An Esmerelda by any other name would still be just as screwed up.

by Fleur 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Fleur
    Fleur

Yes, it's me. I've lost old hotmail accounts and the old account info that went with them. But it is me, Es, Essie, Esmerel/alda, in addition to anything else obscene I may be known by in these parts.

I just pounded this out in pure frustration. I'm probably going to get heckled for posting it but what the hell, there isn't anywhere else I can go where people will get this, and I can't keep it inside, it has GOT to go somewhere before my brain explodes.

So here it is. Why did I go to that restaurant today? I'm sure my JW relatives would love to say that it was Jehovah's way of reminding me what I'm supposed to be doing. To me, it was the ultimate irony of the universe and/or a chance for me to make amends to someone for something that bothered me for a long, long time. My dad took me out to run my weekly errands. Since I can't drive anymore and he is retired he is always willing to pitch in to help out that way. We usually lunch on Wednesdays, it gives us both an outing and allows him to spend some time with his granddaughter as well. Only, he's not supposed to eat with me, because I'm disfellowshipped. Well, we're sitting in a booth and in walks a group of seven, count 'em, seven pioneers. Most of them I didn't know, the oldest lady in the group smiled at my Dad and said hello, she's known him and my mom since long before I was born. But she didn't know me, so no reaction. Then, in walked a woman I recognized, I had no idea she was this older lady's daughter. She hugged me, it was obvious to me that she had no clue of my 'status'. She asked how I was, told me that my daughter was beautiful, and showed me pictures of her kids. I told her that I'd remarried, and she said "Oh, so have I, it's a whole different world isn't it?" I showed her a picture of my husband and I and said "Yes, we're so happy. It's a different life." My mind, meanwhile was racing a million miles a minute, and I realized the last time I'd seen this pretty woman. It was 16 years ago, we were in the same technical training school. I didn't know at the time that her family and mine were old friends, she was just another classmate that I chatted with over coffee every morning before class. Then, one day, the subject of JW's came up and this girl, who seemed so much older but couldn't have been any more than 25, turned pale. She looked at me and said "You're a witness?" and I said "Yes," and she replied softly "I'm disfellowshipped." I remember at the time being torn so badly about what to say, it was such a shock and I was so young and lets face it, stupid. I knew I was supposed to turn away from her and all, and all my stupic seventeen year old mouth could spit out was "I'm sorry, I can't have coffee with you tomorrow morning." I was never unkind to her, never pretended she wasn't there, I always smiled at her and said "Hi" when I saw her, but I could tell just my being there was upsetting to her. "I'm coming back." she had quickly told me at the time. "I'm already going to meetings." "I can't wait to see you there." I said, and that was it. I was never unkind to her, as many JW's have been to me in public since my df'ing nearly six years ago; I didn't turn away as if she wasn't there. But I did treat her differently, I didn't drink coffee with her, and I have always, always felt so bad about that. Even when I was still a JW, I felt horrible about it. She is the only person I ever knew when I was a JW who was DF'd that I treated differently than any other person on the planet. After that, I never, ever made a distinction again on the basis of a person's standing in the org. I found it just too painful to do. I ended up dropping out of that particular school, but I never, ever forgot Tina (not her real name). I heard after the fact that she had gotten disfellowshipped after a nasty divorce. She was remarried, and I found out later through my parents that she'd been reinstated. I never got to see her when we were both on the same side of the fence. Today, after a few minutes, I looked at her and I said softly (out of earshot of the others) "It's very ironic, when we met, our positions were reversed." She got a horrified look on her face, and she said "Oh, you're disfellowshipped? I didn't know, I'm sorry." "No, I'm sorry, I don't want to bother you." I didn't want her to be embarassed in front of her mother and friends talking to evil me. She was just so flabbergasted she didn't turn away. Then something happened that I was totally unprepared for, I burst into tears. I looked away, and she said "Hey, it happened to me, twice. To one of my siblings too and now you'd never know it. You know what it's all about..." meaning I knew full well what I was supposed to be doing, and that the "truth" was the truth. Same thing everyone else says. "It's just...hard for my family. Hard on my daughter, her dad still takes her to meetings." is all I could get out. But there was something else I wanted to, had to say to her, even though I knew I would look like a fool no matter what I did at this point. "Tina, I have thought about you over the years more than you can imagine. If I could go back and change the first reaction I had that day at school when you said," "Oh, it's okay, it's okay." She said hurriedly. I could tell she wanted to end the conversation. "Well, I wanted you to know that, if I could change it, I would. You, you take care of yourself." I said. "You too," Tina said sadly, and she turned back to her party, who was thankfully chattering among themselves, oblivious to what had just been said between us. I turned back toward my dad and my child who was facing me in the booth and my daughter asked why I was crying. "Long story, honey." I said. I tried to eat my food but suddenly I felt as if everything I'd already swallowed was about to come up. I gulped hard. "I hate long stories." she said. I turned her attention back to her food, and my father just kept eating, not saying a word. I know he didn't want to make me any more upset than I already was. I have felt like a horrible person forever for the way that I refused to socialize with this perfectly fine woman, and the fact that I was as brainwashed as the next borg, only 17, baptized as a child and raised by zealots didn't, and still doesn't make me feel any better. I hope my dad doesn't get into any trouble for being seen in public eating with me. He's only returned to attenting meetings in the past year since he was ill and I don't want to cause him trouble. Not that he has ever truly put all his store in what the elders say. He's too smart. So my question, oh wise comrades at JWD, is what the hell did this happen for? Was it bad timing? Was it just irony making itself apparent? Was it fate giving me a chance to apologize to her so I could let that guilt go? Was it just a slap in the face from fate when I had finally stopped hating myself for making my family miserable? What scares me, what truly, totally scared the shit out of me is what I said to her when she said "You know all about the Truth..." I said "Yes, and you never know what could happen." Meaning, maybe someday I'd go back. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT? I've been out for so long, made so much progress, I would rather be shot at dawn then ever be a Witness again, and that is what comes out of my mouth? What is the matter with me? Where did that come from? Why did I feel like less of a human being than this woman when she was being kinder than any other 10 JW's would have been? Is it from the fact that my sister has reappeared on the periphery of my life in the past few weeks and is trying once again to get to my child while still not dealing with me at all? Is it that I'm sick, tired, and sick and tired of my family being so fucked up? That I would just like for once to be able to sit down with my grandmother and have a meal and know that she's not going to cry over me? I can't believe the words came out of my mouth. I know I never want to say them or feel them or even think them again. I know last week when my mom asked if she could ask one of the local elders to call on me, if I'd want to see him and I said "Mom, he wouldn't approve of my attitude, it wouldn't get us anywhere." I don't want to be a witness, ever, ever again. I dont' want them to get my child. Bad enough she is exposed (on and off) to the cult through her father. But now I'm just sitting here crying, feeling like shit and wondering, is there a lesson for me in all of this? What the hell am I supposed to learn? If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them. Regards to compatriots old and new on the forum, I think of you all more than you know. love, Esmeralda

• Mulan
    Mulan

((((((((((((((Essie)))))))))))))))

I've thought of you so often lately. I think you had that experience so you would be moved to post here, so I won't worry about whether you are alive or not.

I think you handled it brilliantly and I am so happy you posted today. It made my day!!!

• Fleur
    Fleur

(((((((((((Mulan)))))))))))))

So happy to see a friendly face and name. I owe you so many cards in the mail! My health has been crappy so I have gotten behind on so much, but you are never, ever far away from my heart, my friend.

Yeah, maybe it happened so I could come back to the arms of my loving, true family...the 'apostates' LOL (if I ever lose my sense of humor just shoot me.)

((((((((((((((((Mulan)))))))))))))

much love,

Essie

ps. i have to send you new family pictures. you wouldn't believe how huge my daughter is, she's 8 now!

• Nina
    Nina

What happened to you is the same kind of thing that happens to a person who speaks more than one language. If someone comes up and starts speaking Language 1 you answer in Language 1 without even thinking about it, even if you haven't spoken that language in years and years.

"Tina" spoke Watchtowerese to you and you responded in the same language. It doesn't mean you believe it, it just means that you know how to talk the talk.

You'll be OK.

Nina

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Hi! My sister's name is Esmerelda, so an Esmerelda by pretty much any name is okay by me!

I love how whenever you see a witness on the street they always say how much they miss you and wish you'd come back. I always just kinda shrug my shoulders, and depending on who is asking, either say "maybe" or "probably not." Now for me I know damn well I'm never going back, but it just seems like the polite thing to say. If I wasted time everytime I ran to one try to "save" them from the cult, it would be be just that, a waste of time. I think your response was just the expected. Kinda of like when someone asks how you are and you always respond with a "fine" even though you may not be fine, and the person who asks probably doesnt even care. It's just the polite thing to do.

• Princess
    Princess

Hi Essie, nice to see you posting again. I'm so sorry it happened but I think you handled it well. There aren't many JW's I care much about, but possibly a few. I think if I ran into one (that I care about) face to face I might react the same way. To have someone you care about so close, yet so far away would bring on an emotional response from most people.

I think it happened so you would have the chance to apologise. You were able to tell her you were sorry about the way you treated her way back when....and she understood. A little bit of closure maybe?

Stay strong.

Rachel (Mulan's daughter)

• wasasister
    wasasister

Hi Es, glad to see you again.

Don't beat yourself up about your reaction. I often find myself giving vague platitudes when I'm confronted by a (probably) well-meaning Witness. "You just never know" is non-committal and avoids a doctrinal debate, which would not have been appropriate given the time and place. Most Witnesses will make comments like, "you know it's the Truth" in the same way others say, "how are you?", not really expecting an honest response. You did the right thing.

I don't believe in Fate or Universal Movement of People or Events; I tend to think of life as a bunch of stuff that happens and we make the best of it. Sometimes it seems like events are being manipulated, but to me that's just because I tend to remember better certain situations when there are coincidences.

I'm glad you had a chance to put that nagging feeling to rest about the sister you snubbed all those years ago.

And as far as your dad goes, the argument could be made that you and he are discussing necessary family business and I don't think the elders will get too bent out of shape that it happened over food.

Take care of yourself, Essie, and please stop by more often.

Wasa

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Dear Essie!! (or Fleur :)

Oh, Sweetie---I can't tell you how great it was to "hear" that you're still posting!! I have thought and thought about you so many times!!!

Sorry to see how crappy the "religious restrictions" that we all face (that KEEP coming up to slap us in the face and the old "control" issues creep back into our minds---like it or not) have dumped yet another nasty memory in your life. The WTS DOES have a way of doing that, huh?

About what you inadvertantly blurted out....sometimes when we get confronted with a sticky situation and we have to think FAST, things like what you said come popping right out just to settle the waters, even though we don't have a clue as to why we said them OR that we ever intended to follow through with the thought! It just happens...I've done it myself many times...and then when the situation is over---I wonder "WHY the hell did I say THAT" kinda thing, LOL!

It makes me SO angry, when all I want to do is to "get on" with my life (people keep saying to "let it go and move on") but every so often SOMETHING like what happened to you gets shoved in my face and what I call the "ripple effect of the WTS" comes right up and sticks it's butt in my face.....and there's no getting around things..it's come back to haunt me or stick pins in me once AGAIN>

Please don't stop posting here just to vent this one time!....keep all of us who love you, close in mind and know we CARE!!! You're too special to lose track of again!

Hugs,

Annie

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Essie,

I don't kow if we have ever posted to each other, but you crossed my mind the other day, not why sure, when I was browsing the board, how you were, your daughter, your health.

I don't know if there was some meaning behind your meeting of an old JW friend, but I'm glad you got to tell her about your regret in first meeting her. If she knew what you knew, maybe circumstances behind the meeting would have been different.

Good to read your posts, again.

• waiting
    waiting

Hi Essie,

Good to read your words again.........they've been missed by many of us. Your daughter sounds lovely - quite the outgoing girl, eh? And it's great that your father is still part of your family. I doubt if the elders would say much to him, that "family business" scenario is priceless.

As for slipping back into the language of your cult years? Yeah, it happens. I think you handled the whole situation smashingly! Some others of us would have just said "uh....uh....uh.....uh.....uh."

And you gave that twice re-instated woman something to think about....human conscience without cult influence. Who knows?

You did well. Stick around for awhile!

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit