Work Experience Brings Back Strange Memories ...

by Wild_Thing 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    I just can't stand blind followers and the JWs seems to attract a lot of them.

Really?

• Who cares
    Who cares

Underwear You just don't see it. I am in good standing and I am not leading a double life. I would be an elder now if I didn't move halls. I am a MS. The WTS doesn't say anywhere that you can't go to a bar or an "R" movie. You let people tell you how God feels about things and how you should apply what the bible says. So yes you were infuenced by man. When I read the bible I see a good of love not one of fear. I don't fear the WTS, heck their just a bunch of men trying to do what is right and to help others. If other JWs want to live by all sorts of rules, good for them. There are actually very few rules in the bible which are ones people in general live by anyhow. A personal relationship with Gods is what is important. An organized religion can just help you get there.

For all those people that spanked their children with paddles and sticks, shame on you! I do think it is child abuse but its not just JW doing it.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    For all those people that spanked their children with paddles and sticks, shame on you! I do think it is child abuse but its not just JW doing it.

I didnt spank my kids, my Jw ex did, so it was a Jw doing it!

*** Watchtower 1954 January 15 pp.54-62 Disciplining Children for Life ***

That brings us to discipline, and forces a facing of that hotly controversial question: to spank or not to spank.

2 Many child psychologists put a "hands off" sign on children, as did one who said: "Do you mothers realize that every time you spank your child you show that you are hating your child?" Jehovah says: "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him." A spanking may be a lifesaver to a child, for Jehovah says: "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you beat him with a rod, he will not die. If you beat him with the rod you will save his life from Sheol." Again, "Blows that wound cleanse away evil; strokes make clean the innermost parts."

[?]

So it is with children. Some are more sensible than others; some are meeker than others. A rebuke may discipline them more than a whipping would others who are more stubborn and in whose childish heart may be bound up a more than usual amount of folly.

5 Parents, if this is the case with your child, be patient.

That brings us to discipline, and forces a facing of that hotly controversial question: to spank or not to spank.

2 Many child psychologists put a "hands off" sign on children, as did one who said: "Do you mothers realize that every time you spank your child you show that you are hating your child?" Jehovah says: "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him." A spanking may be a lifesaver

2 Many child psychologists put a "hands off" sign on children, as did one who said: "Do you mothers realize that every time you spank your child you show that you are hating your child?" Jehovah says: "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him." A spanking may be a lifesaver to a child, for Jehovah says: "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you beat him with a rod, he will not die. If you beat him with the rod you will save his life from Sheol." Again, "Blows that wound cleanse away evil; strokes make clean the innermost parts."

[?]

So it is with children. Some are more sensible than others; some are meeker than others. A rebuke may discipline them more than a whipping would others who are more stubborn and in whose childish heart may be bound up a more than usual amount of folly.

[?]

to a child, for Jehovah says: "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you beat him with a rod, he will not die. If you beat him with the rod you will save his life from Sheol." Again, "Blows that wound cleanse away evil; strokes make clean the innermost parts."

[?]

Thank you Quotes for that info, and for the priceless links you provide.

• Who cares
    Who cares

Stephnie, I can't believe you think something they wrote 50 years ago is still valid today. I remember being paddled in school and that was the late 60s. Back in the 50s and 60s for that matter most people thought spanking a child was good, not just JWs. If you have any form of intelligence you have to admit that! Spankings was generally accepted by most americans. Hell it was legal in school. Parents (including JWs) who spank their children were probably spanked as a child. So when those people became JWs they spanked their kids. As Bobby Dooley would say "Are you for real".

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    The WTS doesn't say anywhere that you can't go to a bar or an "R" movie

You are a typical MS. The reason I posted The WTS quote is because, as you stated above you go by what they say. Its not my fault they change their teachings more than a whore changes her lipstick.

Go pick your nose, you troll.

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

When I was part of that evil cult it was often my duty to take a head count at the KH. I would count all inside, and then just peek out the door for those parents thrashing their newborns outside !!

I recall a little boy of about 4 yrs old who's father threathen to "f*ck him up" with a garden hose lying outside on the KH lawn. The little boy fell to his knees and started to pray: "Please Jehovah Save me". The father saw me and just laughed it off.

For that little boy it was a defining moment in his life...he knew that from that day forward, his father is trash and the KH is a torture pit from hell ! What did I do about it then...nothing,,why because I was a loyal cult card carrying member and probably thought the little screamer deserved it. Now I am sickened by the thought of it. If I could find that father today I would use that same technique on him and teach him how to pray !

Nadsam..hates all spanking, believes it is sign of sickness (if you love your pet you wouldn't hurt it but because youre sick you beat your kid, why ...are pets better than your own flesh and blood ??!?!)

Nadsam

[email protected]

• Odrade
    Odrade

who cares, My dad wasn't spanked as a child. In fact he never laid a finger on me until he converted to JW when I was 3 years old. In fact, I got my very first spanking after he attended his second meeting. I firmly believe that had he not converted, he never would have hit me, and he would have restrained my mother from striking me also. Do I think the JW teachings promote, even praise, excessive discipline? Damn straight.

oh, and btw, my JW mother-in-law, who is otherwise a nice and sensible lady by the way, sees nothing wrong with spanking a child under 1 year of age if they cannot be quiet at the meeting. You could also, in her words, "hold them in the back of the kingdom hall so they can't see anything but the corner, and just press their mouth into your shoulder until they figure out it does them no good to cry." That was the advice she told me she gave to a young mother who was having trouble getting her 6 month old baby to be silent throughout the meeting. Sounds like good spiritual training to me...

• Who cares
    Who cares

Orade--Thats just terrible people its not JWs, not the ones I know.

• Odrade
    Odrade

whocares, did you even read what I wrote? It's not terrible people and many of them, particularly the ones in my family, did not come up with these ideas for discipline on their own. They were trained this way by the WTS publications and the Elders. Many fundamentalist cults use the same disciplinary techniques, it's not all that unusual. My real question is, next time you see some mother in your hall beating on her toddler for not sitting still at meeting, are you going to report her to CPS? Remember, what happens at the hall is just a little taste of what goes on at home, and you can bet those parents who beat their kids are getting plenty of praise and reinforcement from the elders.

Get your head out of the sand.

• Who cares
    Who cares

My grandparents did not beat my parents and my parents didn't beat me! And they were all JWs. Most of my friends realize they just have kids that can't seat for hours and don't beat them because they are noisey. No that did not come from the WTS, you had terrible parents. Let me explain: They took the "spare the rod, spoil the child" to the extreme. Its not what the WTS said. Somebody quoted something from the early fifties from what looks like the Watchtower (not sure if it is but I am not denying that it isn't either!). But it was from the fifties where corporal punishment was widely accepted. I have been going to meetings all my life and have not seen what you are saying. Sure it does happen but its not all the time (like it does with non JWs). Its by unbalanced people who were probably beat by their parents who were never JWs. And you act like this is the only place it happens. Child beatings happen at all levels of society and all members. To blame it on the WTS is just ridiculous. I have never seen it written anywhere in the Societies publications that "if your child makes noise at the KH promptly take him or her out side and beat him and keep doing this until he or she stops, that will make the God of love happy" People tend to point fingers at the WTS when it should be at themselves. Please put your pretty head back in the sand!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit