A 'sister' writes to Silentlambs

by abbagail 31 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The elders don't seem to have as big a problem with people going to the police if the accused is not a JW. And that is probably why she got away with it
    Lady Lee
  • little witch
    little witch

It would seem that sister is advocating reform within the watchtower!

Jump back kiss y'self!

BTTT

• avishai
    avishai
    You cannot get disfellowshipped for not following their advice

Bull.

If you are wrongly DF'ed, then you can appeal it to a neutral panel of elders from various congregations, and they get help from the society.

No such thing.

• little witch
    little witch

Avi says, "Bull and no such thing"...

Exactly!

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

So, if this mother already had her "mind made up," why the need to go to the elders?

The whole premise of her letter shows a great deal of convoluted thinking:i.e., "If elders give you bad advice don't listen to it!" The role of JW's elders is to give the congregation spiritual guidance on matters. Obviously, a person seeking the advice of the elders is seeking spiritual guidance in making decisions and dealing with issues. It makes NO SENSE to do so if members of the congregation already know what they want to do, and already know what consistutes "bad advice."

This girl was lucky in that her mother made the decision that was right for her and her daughter (hope she also took legal action--doesn't say here). But to suggest that it's the responsibility of the "flock" to actually know when the elders' are actually representing "Jehovah's" wishes, or simply giving bad advice is naive and simplistic.

• blondie
    blondie

This is a good example of a JW that buys into the printed/spoken promises of the WTS, but has not personally experienced them. "Neutral" appeal JC, my foot. I have heard of only one case where it was reversed and the original JC was so angry with the appeal JC that they did not talk for the next 10 years. Otherwise, they just rubber stamp what was done before. Show me one scripture were a JC let alone an appeal JC is described (in the NT).

Yes, she turned in the person but they are not a JW. I agree, LL, it would have been different if it had been a "faithful" brother.

Good point.

It reminds me of the scripture:

Matthew 23:25-28

"Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of plunder and immoderateness. 26 Blind Pharisee, cleanse first the inside of the cup and of the dish, that the outside of it also may become clean.

"Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men?s bones and of every sort of uncleanness. 28 In that way YOU also, outwardly indeed, appear righteous to men, but inside YOU are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
  • willyloman
    willyloman
    the elders are IMPERFECT MEN... They CAN NOT TELL YOU WHAT TO DO. You cannot get disfellowshipped for not following their advice.

Yes, you can.

I served on an appeal committee in a case where the young woman was df'd precisely because the elders told her what to do and she did not follow their advice. I have sat on judicial cases where this was the only reason we were there -- advice had been given by elders to the accused, who chose not to follow it. Such "brazen disregard for counsel" falls under "loose conduct" in the elder's "flock" book and is indeed grounds for DF, and many have been kicked out of the org. under such circumstances.

The sister is naive, but she's got guts. She's agitating for reform and when she finally realizes the problem is systemic, she'll have her eyes opened and yet another sister will have entered into the light.

• little witch
    little witch

I agree Willy. Sistah is on the edge of "getting it". I hope she shows up here, I will embrace her with open arms. If indeed this is a real person and not a jw apologist trying to fool the public.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I get so angry at the JWs for promoting going to elders with every problem. When I was a teenager I had anorexia (wonder why?), and my family doctor told my mother to get me into counseling. What did she do? She had the elders come over. Here was these two overweight guys trying to give me advice on what to eat/when. I *never* got counseling for the disorder. Fortunately, I pulled out of it (as I got away from the JWs, again, what a surprise).

I do not think anyone should underestimate the grave disservice JW's are doing by setting up elders as the one-stop-shopping for advice, especially when they obvoiusly are NOT qualified to handle some of the things they do. Obviously, it's perpetuated abuse. In my case, I basically deprived of medical care.

• little witch
    little witch

Blacksheep, You are so right! These are uneducated (for the most part) MEN. Men who are chosen to lead for their stupidity and disreguard to modern medicine and therapy.

It is so frustrating that they are "endowed" with power over the "flock" when they are themselves useless and in the dark! They tend to use their "spiritual chosen status" to keep people quiet about very important personal issues that are healed readily by the exact opposite!

Dear Blacksheep, I know you don't know me, but I want you to know that you are valuable, smart, and wise. I don't want you to disappear! Be strong, and be just who you are! You are a special, important person, and don't let anyone make you feel otherwise!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit