Is the Administration Planning Another War?

by Greenpalmtreestillmine 40 Replies latest social current

• Realist
    Realist

black,

quite shaky argumentation.

people who believed in hitler and stalin would have made the same comments about them as you do about bush.

the fact remains that bush attacked iraq based on the premise of WMD and that hussein posed a threat to the US. this was obviously wrong.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

the fact remains that bush attacked iraq based on the premise of WMD and that hussein posed a threat to the US. this was obviously wrong

Same tiresome agrument. Except the FACTS are that everyone believed Saddam to be an imminent threat. His failure to comply with UN inspections and regulations made it very clear that he flew in the face of the rest of the world.

Kind of like a police officer taking action on a previously convincted murderer who appears to be concealing a weapon; and he won't comply with the officer's requests to show his hands, and refuses other reqests of the officer. Turns out he may not have had a weapon, after all. To suggest the officer didn't base his actions on the best known, reasonable intelligence, but in fact, claim that he "lied" about the suspect's having a weapon is as laughable as the tired claims that Bush "lied" about Saddam's likely having WMD and the predisposition to use them.

• Realist
    Realist
    Except the FACTS are that everyone believed Saddam to be an imminent threat.

who is everyone???

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Iraq had U.N. Inspectors on the ground looking for WMDs.

Given these two circumstances, why did we rush to war? Why didn't President Bush give the inspectors the time they needed? Osama was in Afghanistan, he was the one who attacked us not Saddam. Yes, I know Saddam is a big bad guy, the world is full of them. Saudi Arabia funds terrorists, Pakistan harbored terrorists yet they are our friends.

The major problem with the Iraq war is it made no sense.

Sabrina

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

AlanF said, and this is the heart of the problem:

They're largely a bunch of Fundy idiots who think that events in the Middle East are fulfillments of Bible prophecy concerning the Anti-Christ and the Rapture. They want to hurry it along and be part of it. They want to be Raptured to heaven real soon.

Michael3000 Excellent find

Bush is scary because he says he "is doing God's will"

http://www.bushflash.com/faith.html

What we need here is a little history folks. This country, USA, was founded by some very smart rationalist known as the 'founding fathers' who were educated and far from the modern religious fundamentalism that motivates Bush. He is almost as much an extreme Christian religionist as Osama is an extreme Islamic. You have to at least admit that both think 'God is on my side and we will destroy these heathens'. This is a disease no matter what your religion. This war is nothing but a war of one set of extreme religionist against another set of extreme religionist. If you are not aware of this you need to review Bush's recent history. We of all people should be able to appreciate that religious bigotry is harmful. When national governments become it's pawns you have a lot more harm then the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society could ever cause. Jst2laws

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Guess I'll just go down and sign up now.

Avoid the rush.

CZAR

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Yes ... I believe they have one or several more wars in the works ... I speculate that it will be Iran, Syria, North Korea, and possibly Saudi Arabia unless clean up their act. Also possibly Lebanon and/or assist Israel to clean up Palestine and get rid of Arafat.

I am not taking sides with my speculation ... at least not until November when I cast my vote.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    What we need here is a little history folks. This country, USA, was founded by some very smart rationalist known as the 'founding fathers' who were educated and far from the modern religious fundamentalism that motivates Bush. He is almost as much an extreme Christian religionist as Osama is an extreme Islamic. You have to at least admit that both think 'God is on my side and we will destroy these heathens'. This is a disease no matter what your religion.

Well said. On at least two occasions, Bush has let the word "crusade" slip into his rhetoric. Not a smart move, but then, he's not a smart person. I think the idea of "domino" type wars appealed to Bush and his ilk very much. But no, we won't have more wars in my estimation, because A) we-the-people won't let him get away with it, and B) we don't have the resources to fight the war we are in right now effectively; we certainly don't have the resources to attack any more countries of any substance (watch your back Costa Rica). If America came under any attack, or even any threat, right now, we would have to drop the ball in Iraq much quicker than we are dropping it currently (slow motion ball-dropping, who'd a'thunkit?). Fortunately, defending our borders (militarily) is much easier and less costly than being unwelcome occupiers of other peoples' countries. There are rational-yet-religious people out there to lead the way.

"You will determine whether rage or reason guides the United States in the struggle to come. You will choose whether we are known for revenge or compassion. You will choose whether we, too, will kill in the name of God, or whether in His name, we can find a higher civilization and a better means of settling our differences"-- General Wesley Clark, Seton Hall address
  • blacksheep
    blacksheep

He is almost as much an extreme Christian religionist as Osama is an extreme Islamic. You have to at least admit that both think 'God is on my side and we will destroy these heathens'. This is a disease no matter what your religion. This war is nothing but a war of one set of extreme religionist against another set of extreme religionist. If you are not aware of this you need to review Bush's recent history. Nice fantasy that you are living in, but RECALL: Osama bin Laden delcared war on the US as enemies of Allah. The US did NOT go out and declare war on terrorists. Secondly, bin Laden and his regime has aboslutely NO TOLERANCE for religious dissention. Under the Taliban rule, it was ILLEGAL to believe in any other religion. Bush, on the other hand, has made it CLEAR that we are a society of religious toleration and support. He has NOT tried to outlaw or thwart other religions; all his actions are in fact contrary to that. It is Osama and the Islamofascists who have declared war and their hatred of the US. We are defending ourselves as a free nation that will not toleration such radicalims and hatred.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000
    The US did NOT go out and declare war on terrorists.

WTF??!!! Are you an amnesiac? "War on Terror" ring any bells, hmm? No? Try switching from Fox News once in a while - Sean Hannity must be paying your rent...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit