staying out of school assembly!

by happehanna 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mulan
    Mulan

I still don't get it. Why couldn't you go to school assemblies? What is there about them that would make them taboo to a JW? My kids went to them too.

• blondie
    blondie

I went to school assemblies, but not until the flag was taken down and everyone stood up. Maybe some schools had a rule if you didn't come for the opening ceremony, you couldn't attend at all. (anyone out there?)

I didn't go to pep assemblies.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

When I was very young I did go into assembly. I only remember two hymms that were sung, one of which was "All Things Bright and Beautiful." At 7 I had to stay and explain to everyone why I didn't go into assembly. I blamed my parents, afterall it wasn't my choice. Elementary school wasn't bad and I wasn't alone. There were lots of Muslin kids who didn't join in the religuious service held in school.

The first year of high school I stayed out and that was far worse. There were 3 of 4 kids of JW parents and we were the only ones who sat out assembly. Not only did we have to suffer jibes because of our religion we missed a lot of important annoucements. After that first year I didn't bother to sit out. No-one except the headmaster sang during assembly so I was harldy joining in a worship with the rest of the school.

Missing assembly, not singing the National Anthem, and not saying the Pledge of Allegiance are all things the Watchtower has decreed to make members different and to induce persecution. Sometimes these induced a huge amount of stress. School is hard enough as it is without deliberately going out of the way to be different. It's a wonder we survived and are not even more unbalanced.

3rd

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Mulan,

Those of us educated in the UK most likely went to a state school. A religious assembly is part of the day and a small amount of religious instruction is part of the curriculum. The Church of England is the state religion and state schools follow Anglican traditions in worship. For JWs it is a no-no to worship with other religions and the school system allows for students to opt out of assembly. Since very few students do opt out there is little or no provision for JW kids.

3rd

• ball.
    ball.

Mulan, definately in the UK, assemblies always included prayer and several hymns and a story with a religious theme.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    g92 2/8 pp. 11-13 Young People Ask . . .Should We Go to the Pep Rally?

AAAAARRRRRRGG!! Just seeing a g--dammed Awake on this topic is enough to make my blood boil!!

Nevertheless, there are good reasons for Christian youths not to attend.

Typical! Heaven forbid it if JW kids attend or do anything that is even remotely fun!!

Of course, circumstances vary. Sometimes attendance at school assemblies is mandatory, and a pep rally may be a part of the program. Pep rallies themselves may vary in style and content. And while no hard-and-fast rule can be made as to attendance, a Christian youth is wise to discuss such matters with his parents and weigh the various factors involved. (See Proverbs 24:6.) If you decide not to get involved in pep rallies, you may have to stand up to powerful peer pressure. But always remember that your first loyalty is to God WTS?not to some school or team

First they say JW kids shouldn't attend, but then they say there are "no hard-and-fast rule" about attending?? And they encourage the kids to speak to their parents?? Like I could really talk to my mom about pep rallies?? Oh sure.

• lovinglife
    lovinglife

I remember always having to sit for the flag salute in elementary school but it changing to where I could stand (to show respect) but not say the pledge or put my hand over my heart. Every new school year my mom would meet with my teacher and explain to her all the things that I was not allowed to participate in. Every time there was any kind of hoilday party, I just seem to have a dentist's or doctor's appointment.

I remember one particular incident where after my parents had divorced (dad was an unbeliever) in jr. high school, I wanted to take my dad to a school football game. Well, mom pulled the good ol' Watchtower and Awake mags out and went through the usual lectures on how competition was bad and yadda yadda yadda. She then in that JW tone "Now, do you think that Jehovah would think this is such a good idea?" I looked back at her (and much to her dismay) said that I still want to take my dad to a football game. I did get to take him and it was wonderful! This was one of the first steps I took in walking away from this religion at the age of 15. Oh, how sweet it was!

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Pep rallies????? The only thing wrong at my son's school (in some staff opinion) was the treatment of freshmen. Not that it did anything this year to curb the chanting of "freshmen suck!" I guess JWs should avoid pep rallies in case the student body chants "Watchtower Sucks!"

3rd

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    As to pep rallies, this sums it up although it was written a few years after I graduated.

1992? Oh all this time I thought you were 59....

confusedjw.....Yeah, getting out of boring stuff at school but having to spend 5 hours a week on even more boring stuff....

I really hated those stupid inane pep rallies. I never understood why they tried to pit the Juniors against the Seniors and the Sophs against the Freshmen. Why? What was the point of all that? And the crazy screaming and yelling. Plus having to hear really-godawful anti-drug motivational speakers (please get me outa here!). I woulda used my JW status to get out of them had I known they were verbotten.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Mulan:
    Following what Ball said, at the very least there was a hymn to start and finish. There ran a very real risk of a prayer, and maybe a lightweight, kiddie religious-type address, once in a while. Mostly it was school announcements, though.
    I knew when to leave the library and head back to class, because I could hear strains of "Kumbaya" through the wall.
    I loved the extra time reading, that it gave me, as I was a total bookworm, at school.
    Besides, I was gonna get the sh*te kicked out of me for being different (AKA a JW), regardless of whether I went to it or not.

Funny, though, they were going to do the story of "Pilgrim's Progress" for one pre-Christmas assembly and I had unwittingly been asked to draw "Christian" in every picture. The teacher didn't want me to miss out on getting to see my work and included me in that particular assembly. I loved it, especially as I hadn't heard the story before, and had wondered about the significance, during art class (I was about eight).
    LOL - it was probably the most religious assembly of the year, barring Christmas itself!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit