Baptism

by scoobygirl 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scoobygirl
    scoobygirl

Hi I am new and this is my first post. I would like to find out from a JW why the watchtower changed the wording in their baptisms. Please read the following and post a comment. Thank you so much as this will help my study. Watchtower Baptismal Question Change

Note the following change in the baptismal questions made in 1985 to further attempt to isolate their members from Christianity by promoting loyalty to the Watchtower organization, rather than to the "elusive" Christ:

WT (The Watchtower) 1973 5/1 page 280 Baptizing Follows Discipling

(1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

CHANGE TO:

WT 1985 6/1 page 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication

?Thus the decision to be baptized is by no means a sudden emotional reaction. Rather, each one has ?proved for himself the good and acceptable and perfect will of God? and wishes to submit to that will.?Romans 12:2.

At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ?s example.

The first question is:

On

the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do

you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah?s Witnesses in association with God?s spirit-directed organization?

Thank you..... :o) Scoobygirl!

• natalienu
    natalienu

Not that any of this really matters to most of us anyway!

I sure as hell ain't getting baptised!

• Maverick
    Maverick

Before that change a person could claim that he believed he was being baptised christian and was not aware that he was swearing an oath to the WTS. They are the parent corporation which rules and instructs the religious group known as Jehovah's Witnesses. He could nullify his baptisum on those grounds. Some people tried this and though the WTS never recognized Baptism Nullification it did present a loophole and the lawyers at the WTS corporation came up with the change to plug it.

The WTS is not a christian religion. It is a printing company that uses the legal tax advantages of religion and all the free labor and gifts that honest hearted people will contribute in the belief these gifts are for God. By repeating the updated oath at ones swearing in, (baptism ceremony) a person can not claim he was not aware of this fact.Maverick

• shotgun
    shotgun

Maverick is spot on....infact almost all procedural changes are undertaken for legal reasons, not new scriptural understanding as many would have you believe. If you dig the reasons become apparent.

• Nina
    Nina

I wonder if one could say that in 1985 the "Evil Slave" took control of the WT organization.

Nina

• shotgun
    shotgun

The Evil Slave took control in 1916

• Nina
    Nina

1916 the battle began, 1985 they achieved their goal?

• galaxy7
    galaxy7
    Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah?s Witnesses in association with God?s spirit-directed organization?

Does this statement mean the organization is the holy spirit

• Nina
    Nina

It depends upin what the meaning of "is" is...

"God's spirit-directed organization"?

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    "God's spirit-directed organization"?

this was one of the very first things that I brought up to my still Elder brother in law when me and my now Ex first exited... how can they be SPIRIT DIRECTED but NOT inspired?

we all know what it means....NOT INSPIRED TRANSLATES TO: they pray about things and make a decision on their own and so when they mess up, it's not God's spirit at fault, just over zealous brothers....

while SPIRIT DIRECTED TRANSLATES TO: do as we say or the wrath of God will be upon you because what we say is like God saying it and we can dis-fellowship you if you violate our directives, even if we will over turn them later and admit we were wrong, you will be still be under the wrath of God for not obeying us blindly...even though we never told you to do that (^_^)... whatever you actually do you will be responsible for because of your bible trained conscience...so if you do follow us wrongly you will be damned and if you don't obey us blindly you will be damned, have a nice life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit