you know, the same ole' dub routine....I did get some neat presents though!

• JeffT
    JeffT

OK my wife and I were bad witnesses. We made our anniversary a real celebration. The kids knew it was coming, got the whole anticipation thing, we wrapped the presents, and made a very special deal out of unwrapping them, special dinner, the whole works.

A whole day with no field service, like I said, we were bad witnesses. We thought our family was more important than writing numbers on a slip of paper at the end of the month.

• Jonty Parkin
    Jonty Parkin

I'll tell you what really wazzes me off!

The fact that it was not ok for me to go around to my (worldly) parents' home for turkey, roast potatoes, mince pies and sherry etc... on December 25th, but it was ok to visit my (ex) wife's extended witness family on December 26th for turkey, roast potatoes, mince pies and sherry etc!

Cheesers, the only difference was 24 hours and no xmas tree!

A few indignant expletives now follow...

hypocrytical w@nkers, tossers, fvckers, gits, b@stards, turds, dickheads.... and more fool me for not waking up to the hypocrisy sooner!

Jonty

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Don't even go there! I used to just want to CRY when they pulled out that old presents-all-year-round BS! My parents were dirt poor, we wouldn't have got much anyway, I can accept that, but the whole holiday thing made it SINFUL to even WANT presents, instead of just being a little sad not to get them. I concur with Jonty's last line of his post!

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

Nos,

My Mother called it present day too. And as for presents year round.....what a bunch of bull........I was lucky to get a present once a year at present day. She didn't want to spend too much money on it......materialistic ya know

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Yeah, the biggest load of sh*te they ever pushed was "presents all year round"!!! We were conditioned to say it as well, but coming from a po' white trash family, we were lucky if we had food all year round!

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Totally agree with you all, what a load of BS that line was!!

Yeah and we were dirt poor too, again thanks to the WT. My dad was mostly a bum and justified it I think because everyone knows getting a good job and making decent wages is one of Satan's most powerful snares!!!!

No Apologies (of the no-I'm not bitter-why-do-you-ask class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit