staying out of school assembly!

by happehanna 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• happehanna
    happehanna

Does anyone else remember how awful school was because of the dreaded school assembly.

My whole school life was blighted because I couldn't go in.

My young son can goes in and it is the best part of his day, he loves the hymns. How glad am I that I came to my senses before my son suffered like I did as a child.

• dh
    dh

i remember never going into assembly, i used to play cards with the muslim kids who were a few years older than me because they didn't go in either.

• findingme
    findingme

By "school assembly", do you mean pep rallies? Games?

• dh
    dh

i don't know about other countries, but in the uk it's normal that at the beginning of every day of school, after registration the whole school goes to the gym or assembly hall, sing a couple of hyms and some teachers talk about random school things, the whole thing would take about half and hour to 45 minutes. in big schools they might split it by age.

jw parents usually keep their kids out of school assembly because of the hyms

• xLaurax
    xLaurax

Lol. To be quite honest being able to get out of things such as assemblies and the choir was the best thing about it. Assembly is the most boring part of the day and infact i sometimes hide in the toilets to get out of it.

Hey, maybe thats just me xLaurax

• ball.
    ball.

We nearly had half a congregation of kids who would sit out at our school, those were good days. When the older kids moved onto a higher school, I was left on my own and they sat me in the corridor leading up to the assembly hall where everyone would file past and ask me what I was doing.

After about a year of abuse like that, my wood work teacher found me and said what a waste of my time it was, said would I like to join his older class who didnt have assembly that day, and continue to work on my woodwork assignment. I loved that! God bless that wood work teacher!

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

I was in 2nd grade the year President John Kennedy was Killed.

A seven year old JW boy who suffered brutal persecution from the faculty and pupils.

My JW parents didn't have a clue what kind of daily torment I had to endure.

• ball.
    ball.

Yes, those were quite tough times, but we came through it as stronger people, yes?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My school had frequent assemblies where we would sing along with the principal as he played music and though the songs were not religious, some were political. I was never told not to go to these assemblies and thus sang along to the State Song, even tho I could not sing "America the Beautiful" or the National Anthem during "pledge" time. And so today, the Star-Spangled Banner does nothing for me, but the State Song really stirs those heart-strings!! Tears come to my eyes when I start to sing it....

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

when i was very young (about 5-6 yo) my mom told the teacher i shouldnt go into assembly, which was great because i could play with games whilst the other children were bored sitting on a hard floor in the hall. but as soon as the other children began wonder about me not going to assembly, i realised i had better start going so that i wouldnt get any stick from them. so i told the teacher i wanted to go into assembly and i went. my mom wasnt there to stop me lol.

i remember though, my mom pulling me out of a class play because it was about the Gunpowder Plot . that i did get stick from. f***ing stupid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit