Leaving the Mormons stories can help Witnesses

by Dogpatch 23 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Do most ex-Witnesses become atheist just like most exmos? That's where my wife and I are.

Also, it seems to me that the Witnesses are much meaner than the mormons when someone leaves the Witnesses. We have our own kind of shunning but it seems to me that the Witnesses are required to shun anyone who leaves whereas the Mormons settle for a kind of condescending-arrogant holier-than-though kind of approach. Are you actually required to shun loved ones who leave? I find that astonishing and it would seem nearly impossible for someone who loves their wife, husband, son or daughter to follow through with it. Am I looking at this wrong?

I doubt that "MOST" become atheists, but a huge percentage do. I am leaning that way.
    I definitely believe the Bible is the word of MAN.

JW's are actually required to shun loved ones who leave. Some congregations enforce the
    rules better than others, but I know a disfellowshipped lady with a family (they were never JW)
    who will make food for her parents (still JW) and they won't shun her like they are supposed to,
    but they won't eat "with" her, because that's the supposed Bible principle. She actually prepares
    their meal then doesn't eat, so they can have their rightful way.

Another guy, he left the JW's years ago, so his entire family won't speak to him at all until he
    gets in their way, literally. They won't tell him where his elderly mother is living now.

Personally, I think the Mormons are a stranger/worse cult while a person is in, but I think the JW's
    treat their former members worse. It's a fear thing- let the former members associate and they fear
    that others will leave with them.

A husband or wife is not supposed to shun their spouse, though. And parents do not have to shun
    a child or adult child who lives in their home. But if they are outside the home, parents or grandparents
    are supposed to totally shun the former JW who was baptized as a pre-teen then changed his mind.
    Vice-versa, also- shunning parents or grandparents. Many break that rule and fear getting caught.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Wow. Brutal. I can't imagine shunning any of my kids or my wife even for a day, let alone a year. But I suppose, within the mindset of the Witnesses, it makes logical sense, i.e. if you REALLY love them you will do all you can to get them back. But do people really go through that kind of brutality to come back? I would think it must be rather rare.

Think again, man...my sister is going through that bullcrap just to get back right now. She sent in her reinstatement letter in December, and they are taking their sweet time getting her back. But yes, this happens more than you would think...

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    My brother checked out the MT during a visit to Utah and said he felt like he was at Bethel.

Exactly the same with me. I went on a trip to SLC once and I felt almost 'at home' like they were my JW brothers and sisters giving the tour (Temple Square). And when there was a new Temple built in my neighborhood, they allowed the public to see inside before it was dedicated. It was summer (assembly weather), we parked in a field, got directed by Mormon attendants who looked as factory-stamped as the JW ones do at conventions. So weird.

And I did check out the ex-Mormon, ex-SDA, ex-Catholic, ex-WCG sites a few years ago. Opened my eyes. The stories are so similar to that of ex-JWs.

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

Ihid,

You are SOOOO going to hell for revealing sacred temple secrets...

.....maybe we can be next door neighbors.

By the way, my temple name is Ammon.

For the rest of the forum, which is MORE true... exJW's or exMo's?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit