divorce, stress and the unknowns?...

by Axelspeed 16 Replies latest social relationships

• Fleur
    Fleur

oh my god.

i could have written your post, axel, seven years ago. i thought those thoughts, said those things, and worried, worried worried about the right decision to make. i had a two year old child at the time too, so her future depended on what i decided.

i agonized over it for a long time. finally, the 'enough' point came when i was ready to die to get out of the marriage. i thought the only way out of the religion, and marriage, would be in a body bag. but friends (so called worldly ones) convinced me that i was too young to give up on my life (i was 26) and that no matter what emotionally abusive things my husband had said to me, i could 'do better', i could 'be treated differently' and i could 'make it without him.'

was it easy? hell no. did i worry if my child would hate me? yes, constantly.

this week it was six years since the divorce was final and i know more every single day that not only did i do the right thing, i did the only thing i could do to save my life and my sanity.

has it been hard at times since? yes, because of my daughter, she's older now and she wonders why she has to have two sets of parents, to go back and forth, but she's also old enough to realize that her father is a very difficult person to deal with, and she knows, and has said, that she is better off the way things are. i wish i could have saved her the anguish of having to go back and forth but you know what? she would have been a lot worse off if a) i'd offed myself as i'd planned back then or b)i managed to stay alive and continued to be degraded, humiliated, and abused on a daily basis right before her eyes. i didn't want her to grow up thinking that this was the way a man should treat a woman.

if you don't have kids, then it's a hell of a lot easier, but still divorce is something i wouldn't wish on the worst person in the world. it tears you up, but you can heal, believe me.

only you can say where your personal 'line' is and if its been crossed. as someone who has been there, and is now married VERY happily to someone who is so much better to me, and for me, than my first husband ever was or could be, i know that there is no comparison between being with someone who really loves you or someone who loves and idea of what they want you to be. that's not love, that's control.

hope i'm making sense and sorry for no capitol letters with ms it's easier for me to give them up when i type. i could talk about this for hours, seriously, will likely be back to this thread. i didn't read other responses yet because i wanted to give you my view without having read anybody elses first, but i know you're definitely not alone in where you are.

even my jw family, even the ones who shun me (which has been the hardest part of the divorce/remarriage thing for everyone) say that they know i'm better off with husband 2. they can't understand why we're so happy when we're not doing things 'jehovah's way'. meanwhile, all the jw marriages i know, all of them, are lukewarm, at best. i have never known a really, truly peaceful and happy jw couple.

more later...and big hugs to you

fleur (the poster known formerly as esmeralda till i lost my !*!&%! hotmail account and the info that went with it.)

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I was never officially married, but after living commonlaw for 4 years (and being engaged on top of it), I'm guessing the aftermath is quite similar.

Things kept on going downhill for me. I thought about the wasted time, but I eventually looked upon it as "experience" instead of wasted time. No amount of money can pay for life experience.

The most difficult for me was trying to support myself. I ended up moving in with a friend who screwed me around. After that, I ended up moving in with my parents as a last resort. That was the hardest - coming back to where your first started out after time had passed, with more debt. It was difficult avoiding the feeling of failure.

I'll tell you something, I never realized how unhappy I was until she left. She was the one who kept on bringing me down. Sure, my financial situation was the shits, but it was worth it to gain my sanity back.

I wish you luck on whatever you decide.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

AxelSpeed,

WOW, can I relate to your situation???!!! The only thing is that I'm the female of this story.

I'm at the point of reaching insanity if I continue to attend meetings and go out on service for the sake of keeping peace with my husband and parents.

On the other hand, I'll be destroyed if my husband leaves or my parents treat me as if I was dead yet again.

It's a horrible way to live at this point.

DY

• reboot
    reboot

((((fleur))))) that was a really inspirational post :)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Axelspeed, I think you have already figured out the big "hits" you will have to take, going through a divorce.

being a failure at it,
    the wasted years, and
    fear of the unknown beyond it all.
    I wonder is it worth it to start over?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. All legitimate fears and feelings. Add to this the stages of grief (she will go through denial and anger, you will mourn what you lost). Also expect well-meaning family to come by to try and convince you to work it out. It will take them a while to figure out what to do with you at social gatherings and the like. You may experience an economic downturn. I have seen men lose their job in the midst of the divorce. They could not invest the same energy at work as before, or they started acting out their grief in inappropriate ways.

I figure, any marriage that lasts more than two years was a success for at least a little while. Marriage is a lot of work. So don't be so hard on yourself, remember the good times, and what made your marriage so good for so long. I can't relate to the "fear of the unknown". I have been a leaper all my life. Only after I jump do I go.....

"Wait a minute. What have I just done? AAAAAAAH!"

In every case though, my decision to reform was the right one, and I was better for it. You will need help working through your grief. Women do this naturally, seeking out friends, crying, talking it out. Men tend to "act out" inappropriately. One ex-husband confided to me that he had been a total jerk for a year after the separation, his way of dealing with the pain. "Now I am sorry, but it is too late. She would never believe that I changed." I encourage you to seek out safe friends to confide in, and avoid doing anything you would later regret. Working through your grief might help you stay focused on the job, too.

But I also wonder if we can we both can afford mentally to keep living like this?

Aye, that's the rub. Above all, you have to be good to your soul.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Wow! Interesting topic!

Been there - done that. Bought the T-shirt... but the ex got it in the divorce.

Background:

JW when I got married to another JW.

Lived in JW-Land for a couple of years after that - and then walked away.

Married for about 21 years total.

One daughter - who was 19 at the time of the divorce two years ago.

Okay. I had no 'issues' with the marriage - other than the ex was getting more and more... 'JW-ish' towards the end. She got to the point where she was beginning (or had been for a while, and I just noticed it) to disrespect me... and using her 'religion' bit as her hammer.

I just got tired of her hipocracy(sp?).

Anyway... the biggest 'loss' to me was in that she got everything... the house, the big SUV, the lot next door, part of my penson...

BUT!!! I got my freedom, and the chance to live - and start over.

The biggest thing to watch out for - getting lawyers involved. If the two can agree to part ways - and do it fairly - then you will save yourself some big bucks which will just go into the lawyers' pockets.

When we first parted - she said that she would not 'fight' anything I did. When she was served with the papers... the 'rules' changed.

I wish her well.

Oh!! One other thing. If she is the 'good lil JW' - she will hound you for 'proof' of 'sexual relations'... due to their silly rules. You may - or may not want to be forthcoming with any information in that area.

She 'stalked' me for about a year after the divorce... and there were two different 'elders' who phoned me at home in the evenings hounding me.

I told them to buzz off.

They finally did.

Brace yourself... it's one heckuva ride!

Regards,

Jim TX

* Call now, operators are standing by. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states. Your mileage may vary.

• copsec
    copsec

allgrowedup,

I would rather be alone than miserable. And believe me, it may take quite awhile but there ARE still decent poeple out there to meet. I ended up with someone I consider my best friend. We were married 4 years after my divorce became final and although we have had our ups and downs I would not trade him for the world! So, if that's the situation you are in, be patient. Things will work out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit